The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > TOS Prequel Fiction.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which format would you prefer for a TOS prequel that does not contradict canon?
Teleplay (television episode) 15 62.50%
Screenplay (feature length film) 9 37.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Captain

I have no idea what that means, William. How do my "ideas and attitudes" fit with Andorians?

Horatio: Good point. Give me some time to think of the right changes in that area. The thing I want to do with that is to create new dynamics between the characters' backgrounds so that we have interactions that are just as rich and engaging as the TOS crew's, without being identical to them. Remember that a lot of the major Star Trek crews had a certain formula going that had its genesis with the Kirk/Spock/McCoy triad -- while I do want to have a "magnificent seven", I don't want them to be formulaic. I want to give a new set of dynamics between the major characters.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Commander

I am a little curious about George MARCUS Kirk? Just going a different direction than the George Samuel Kirk Sr. and Jr thing?

Oh! As for Andorrian, I'd say it is a compliment as that founding race is usually considered highly tenacious and determined.

Last edited by Yagami Crewman : 12-02-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Captain

Ah, was that already set as Samuel? Still doing research, Samuel it is.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Fleet Admiral

I don't think that a diverse crew is a necessity, but some opposition rooted in friendship like with Spock and Bones worked well. I am sure you figure something out to "spice it up"
If I may ask, if you intend to do it only for fun, wouldn't something like short prose, a prolonged short story or shortened novel of about 100 pages not also work? I don't wanna interfere, just ask because for reading fun a script seems a little bit odd for me. On the other hand I guess one can more quickly establish a character via dialogue than via long descriptions in prose, the advantage of drama.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Captain

Well, to answer that -- I'm adept in prose or script, but the majority of my own spec work is in scripts. I'm a screenwriter first and foremost, and then a writer of pretty much anything and everything else. Script, to me, is just far more comfortable.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Those names sound American. Perhaps you wanna do a more diverse crew, after all only two of the seven from the TOS crew are American.
Hikaru was born in San Francisco (as stated in STIV), so there are three Americans.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 12-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Captain

Revised cast of characters:

Captain Robert April (English)
Executive Officer Commander Tom Rausch (German)
Science Officer Lt. Commander Christopher Pike (American)
Chief Engineer Lt. Commander Mariko Nakimura (Japanese)
Chief of Communications Lt. Antonio Villani (Italian)
Helmsman Lt. Monique DeSalle (French)
Navigator Lt. George S. Kirk (American)
Chief Medical Officer Commander Zachary Raintree (Cherokee)
Chief Nurse Lt. Sarah Poole (English)

ADDENDUM:

Working titles for the two prequel series. The April-era series: Star Trek: Dawn

The Romulan war prequel series: Star Trek: Slings And Arrows

Last edited by The Saint : 12-02-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Vice Admiral

All this sounds great. I can't wait to read whatver you come up with, and I don't care if it's called a screenplay or teleplay or whatever else. The longer the better, but I do understand that love of trek can only take you so far. I would like to see someone do Trek out of love, get noticed by the big-wigs, then get on the payroll for the NEXT movie!!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Ah, was that already set as Samuel? Still doing research, Samuel it is.
I'm puzzled... had you never heard this from TOS?

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
I'm puzzled... had you never heard this from TOS?
Not the middle initial, no.