The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > So who's gonna 'fess up???
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

There is truth in that.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Fleet Admiral

I still can't bring myself to lessen the name of Star Wars for the sake of Star Trek...no matter how nicely one might put it.

I mean no disrespect....but....from where I sit...it still smacks of elitism and pretense.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I still can't bring myself to lessen the name of Star Wars for the sake of Star Trek...no matter how nicely one might put it.

I mean no disrespect....but....from where I sit...it still smacks of elitism and pretense.
Why? because I disagree with you? There's no sin in not liking a movie. Why is that so threatening? I like plenty of bad movies; I'm no movie snob.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
I didn't have a problem with Jar Jar. My main problem with the new trilogy was the writing was lazy, incredibly lazy IMO. In fact it didn't even seem to click for me until the end of Attack of the Clones. There you had division between Obiwan and Anikan and Anikan was mature enough and rebellious enough to take action against the Jedi Order. Also his love for Padme finally seemed more than a crush once we got to the end of Attack of the Clones. It wasn't until the end of Attack of the Clones that it felt like Star Wars or had anything to do with Star Wars aside from name characters being involved. And still even then, it was cheap story-telling. Revenge of the Sith is by far the best of the new trilogy cause at least it has a story that grabs, at least grabs me and somewhat shows where Vader and Obiwan are coming from in the original trilogy and isn't that the point of a prequel trilogy, to show how these things came to be?

It seems to me that Lucas was far more interested in visuals than story and it suffered because of this. I think Saquist, I think it was Saquist, said it best when he said the star of the new trilogy was a lightsaber. That's very true, look at Star Wars, Empire and Jedi, it's character, character, character and the effects are amazing yes, but character reigns supreme. The new trilogy is the exact opposite.

I remember Lucas once saying that, 'a special effect without a story is a very boring thing'. I find it pretty ironic. But to be honest I own all the star wars movies and when I want to just sit back after a hard day and turn my mind off I'll watch Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones, but if I want to think and appreciate, I watch the original trilogy and sometimes Revenge of the Sith because at least it does have story.
There was one character that, to me, did reign supreme in Episode I. The character that stood up, and stood out, way past Aniken, Obi-Wan and Padme'. The character who really made me want to stand up and cheer, and the character that brought me close to tears. Quai-Gon Jin.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Admiral

I totally agree! In watching the new trilogy there were few characters I really cared about, which is a large reason I didn't like it. Quai-Gon was one; the other was Palpatine. Those were the only two characters in the trilogy I could really feel for or root for. Certainly Quai-Gon in Phantom, but in Revenge, the only character that really reached me, that I felt something for was Palpatine, I wonder if that was Lucas' intention, cause I really didn't care about anyone else.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 12-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Alas, I am not. Believe me, I enjoy watching Star Wars, and can't wait to let my son watch it... but I cannot escape the fact it isn't a "great" movie. It's like candy - enjoyable but not nutritious.

Star Trek often is both, tasty and nutritious!
I disagree, I think Starwars was a great movie. It was certainly lightning in a bottle, things coming together at the right place and time and I think from start to finish it is tight, a terrifically tight, simple film. The world it takes place in is so chalked full of detail and there really is no explanation for that detail, you're left to just try to figure it all out for yourself.

Certainly 'Empire' was more sophisticated and more of a drama that happened to take place in space and on other planets, but both films I do think worked beautifully. 'Jedi' was more or less tying up loose ends a last act to 'Empire' that didn't stand as well on it's own as a complete film but as for the first two, I definitely think they should go into the canon of film achievement.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:56 AM
Fleet Admiral

It was great with a simple plot: Save the girl save the Planet.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Exactly