The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Rated 'R' ?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I didn't mind the blood, since they're meant to be aliens after all. And as for canon issues... we can just say that their pink blood was a short-term side effect of the Praxis radiation.
This is why most Trek canon discussions are silly and folks need to chill out over the new film.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Yes, I've read interviews to that effect, especially the CE3K idea of a father leaving his family behind to go looking for answers on his own, but in films like 'Minority Report' and 'War of the Worlds' parts of the 'happy' ending were incongrous with the mood of the films to that point, and it did undermine them a little.

That's IMO of course!
I felt Minority Report ended well. It definitely didn't feel like Steven was robbing me of the rest of the film and my price of admission as it felt in War of the Worlds' ending.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
I don't remember any red blood in II. Spock's face was green.
I's been a long time so I'll have to check it out again. I thought Spock too his glove off and put his hand on the glass seperating him and Kirk. When he died his hand slid down and there was a smear of red blood.

If someone can check it before i do, let me know.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Commander

I don't recall any blood smears on the glass... but Khan's face was very badly burned and bloody close to the end. Also Peter Preston, who was in horrific shape when Scotty brought him to the bridge and as he lay dying.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Lieutenant

You are correct,green face and hands and no blood smear. Had to pop in the disc to be sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I don't recall any blood smears on the glass... but Khan's face was very badly burned and bloody close to the end. Also Peter Preston, who was in horrific shape when Scotty brought him to the bridge and as he lay dying.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Ensign

I think that as long as we don't get a "Monsters Ball" type scene we should be ok and not get the R rating.

Ratings change all teh time as was shown in teh posts towards the beginning. Funny how what was R not long ago can be classified now as PG-13 or even PG and yet games have the opposit issue with ratings going so bad as to issue teen ratings with teh warning "smoking".

I cannot fault Speilburg for changing his views on movies after having children. I had gone through the same since having children I cannot play the first Max Payne game because of teh overturned crib and blood. I just cannot get past that scene. Where I draw the line though is when using CG to alter past movies (ie remove guns and replace with radios not to be confused with updating the effects which does not change the context of teh scene.). I beleive the intergraty of the original release should be maintained.
AI was a gut wreching movie for me to watch with a depressing ending. The only movie more depressing that AI was What Dreams May Come. I realize he was just finishing Kubrics work but I consider it his worst movie but then again I liked 1941. I don't mind his facination with aliens but not in everything and Indy IV I just wanted to bash my head into a wall. For pete's sake it was a ripoff of SG-SG1 episode called Crystal Skull. I usually love his work including the not so popular Always but... ooops. Sorry I went off on a rant but atleast I didn't say Uncharted: Drake's Fortune would have been a better Indy movie than the last Indy movie... oh wait

Anyway, I don't think JJ will give us an R rated Star Trek. If so, I feel there are going to be a lot of upset fans.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Artificial Intelligence

My standards are scriptural as I'm Chrisitan. I consider it all inappropriate but there is a line I won't cross for the sake of entertainment. Trek has done a great job with avoiding that line untill Star Trek Enterprise.
What does "Christian standards" have to do with the rating of this film? Not everyone in the world is a "christian" and has to subscribe to that "standard". If there was full frontal nudity in Star Trek, so be it. It is the will of those making the movie. Please from now on refrain from bringing your religious beliefs into the forum.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Fleet Admiral

It is a fair demand that the movie will be as prude as previous Trek, which implies no nudity. But I actually saw more women in Theiss-ware then in ENT.
Some people seem to be annoyed by men and women in their underwear going through decon or Blalock's naked backside, but have no problems with women in Theiss-ware and Kirk going after the ladies. Funny double standards.

Last edited by horatio : 12-04-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Ensign

Default Parental Guidance suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thypentacle View Post
My brother just asked me if this movie will be ok for him to take his three kids to... all under 16... but I wasn't sure how to answer him really at this point as there does seem to be a sex scene in it and it may be more violent than the typical Trek movie.

Anyone have any idea on what the rating will be? Any high ups reading this forum that maybe could jump in here?

Trek movies are usually very careful to avoid the 'R' rating... like Star Trek 6... pink Klingon blood instead of red to avoid 'R' rating.

Just curious.
No way this movie's gonna be rated R. Eliminates way too much of their demographic. No one wants your brother to be able to take his kids to see this movie more than Paramount and Bad Robot. All three of his kids. And all of their friends. Again and again. Trust me. I honestly can't think of a single film that cost this much -- $150 million? -- that got an R rating. Certainly there aren't very many. And this movie won't be one of them. I think we can be pretty sure they won't be tossing around the F-word. There may be some mild sexual situations, but no nudity. And keep in mind that trailers are rated G, so anything they show... And as long as they stay away from the gore, they can probably have as much violence as they want.

Last edited by Captain Tightpants : 12-04-2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: OCD.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Yeah that little scene with birds eye view of the woman's crotch was ill placed and impropper in Quantom of Solace. It ruined the movie.
Well, I would say the plot came up short and the film relied too heavily on the last installment and action setpieces, but anyway.....