The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > To Take Abrams at his word, or not to?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Federation Councillor

Default To Take Abrams at his word, or not to?

I was recently re-reading the Empire magazine special on Star Trek from a couple months back and read some passages from Abrams about his approach and take on the film.

I just thought given the heavy discussion from the past weeks that it may serve useful to go back to an earlier stage and remember his own words on the film. Which include:

'If you're going to do a Star Trek movie you have to embrace it. You don't try and change everything so that what you end up with doesn't resemble what it came from. Otherwise, just come up with something else and don't bother calling it Star Trek'

'What this movie is doing is focusing the concept, not rethinking it. At the same time though, anyone who thinks they have seen it all before, who thinks they know what Trek is, they're in for a surprise when they see this movie'.

'What Roddenberry was doing in the original series, and one of the aspects that appealed to me most, was positing that humanity would survive, that they woudl thrive. We would one day not only be able to travel beyond our solar system, but people of all races and colours would work together. What this movie is doing is embracing that optimism; it's focusing on the core characters - most notably, Kirk and Spock - and is telling a story of how this group, this family comes together. We're not simply showing the scenes that took place before the series began though. It's much more in depth than that'.

'For me, the costumes were a microcosm of the entire project, which was how to take something that's kind of silly and make it feel real. But how do make legitimate those near-primary costumes? How do make legitimate the pointy ears and bowl-haircut? It's as ridiculous and potentially cliched as it gets. How do you watch Galaxy Quest and then make a Star Trek movie?'

and, last

'If you don't mention dilithium crystals at least once, then you haven't made Star Trek'

Words to strike fear into the heart, or simply someone being honest about his feelings for the project he wanted to take on?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Lieutenant

All this brings us back to is...as someone in another post put it...

"Canon and canon! What is Canon?!"

JJ and company clearly have their idea of what Star Trek is, and what can and can not be changed...and each fan has their own.

We will see in May if JJ and Company's ideas mesh with the larger whole.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

I said it once and I'll say it again. " I don't care."

So much has changed that...it might as well be another movie..."visually"
But I give him a chance to convince me...not with his words that are potentialy crafted just to get me into the theatre...

but because It's Star Trek. And I like Star Trek.
If he says he's trying to recapture that which began in the original series. Then I waant to see what he's come up with. But at this point canon is utterly irrelevant.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

Nice samples, Kevin.
I got the impression that they change superficial stuff yet keep the core intact, kinda like repainting an old house or giving your computer a new housing.
So the ship looks different, yet the fictional technology remains. New Enterprise, still driven by warp drive. The characters look different and are differently played, but (hopefully) their key traits stay intact. And most important, no 'Dark Trek'. ENT, DS9 and NEM ventured into that direction with ambiguous success.

Does not reveal much about the plot though. Concerning JJA's honesty, I take it for granted. Blunt lies would do him quite some harm.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Federation Councillor

Agreed, someone on another thread else posted a very interesting idea that there may be things about canon that are essential, and some that are non-essential. I agreed with that, and that may be the root of some of the changes. Of course for some all canon is essential and that's fine too, but I feel there can be a line drawn at a certain point about what's totally necessary and what isn't. Of course, J.J's line may not agree with everyone - if that's what he's done.

And I used to consider myself a canonite for a long time years back, until I realised that I actually wasn't - as long as the essential pieces are there I can work around the rest. I don't apologise for that if it doesn't go down well with others.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Vice Admiral

i trust jj and i like his approach of things,he has my complete support
Old 12-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Vice Admiral

After re-reading JJ's statements quoted above, I actually am having better feelings about the movie. Nimoy's statements and his very participation in the movie were my primary source of hope that this would be a good Trek movie no matter how it is "dressed up". Now I see JJ's own words in much the same way.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:33 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Agreed, someone on another thread else posted a very interesting idea that there may be things about canon that are essential, and some that are non-essential. I agreed with that, and that may be the root of some of the changes. Of course for some all canon is essential and that's fine too, but I feel there can be a line drawn at a certain point about what's totally necessary and what isn't. Of course, J.J's line may not agree with everyone - if that's what he's done.

And I used to consider myself a canonite for a long time years back, until I realised that I actually wasn't - as long as the essential pieces are there I can work around the rest. I don't apologise for that if it doesn't go down well with others.
Opinions about what is essential to Trek and what is not differ, so some people will claim that JJA is a liar and some people won't after they saw the movie.
I give him credit (if it proves to be true) for resisting the current trend to produce atmospherically dark movies. Obviously the optimistic, bright future is something essential to JJA et al., while sticking with all details of the original interior and exterior ship design ain't, an opinion I share,
Old 12-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Vice Admiral

I don't see any reason for Abrams to lie about things, so yes, I take him at his word. And he's right about seeing Galaxy Quest and then trying to make a Trek movie - it's gotta be tough to filter the silly cliches from the core elements.