The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Where are the Shuttle Bay Hanger Doors?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Fleet Admiral

Not to mention we have 20th century technology which can transform a clear 'glass' to an opaque surface which blocks viewing. I'm sure such simple technology will have survived to the 23rd so Kirk and crew could cut off visibility from exterior observers.

Though given how enemy ships are consistently shown in TREK to offer bridge-to-bridge visual communication, I have no earthly idea why Kirk should fear a Romulan looking at the bridge through binoculars. If the two combatant ships are THAT close, I'm guessing they have bigger issues to confront than privacy.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Re the bridges, yes the Bridge of a starship is a plug-in module that can indeed be ejected to serve as a lifeboat in an emergency. It's also placed there on the saucer and built as a separate module to enable faster upgrades of bridge systems and interfaces etc. You just unplug the old one, plug in the new and Hey Presto!! New shiny bridge!

Which is also why there is a wide variety of bridge designs between even the same classes of starship. There were even theorised to be mission specific modules - for pure science work etc that could be swapped over for certain types of mission.

....a-ha! A-HAAA!!!! It's so SIMPLE now! I understand completely! Finally!

NOW I know why, during TOS and the TMP-era, the weapons were never, ever fired from one single station! Sometimes it would be the helm station. In the next episode, it's the nav station. One of the movies showed a dedicated "weapons station", but the very next movie had the weapons back at the nav station. And that's why - Starfleet kept installing new bridges every week.

I can imagine Kirk, sitting in his quarters, when Spock contacts him. "Captain, the new bridge has been installed and is now operational." "Thank you, Spock - by the way, where's the "fire" button THIS time?" I swear, if Star Trek VII had been a TMP-era movie, rather than a TNG movie, the weapons controls would've been on Uhura's panel.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Federation Councillor

See, not so random after all!!
Old 12-01-2008, 05:15 AM
Lieutenant

Indeed. At least, it's much better than the explanation I came up with. I'd come to the conclusion that every station on the bridge had weapons controls. But of course, when Kirk gives the order to fire, not everybody can push their "fire" buttons at the same time, because that would destroy the enemy too quickly. I theorized that there was a rotating schedule of who got to be in charge of weapons. Remember back in the first grade, when there was a list of who got to be the line-leader on any given week? Something like that. "This week, the navigator has the weapons. Helm next week." Perhaps it was even something like a shift lottery, with people jockeying and competing for prime weapons control periods. Like, when somebody found out that next week the Enterprise would be surveying an uncharted region, they would naturally want to be in charge of the weapons during that time, because there was the potential for something cool to happen. On the other hand, when it came time for border patrol, nobody really wanted to work the weapons, because whoever was in charge of them on those missions would obviously be doing some mandatory overtime. That's why the low-ranking ensign always got stuck with the job during a Klingon incident.

What's more, the captain was unaware of who the scheduled weapons person was at any given time - that's why his weapons orders were directionally ambiguous. Think about it: whenever Kirk needed to give a command regarding any other department, he addressed that officer by name.

Helm: "Sulu, get us out of here!"

Engineering: "Scotty, I need more power!"

Communications: "Uhura, get me Starfleet!"

Science: "Spock?"

But weapons? Nobody in particular. He never said "Sulu, charge the phaser banks" or "Chekov, arm the torpedoes". He just said "Standby weapons!" Why? Because he didn't know who to direct the order to this week.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Federation Councillor

Yeah, I think it was TMP before we saw a dedicated weapons station, it was a little vague in TOS.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJG Iferal View Post

NOW I know why, during TOS and the TMP-era, the weapons were never, ever fired from one single station! Sometimes it would be the helm station. In the next episode, it's the nav station. One of the movies showed a dedicated "weapons station", but the very next movie had the weapons back at the nav station. And that's why - Starfleet kept installing new bridges every week.

I can imagine Kirk, sitting in his quarters, when Spock contacts him. "Captain, the new bridge has been installed and is now operational." "Thank you, Spock - by the way, where's the "fire" button THIS time?" I swear, if Star Trek VII had been a TMP-era movie, rather than a TNG movie, the weapons controls would've been on Uhura's panel.
In STNV's To Serve All My Days, Chekov is not only the navigator, but the weapons officer. We all know that James Cawley is a purist so it must have always been so.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Didn't Chekov press the red button to fire a torpedo in TMP?
Sounds like ... doable job requirements
Imagine the interview by Kirk

K: 'Mr Chekov, you see that red button on the console?'

C: 'Yes, Captain'

K: 'Can you press it on my command?'

C: 'Yes, Captain'

K: 'Congratulations, Mr Chekov, you are the new weapons officer!!'
Old 12-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJG Iferal View Post

In the Next Gen tech manual in combat the weapons control system splits the work load for the defensive systems to all the stations on the bridge. I would assume that the TOS the bridge would be arranged the same way.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Yeah, I think it was TMP before we saw a dedicated weapons station, it was a little vague in TOS.
And even then, it was hardly ever used. Remember Star Trek II? After Spock lowers the Reliant's shields, Sulu locks and fires the phasers from helm. Later on, Chekov mans the "weapons console" and does some shooting; however, in Star Trek III, Scotty does the shooting from the nav station (we know it's the same bridge, unless all the scorch marks and damage are like some kind of new decor).

I do like the little pop-out single-button "joystick" that Chekov uses to fire the torpedoes in ST II. It's hidden behind a little panel, so a torpedo can't be fired accidentally before it's needed - understandable, considering that it apparently takes like 5 minutes to load another one.