The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > ST:XI Shirts - A geek question.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
I live in a part of California where young people have seen weirder things. As a youngster I saw someone dressed as Conan in line for that movie and it made me want to see it more.

I'm also braver in my advanced years, I wished I had the courage in my youth to dress as a Jedi for Star Wars or some character in other movies I've seen. Audience participation is a draw for some, go to a Comic Con and see how many people get into it.

I didn't not see LOTR because there were hobbits in line even though I never read the books before seeing the films.

The last film I saw where people dressed up was the new Bond, I couldn't count the number of guys wearing Tux's. I saw "To Wong Foo" surrounded by men in Drag. Star Wars EP. 1 had a group of teenage girls that came together all dressed as Leia in the Ep. IV, white gown with the Buns hairdo. Indiana Jones IV had a bunch of grown men all wearing the Fedora. I can go on.

So I ask you ...... PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE! Get a red, blue or yellow shirt and wear it proud if you are a fan. Any young person who finds that weird will probably go see it just to see why "Weird" people are dressing up.
I agree completly. I remember back in 86 when Star Trek 4 came out, it was the day before Thanksgiving, it opened on Wed to take advantage of the holiday weekend. This is the first time I saw Klingons, Vulcans and a few Federation officers. I too think it's a great opportunity for fans to get out and do their thing. When you are in a car club, you gtg with your buddies. When you are a Star Trek fan, you don the ears and go out to support the movies. I myself have never done that, but I don't look down on those who do.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Commander

*If you enjoy a form of entertainment and you wish to promote that form of entertainment with what you wear, then given the proper occasion. Go ahead!*
I agree and have even said as much myself.
It is an accepted part of the spectacle.
Taking it too far as someone already mentioned by using a weapon in a threatening manner is not, for example. That constitutes as a crime - attempted assault and/or assault with a deadly weapon, depending on where you live.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
Hyper Spanner, Sonic Screwdriver .... Doesn't matter, I'm just bringing a LARGE, HEAVY TOOL for head cracking.

Aw Hell, I'll just bring a handgun! Not as heavy.
That would be highly inadvisable. If you require a weapon at the theater, buy cherry vines at the concessions counter. Not only do they make serviceable garrotes, they're also quite tasty.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
That would be highly inadvisable. If you require a weapon at the theater, buy cherry vines at the concessions counter. Not only do they make serviceable garrotes, they're also quite tasty.
LOL: That is the best advice I've gotten on this thread. I could use them as a whip too!

Vulcan Smiley by DNA-1842
Old 12-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
As far as weapons go, I prefer the subtle approach. Just buy everyone a box of malted milk balls, a large popcorn and a hot dog. In 20 years, they'll all keel over of heart attacks and nobody will be the wiser.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Captain

3 drops of nicotine concentrate in a 24 oz. cup of soda would do the same job far more quickly, emulating the effects of digitalis purpurea.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Commander

*As far as weapons go, I prefer the subtle approach.*
If you must. I hear the pen is mightier than the sword for subtlety.

Bringing a big sharp and pointy Klingon blade thingy to a movie would tend to get out of hand. The danger to innocents through "accident" is unwarranted. I mentioned the person who was rushed and nearly resorted to self-defense. Weapons of that nature are irresponsible to bring to a theater regardless.

I've seen innocent people hurt in line just with plastic lightsabers from people goofing off with them.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
*As far as weapons go, I prefer the subtle approach.*
If you must. I hear the pen is mightier than the sword for subtlety.

Bringing a big sharp and pointy Klingon blade thingy to a movie would tend to get out of hand. The danger to innocents through "accident" is unwarranted. I mentioned the person who was rushed and nearly resorted to self-defense. Weapons of that nature are irresponsible to bring to a theater regardless.

I've seen innocent people hurt in line just with plastic lightsabers from people goofing off with them.
I don't know about any of the rest of you, but I would hate to be asked why I was wearing an eye patch, and have to admit that I got my eye poked out with a toy Lightsaber. That is SO not worth losing 50% of my vision for.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Rear Admiral

Weapons?! We don't need no stinking weapons!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

''A dagger of the mind''.

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)