The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > So what do you do for a living?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
DON'T do it!!
why not? Whats wrong wth being a doctor doc?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Rear Admiral

wow all the graphic artists here! count me in too..Sorry no shameless plug...just a humble freelancer that works full time at a newspaper in the art dept. However I am doing a illustrated book on Scandinavian myths. Gods, Goddesses, Heroes, Giants that sort of thing. I hope to have it published soon, so I may go on to other pagan pantheons like Egyptian and Celtic.

Last edited by CAPTAIN MOUSE : 12-08-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekie View Post
Intresting jobs, you all hold, seems I am the only one who enjoys working with animals
You have not met my co-workers then...lol
Old 12-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I'm a Correctional Case Manager with the NC Division of Prisons. Fun stuff.
I bet.
Excellent opportunity for observation.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattieau View Post
why not? Whats wrong wth being a doctor doc?

The problems facing healthcare are multiple, however physicians are subjected to most of them. The amount of responsibility and liability that a doctor faces on a daily basis is unequaled by any other profession yet the restrictions placed upon us are increasing. At least in the United States, the insurance companies are chiseling away at our autonomy and our authority over our patients. Not a day goes by when I don't have to argue for authorization for my patients to receive a specific medication that I prescribed or for a test that I feel they need to undergo. The control over the patient's care has been shifted to the insurers but the responsibility remains with the physicians.

Again, I speak only for circumstances in the USA, but the number of frivilous lawsuits brought on doctors is unrealistic. This has resulted in an increase in malpractice insurance premiums that has put some of my colleagues out of a job. The funny thing is that the only reason that lawsuit awards have become so exorbitant is because malpractice insurance even exists. While the liability that we face increases, the compensation we receive only decreases. Due to cuts in reimbursements, my own yearly income has dropped about $50,000 this past year. Mind you, I haven't performed fewer procedures or taken care of fewer patients. The only way for this to be countered is for doctors to see more patients and take on more responsibility. As a result, the overall quality of the care being given can only decrease. Those of us who try to maintain our standards for patients are only punished by earning far less money. Satisfaction in my field is at an all time low.

Just today, I had the mother of a patient ask me to reduce my fee for her uninsured son so she wouldn't have to pay as much. Do you think she'd ask the same of the electric company when her monthly bill arrived? Do you think she'd ask the same at the grocery store, or at a clothing store? Why should I be different? Because I went into this field primarily to help people and not for personal gain?? The bottom line is that this is how I make my living, and it is becoming harder and harder to do so the way things are. I answered her by saying that her son had been diagnosed with a problem however it is very treatable and I believed he would be fine... most other parents hearing that would think "Thank G-d!" as opposed to "How much?" The general public has a very false impression of physicians' lifestyles, and this is propagated in part by doctors with big egos who refuse to admit thier financial turn for the worst.

Matt, the best advice I can offer anyone is that becoming a doctor is something one does if one is convinced that nothing else in the world would make them as happy. If there is something else that could make you as happy, I'd do that other thing. I just want your decision to be an informed one.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Ensign

Professional writer and consultant.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Ensign

Right now i work in the Administration Dep. in a Hospital.
Next year i'm hoping to begin my education to become a teacher !