The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > This The New Big E?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post
While, I'm giving this movie a chance...I really don't like the look of the new E. The movie would have looked better IMO with the Red October model floating through space...and yes, I was watching the Family Guy Star Wars episode.

But, you obviously like the new E...so more power to ya.
LordIsaiah, Saint, and all other fans of the 'REAL' ship, as Zin would say...

Please do not mistake my enthusiasm and love for the Abrams' new design as an affront to all those Fans loyal to the TOS ship - I truly love the ol' NBC-TV Enterprise as well.

Just very excited over the re-invention. And the new cooooooooooooooooool look of Enterprise. Closest thing we will ever have to another opportunity to newly experience/rediscover the TOS Trek again, as some of us did 40 years ago (I'm 48)...

My 2 quatloos...

Old 12-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Lieutenant

Interesting...as at 29, I choose to rediscover things not for myself, but through enjoying my 2 year old son's reaction to things I find mundane.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post
Interesting...as at 29, I choose to rediscover things not for myself, but through enjoying my 2 year old son's reaction to things I find mundane.
I recommend employing not 1 but both perspectives...

Old 12-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Lieutenant

Ahh, but if I do that, I lose my reputation as a stubborn old mule, which means I received too much blood from an opposing clan.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek View Post
LOL - no - just my way of saying fortunately the new Big E looks like it does...

Always looking at things as half-empty rather than half-full, eh?

Ever think of dropping the 'S' in your username???

Someone filler up...

Old 12-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Lieutenant

BTW, while I was thinking about Star Trek, and the redesign for the need, I was drawn to a book, "Best Destiny" by Diane Carey...the team that wrote "Final Frontier". Both books have been referenced as inspiration by Orci and Kurtzman for the script of the new movie. I noticed that at some point in the past, I highlighted a passage in the book. It's a Walt Whitman poem that's on a plaque on Starbase One (which, in the book, is implied to be the orbital Space Dock from the movies III, IV, V, and VI).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Whitman
"Sail forth-steer for the deep waters only,
Reckless O soul, exploring. I with thee and thou with me.
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go.
And we will risk the ship, ourselves, and all."
I accept "Star Trek"'s explanation that he is merely excited by the prospect of "rediscovering" Star Trek. But, in defense of all of us whom love the old design. We are just waiting for something from the new design. Once again, Diane Carey said it best in "Best Destiny"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Carey
Ships were like that. Something had changed in the ship's heart. Suddenly she wanted to be part of him instead of the other way around.
I think a lot of us "old timers" may be feeling that...we're waiting for the ship to want us to accept her.

Last edited by lordisaiah : 12-06-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Please do not mistake my enthusiasm and love for the Abrams' new design as an affront to all those Fans loyal to the TOS ship - I truly love the ol' NBC-TV Enterprise as well.

Just very excited over the re-invention. And the new cooooooooooooooooool look of Enterprise. Closest thing we will ever have to another opportunity to newly experience/rediscover the TOS Trek again, as some of us did 40 years ago (I'm 48)...

Thank you for finding a way to express something that I just couldn't manage to articulate.

Although I am not nearly as old (only 28 here) I still remember seeing Star Trek for the first time as a kid. "Amok Time" was the episode, funnily enough. But even in the 80's, while TNG was just beginning with its updated effects and more futuristic-looking sets, I was enraptured by Star Trek. TNG was simply too heady for me, at seven years old. But good old Star Trek - it was cool. It was like a western, except it took all the good parts out of those shows my dad watched that I couldn't stand - like Gunsmoke and Bat Masterson - and put them on a spaceship, and on other planets, and generally made them something that I could watch and still feel cool. The action sequences (especially the starship fights) were hokey, fine, but the tension and martial-sounding music were riveting to me. I wanted to BE Captain Kirk, flying around, giving orders to a big crew, kicking @$$ now and then, and every once in a while doing something science-y.

Then I grew up and started to understand what the TNG people were talking (and talking, and talking) about, and I watched that show instead. For the drama, mostly, and the various space-anomaly-episodes, which were more compelling in TNG because of the improved effects. But I never really wanted to "be" Picard. I never felt the same way about TNG (or anything since) that I felt about TOS. I've watched many old TOS episodes since, of course - I consider the remastering to have been tastefully done, btw - but there has never again been that air of awe and newness.

This movie seems to be offering that sense of unfamiliarity. I know who the characters are - but perhaps I don't. The ship is different. The effects and the music will likely be different. It's Trek, new again, and that appeals to the little kid in me, who's been missing Strange, New Worlds for a long, long time. This movie's very existence has gotten me interested in Trek again, after about 10 years or so of growing apathy.

Quote:
That's schweet. I think I'm gonna make some kind of signature with the new E, when I get some spare time.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJG Iferal View Post
Thank you for finding a way to express something that I just couldn't manage to articulate.

That's schweet. I think I'm gonna make some kind of signature with the new E, when I get some spare time.
Very cool to say, LT...

Thanks...

Old 12-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Lieutenant

Looks like warp speed ..... Cool!