The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Moms and dads continuing mission.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Ensign

Post Moms and dads continuing mission.

I am 51 years old and I have a son of 21 and a daughter of 16. They learn to love Star Trek trough my passion for the series. I share with both the thrill of the first teaser of the upcoming movie and the possibility of a new beginning for the Star Trek franchise. Nevertheless, the new generations are mostly indifferent to the Star Trek universe. Moms and dads, please share with us your experience as trekkies parents.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Ensign

My dad would occasionally mention Spock while I was growing up. And he would do the vulcan hand salute/greeting from time to time. But i never watched any of TOS shows or movies. I got into TNG on my own...with help of my best friend/neighbor...and eventually got into TOS movies as well.

Outside of fiction...my dad always made me wonder...and ask questions. We'd look up at huge, clear skies at night and he'd ask questions that made me wonder. "Do you think theres anything up there?" "How far does it all go?" Star Trek caters to those ideas.

I should thank my dad.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Ensign

Post I have my father to thank...

My old man (57 years old as of today 2/13) is a big fan of the original series, so much so that by the time I was probably 4 or 5 years old, he'd purchased the entire series on the original VHS release. We still have that set at his house. I, myself (27 years old), now have all the series' on DVD and I'm also a huge fan of the fan-based Trek series' online. I'm in the process of creating playable DVD versions of all of the fanfilms for myself and my father. I look forward to also sharing all of these Trek incarnations with my own son as he grows. He's only several weeks old right now, but I intend to teach him all about Star Trek and its messages of hope and equality. My mother (52 y/o) is also a fan, but not to the degree me father and I are. My wife (26 y/o) is not a fan, but she tollerates when I watch the different series, and knows that it means a lot to me.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Regent NCC-46516 View Post
My old man (57 years old as of today 2/13) is a big fan of the original series, so much so that by the time I was probably 4 or 5 years old, he'd purchased the entire series on the original VHS release. We still have that set at his house. I, myself (27 years old), now have all the series' on DVD and I'm also a huge fan of the fan-based Trek series' online. I'm in the process of creating playable DVD versions of all of the fanfilms for myself and my father. I look forward to also sharing all of these Trek incarnations with my own son as he grows. He's only several weeks old right now, but I intend to teach him all about Star Trek and its messages of hope and equality. My mother (52 y/o) is also a fan, but not to the degree me father and I are. My wife (26 y/o) is not a fan, but she tollerates when I watch the different series, and knows that it means a lot to me.
Congratulations, you are going to be a great dad. You will spend a lot of money buying Star Trek stuff for your kid and enjoy each minute playing with him and sharing your passion for the ST universe. Believe me it’s happened to me. Live long and prosper!