The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I come as an Emissary to canonistas and revisionists...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Nice red herring.
To be honest, I was just happy with my 1941 quip

Old 12-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Well, clearly Abrams and Paramount made a decision to go another way. And since Paramount and Abrams' company are footing the bill you mention, they can pretty much do that.
Heaven forbid this kind of real-world logic be applied to the Trekkyverse!

Old 12-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
As Damage75 so wisely pointed out, the Enterprise isn't real. They could draw my butt on it and say it's a gas-powered engine and they'd be right! Why? Because the writers and director are... making all of this up.
Jer and I will be stepping off to the side to have an adult moment where we appreciate each other thoroughly...

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 12-05-2008, 02:41 AM
Captain

Quote:
As Damage75 so wisely pointed out, the Enterprise isn't real. They could draw my butt on it and say it's a gas-powered engine and they'd be right! Why? Because the writers and director are... making all of this up.
And if suspension of disbelief weren't a good and even necessary thing for science fiction to work, they could have dancing puppets come out and sing that to the audience before the curtain rises.

When you're serving up the impossible, you better wrap it in as much plausible as you can, or ain't nobody gonna swallow it.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-05-2008, 04:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
All this technobabble about how this Star Trek represents a lack of science. Again where were you when scifi first started showing spaceships exploding with loud booms in space, and still doing it?

I try to imagine what would happen if "Star Trek Wrath of Khan" were filmed today. Same way. Same fx. By today's cynical critics who expect "science faction" instead of "science fiction", people like you would have blown WOK out of the water.
Some things are adapted to appeal to our senses.
Let's say we didn't hear anything. Does it make it any less fiction? I don't think so. If people enjoy it more with aircraft and ship noises...well so be it.

Quote:
And if suspension of disbelief weren't a good and even necessary thing for science fiction to work, they could have dancing puppets come out and sing that to the audience before the curtain rises.

When you're serving up the impossible, you better wrap it in as much plausible as you can, or ain't nobody gonna swallow it.

Amazingly Trek has gotten alot right. Remeber the episode with Geordi tapping into a whole new realm of subspace and it results in the crew being experimented on by creatures from another dimension. One of concepts of subspace is that gravity waves can traverse the barrier between Dimensions. According the String Theory that is correct.

I really have to give to the Star Trek People. I've noticed on just about every episode there is a NASA or scientific advisor so they tend to do their homework on this stuff. It's meant to make sense.

As far as we're concerned it's not possible but most people aren't used to thinking on this level. Trek is making sense of things that typical audience don't think about ever. That's why it's refered to as technobable.

I've admired this about trek making science a weekly entertainment thing. For those that do listen and who's intrest is peaked they find that there are incredible thoughts of discovery and exploration.

So I secretly wonder why so many Trek fans think the genre is about social issues. It think Q actualy touched on it.

For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you had never considered. *That* is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:46 AM
Captain

Quote:

Dancing puppets? Sign me up!
Old 12-05-2008, 05:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
Dancing puppets? Sign me up!
Throw in the Swedish Chef, and sign me up too!

Old 12-05-2008, 05:36 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post
Warp coils are.....not real. Thanks for playing!
Warp...coils...not...REAAAALLL!?!?!?!?!

SAY IT AIN'T SOOOOO!

But seriously. The whole "it's not real" thing, it's getting old. We all know it's not real. We all know it's make believe. That's why it's called Science "FICTION". Get over it. You're not being funny anymore. It's bordering on insulting and patronizing. This is a discussion board. We are discussing a fictional universe. Even in a fictional universe, there are still rules.

Quote:
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
All this technobabble about how this Star Trek represents a lack of science. Again where were you when scifi first started showing spaceships exploding with loud booms in space, and still doing it?
It is quite true that sounds can't travel through the vacuum of space. Nor can smell, as pointed out by Mr. Spock to Chekov in "The Trouble With Tribbles". However, a movie with a lot of space battle scenes would be pretty boring if they stuck strictly to science, and there were no sounds. This is entertainment, not science class. You want realism, watch the Discovery channel. You want excitement and adventure, watch a movie.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:37 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I secretly wonder why so many Trek fans think the genre is about social issues.
Star Trek does cover many social issues (since science fiction seems to be a far better format to encompass such stories than just about any other genre), but no, it's not the "be all, end all" of the essence of Trek any more than "space battles", or "exploration." Star Trek is greater than the sum of its parts. Star Trek has a little something for everyone.

I think some people (speaking of the U.S., and NOT the world abroad...so please understand my use of terms in context ) who might be in minority races, or might be of minority factions/socio-political groups cling to Star Trek, because in a way it gives them a voice that most other shows or even the news media might not. Yes, for the most part the stories are fairly sanitized, but if it gets a positive message out in the process for them, then boom.....people have seen it, and like it or not, the story and the idea is now in the social consciousness (at least of those who partake of Star Trek). And with no disrespect to anyone here, I think that's where Star Trek sort of gets its perceived status as a "social values" show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist
It think Q actualy touched on it.

For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you had never considered. *That* is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence.
One of the quotes that made "All Good Things...." such a gem for TNG. One of the best done series finales I've ever seen.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim

It is quite true that sounds can't travel through the vacuum of space. Nor can smell, as pointed out by Mr. Spock to Chekov in "The Trouble With Tribbles". However, a movie with a lot of space battle scenes would be pretty boring if they stuck strictly to science, and there were no sounds. This is entertainment, not science class. You want realism, watch the Discovery channel. You want excitement and adventure, watch a movie.

Although the movie wasn't much good, RobotJox did have a very effective way of dealing with the no-sound-in-space issue when it came to their 'mechas having fights in outer space.

When a 'mecha would fire its weapons, it would be audibly highlighted by orchestral hits from the film score, as would explosions, and zoom by's.

It had the right idea to deal with such "realism". It's just too bad the film seemed to suck donkey yarbles.

LOL! And one of my philosophies has been:

If I want to think, I'll read a book. When I see a movie, I want to turn my brain off.