The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > TOS Prequel Fiction.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which format would you prefer for a TOS prequel that does not contradict canon?
Teleplay (television episode) 15 62.50%
Screenplay (feature length film) 9 37.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky D View Post
Write a book. Unless you have connections (which you may have) getting a TV or movie script purchased is typically an exercise in futility.
Good advice. First draft of the STSOP novel is done. Published author Glenn E. Smith (The Call of Duty) and I are collaborating on the arse-backward adaptation from my screenplay to the novel.

But you're right. I have one movie under my belt but unless one knows the right people at the right time and has the right script, it is daunting. And on top of that, one might have to also sell their soul along with it. But...it's fun as heck charging windmills.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky D View Post
Write a book. Unless you have connections (which you may have) getting a TV or movie script purchased is typically an exercise in futility.
It's not being created for any kind of monetary compensation whatsoever.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
It's not being created for any kind of monetary compensation whatsoever.
Art for the sake of art. That is a rare trait that I have a lot of respect for. Enjoy the journey Saint - with your knowledge of Trek I'm sure it will be a fine project.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Since it's been asked, and since I said that I'd do it if and when I find the time...

Which would you prefer I write for a TOS prequel? Television episode or feature film?
Which are you inspired to write?

With all due respect, I feel that if you do this because you were asked, the product will be sub-par. And what if you don't find the time? Then this task becomes a burden as you struggle to find time to do it.

Do you have any previously published work I could read?
Old 12-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Ensign

Use april he is the ultimate unknown quantity and needs to be explored as does his crew
Old 12-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Corrigan View Post
Do you have any previously published work I could read?
I'm primarily a ghostwriter, Ethan -- I get paid sums of money which are usually adequate and occasionally exorbitant to write novels, novellas, teleplays and screenplays that get published under other peoples' names. Because part of the reason my pay is sometimes exorbitant is, in fact, that I sell the right to take credit for it, I could walk you into a Borders and hand you four or five books, at least two of which you'd probably recognize fairly easily -- but I could not, under the the terms of the NDAs I signed, tell you that I wrote them.

In written form, I can't even give you the titles. I can, however, direct you to the Off Topic section; look for a thread called "Rebels of Gor" which was done to fill a personal (though still paid) request. See if the writing style and "voice" remind you of anything you've read. Best clue I can give you, for legal reasons.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
I'm primarily a ghostwriter, Ethan -- I get paid sums of money which are usually adequate and occasionally exorbitant to write novels, novellas, teleplays and screenplays that get published under other peoples' names. Because part of the reason my pay is sometimes exorbitant is, in fact, that I sell the right to take credit for it, I could walk you into a Borders and hand you four or five books, at least two of which you'd probably recognize fairly easily -- but I could not, under the the terms of the NDAs I signed, tell you that I wrote them.

In written form, I can't even give you the titles. I can, however, direct you to the Off Topic section; look for a thread called "Rebels of Gor" which was done to fill a personal (though still paid) request. See if the writing style and "voice" remind you of anything you've read. Best clue I can give you, for legal reasons.
Fair enough. You also answered another question I had. I actually didn't know what a ghost writer was, so thanks.

Anything literary in high school was my worst subject. I hated it. As I got older and started doing online RPGs, I enjoyed it more and I found that I enjoyed the challenge of putting my feelings and emotions into writing. Or trying to describe a scene with only words.

Personally, I have trouble writing unless I have some emotional connection with the subject matter. Otherwise, it just sounds like drivel.

I suppose I was wrong to assume that everyone needs the same conditions I do to write something worth reading.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Not the middle initial, no.
Just a quick thought - you have been a very vocal critic of other people's work on this forum. It's interesting to me that all you have written so far is a few character names and already people are picking you up on canon. I believe that anyone writing Star Trek material inevitably gets into hot canon-flavoured water many times over a full length piece. In terms of one of your stated movitations for writing this piece ("proving a point"), I notice you've chosen not to use Kirk, Spock and the gang. If you want to prove your point about the inadequacies of the movie, for me you're sidestepping the issue by setting your work at an earlier time with a captain and crew who have never featured in TOS. Isn't it part of your point that the JJ Abrams film has messed about with Star Trek history? I understand you might just want to do it for creative reasons, which is perfectly understandable - it's your time you're expending after all.

I'm not knocking your new project, I would like to read it (whatever you choose to write about). Given the tone of this forum, I can understand why many Star Trek writers would want to set their work in the delta guadrant or in the past before TOS. Excessive adherance to canon is a creative straitjacket (writers on various incarnations of the show have battled it). I wonder if you will find yourself defending against exactly the same pedantry and negativity which the new film has attracted. Just a thought.

Last edited by Scribbler : 12-06-2008 at 11:42 PM.