The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The Good Trek Movie Good: What is your favourite Trek Movie?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite Trek Movies
Star Trek: The Motion Picture 4 10.00%
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan 20 50.00%
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock 4 10.00%
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home 7 17.50%
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier 1 2.50%
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country 11 27.50%
Star Trek: Generations 3 7.50%
Star Trek: First Contact 14 35.00%
Star Trek: Insurrection 3 7.50%
Star Trek: Nemesis 3 7.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Ensign

I voted for The Wrath of Khan. This movie is fantastic!
Old 02-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Lieutenant Commander

The Wrath of Khan was the best movie in my opinion. The hatred between Kirk and Khan was intense and Spock dying at the end scared me the first time I saw, then my mom told me he was saved at the end of the third film. Still I have to say that WOK was my favorite.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Lieutenant

Default St Vi

Got my vote because it's the only one I can watch more than twice.

"It might not be so bad. For all we know the Vorta could be gluttonous, alcoholic sex maniacs."
~Quark and Ziyal
Old 02-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Ensign

2, 6, and FC.

2 because it was powerful.
6 because it was meaningful.
FC because it was epic.

**Quick thought** Since this isn't particularly related to STXI, wouldn't this topic be better off in the Star Trek Movies section?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

STII: TWOK is undoubtedly the best... I think IV was the one most like TOS and VI tied thinks up nicely but there were a few "hinky" things in VI that could have been massaged a bit more...

The only Next Gen Film I like was Generations because they wrecked the "love boat". And they showed it twice! ;-)... This made room for the truely cool design of Enterprise E.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Midshipman

Without a shadow of a doubt, "First Contact". Truely TNG's finest hour.

- Some random bloke that clearly took a lot of shortcuts
Old 02-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Midshipman

My opinion on this matter is decidedly skewed. As a six year old I found and fell in love with TOS. Being a tiny child, I was quite confused when I got my Star Trek coloring books for X-mas and found that the Enteprise itself had been changed dramatically. More than just the tails of the nacelles- this ship had undergone a readical refit and I loved it. I was simply unaware of the movies... until one fateful day when my parents took me to see STIII. I was overwhelmed. It was all the characters I'd lived, but their uniforms looked AWESOME! The effects were overwhelming, and as far as I knew Spock was going to be fine.

The real money shot was the self-destruction of the Enterprise. That ship was a source of constant fascination for my young mind. I wasn't exposed enough to know that there were action figures and models (which I was too young for anyway) and miniatures. Seeing that ship plunge chaotically from orbit onto the ironically named Genesis planet was the most powerful image I'd laid my eyes on by that point.

But then it came down to the one thing I'd REALLY been waiting for: retribution. The whole film had been a build-up to this, and I wanted some Kirkian-level violence. The brutal battle that ensued did NOT disappoint.

It also taught me that nothing is more important than friends and family. To me, that ship was Kirk's sword, and a warrior without a weapon is in grave jeopardy indeed. Still, he, the whole crew, went the distance. They risked the ship, their lives and their careers for a friend and succeeded.

There are other movies in the series that stand out as better overall films, (6 and 8 come to mind) and the images of the Enterprise D eating **** in seven were also powerful (despite the Godzilla sets), but I stand by this choice.

Not to offend anyone, but I don't understand the appeal of Insurrection at all. To me it stands as the slowest, most plodding film of the series. It just seems like a jazzy couple of episodes of TNG.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegawrath View Post

Not to offend anyone, but I don't understand the appeal of Insurrection at all. To me it stands as the slowest, most plodding film of the series. It just seems like a jazzy couple of episodes of TNG.

Here, Here! I agree 100%... Frankly anything Berman touched became tedious for me to watch...
Old 02-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Federation Councillor

Post ST:TMP Director's Cut Or Part Duex (2001)

[quote=Gary Seven;11145]After the ST:TMP letdown in 1979 the franchise could have easily folded right there and then. Maybe we expected too much from it and perhaps Robert Wise didn't really know or appreciate what he was getting into. More likely, however, was the rush to get the project on screen and Roddenberry's influence that bogged down the story. Seen as a re-boot of the TOS episode "The Changeling" the movie offered very little. While it was a reunion and provided a breathtaking panorama of the Enterprise, the interaction amongst the crew was sterile and unsatisfying. Much like the pajama-like uniforms they wore.

Ok Robert Wise has been unfairly blamed for the faluts of this movie for decades! So let me please explaing why TMP had "the sleeping factor"

1. The film was booked into theatres and Paramount told Wise and Roddenberry it had to be in THEN!

2. This films super budget also included all the costs from the failed "Star Trek:Phase II" Tv series (Keep in mind sets had been built, costumes made, Enterprise model mostly made. All of this had to be scraped beacuse of the resolution of TV vs. Movie at the time. As well as all the actors "Play Or Pay" contracts.)

3. Wise was doing a rought cut of the film the night before it's premire, due to the fact they had to use effects houses to make the shots after they found the original people made effects so bad they were deemed unusable.

4. Wise got saddled with a script that was reworked from Phase II as the Piolt episode, The TV version of the script was made to run 82 mins!! So pages had to be added in a hurry.

5. Whole plots and scenes had to be dropped and rewritten due to time conrstaints and the aforementioned effects issues.

When you think about all this, it amazing the film is a good as it was. If you watch the "Director's Cut" it fixes alot of these issues as well as adding back in things that had been storyboarded, but couldn;t be done, or was and deemed unsusable. This version is actually a non boring film!