The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > "All About the Benjamins" - the debate has changed
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by danellis View Post
The complication is that better quality product generally makes more money
But it's a harder sell. Who does better business? Wal*Mart or your local artist's boutique?

Or for movies, which has the higher gross? Some Hollywood crap about exploding cars & boobies? Or an independant European film?
Old 11-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Fleet Admiral

While the Abrams-bashing continues, it might do well to point out that Paramount is making this film with hopes to make considerable profits on their investment... like every other Hollywood studio film made. Abrams was hired to direct the project.

What happens when TREK doesn't make money? TOS gets canceled. NEMESIS nearly kills the feature franchise.

The argument that this film is only being created to make dirty, nasty money is not only a false dilemma, it's a basic misunderstanding of how and why people make films.

Also, it's the lucky people who DO make money doing the work they love... because they can then afford to keep doing the work they love.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Seriously. All the other directors I know of make movies for the love of the art form, not for money. Hitchcock, Scorsese, Jackson, Lee, none of them took a penny for their work! Bet you didn't know that.

Four fish in a sea of millions. Not getting paid for doing a job, is going the extra mile and doing something no one expects. And, yes, highly admirable. But expecting someone to do this is stupid. Do job = get paycheck. It's the simplest of equations.

It's a plus to have a job you actually care about and enjoy doing. I don't compare someone whose in a dead end job they want to get out of, but they stay for the money, the same as someone whose in a job they enjoy and don't intend to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Why can't that money-grubbing Abrams do exactly what a few people want him to do, and do it with the intent of not making money?
He's a money grubber for getting hired and getting paid to do something. I'm a money grubber for accepting a paycheck for doing my job, too. I would have to assume that you're above all of us greedy monsters, you only do volunteer work do you?

Also, on a side note, it would do to know what kind of movie this is. This is not your independant, nonmainstream art film. It's a big blockbuster scifi movie. The same thing the other Star Trek films were. Plain and simple. As someone else said, Paramount hired Abrams to do this. By all accounts he seems to be making the most of it, even if he is causing a rift in the fiction world with canon revisions. He's doing Star Trek the way he sees it.

Since you want to educate me about such honorable directors who did not accept money for making their masterpieces, educate me some more. How about Robert Wise, Nicholas Meyer, Leonard Nimoy, William Shatner, David Carson, Jonathan Frakes, and Stuart Baird? Did they "not take a penny for their work"?
Old 11-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I'd love to see Dawson's Creek (which I enjoyed) style angst and character drama mixed with a fantasy setting in Star Trek.

It's worked with Buffy, Angel, and Smallville (all of which I loved).
Old 11-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think the question is whether people will do more than necessary, devote more time and energy of theirs into this movie, like let's say Nimoy who introduces stuff like the Vulcan salute or Fred Phillips who bought the pair of ears for Nimoy himself.
Such efforts are great and admirable, but not necessary to do a great movie.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH The KING View Post
I'd love to see Dawson's Creek (which I enjoyed) style angst and character drama mixed with a fantasy setting in Star Trek.

Check out http://www.startrekreborn.net/
Old 11-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
Four fish in a sea of millions. Not getting paid for doing a job, is going the extra mile and doing something no one expects. And, yes, highly admirable. But expecting someone to do this is stupid. Do job = get paycheck. It's the simplest of equations.

It's a plus to have a job you actually care about and enjoy doing. I don't compare someone whose in a dead end job they want to get out of, but they stay for the money, the same as someone whose in a job they enjoy and don't intend to leave.

He's a money grubber for getting hired and getting paid to do something. I'm a money grubber for accepting a paycheck for doing my job, too. I would have to assume that you're above all of us greedy monsters, you only do volunteer work do you?

Also, on a side note, it would do to know what kind of movie this is. This is not your independant, nonmainstream art film. It's a big blockbuster scifi movie. The same thing the other Star Trek films were. Plain and simple. As someone else said, Paramount hired Abrams to do this. By all accounts he seems to be making the most of it, even if he is causing a rift in the fiction world with canon revisions. He's doing Star Trek the way he sees it.

Since you want to educate me about such honorable directors who did not accept money for making their masterpieces, educate me some more. How about Robert Wise, Nicholas Meyer, Leonard Nimoy, William Shatner, David Carson, Jonathan Frakes, and Stuart Baird? Did they "not take a penny for their work"?
Just to clarify: all those quotes of mine should be in the SARCASTIC font. All 4 of those directors got paid, and paid well. I was trying to make a point that ALL DIRECTORS get paid, just like all actors.

Sarcasm! That's where I was going with that. You can't seriously think I thought Hitchcock never cashed a paycheck, right?????
Old 11-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Lieutenant

Oh yes, all four definately cashed in...
the philisophical question is....Did they deserve it?
Old 11-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH The KING View Post

Nah...I'd like to see more of a Firefly type dynamic in a Star Trek crew.

But we have to remember guys...this isn't a ragtag group of people...these are supposed to be high trained military personell. Duty is the first thing on their minds. Supposed to be anyway.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

As most actors, producers, writers etc. in this movie are young, they have strong incentives to work well in order to get further well-paid jobs. Simpel as that.
The 'they are all in for the money' point seems to imply the fear that Trek gets 'sold out', doing a large-scale blockbuster which betrays what Trek is about to reach the largest audience. But as folks like Orci and Lindelof are fans, I can't understand this fear. People who never did Trek and fans in the production team are a promising mixture, the best of both worlds. Remember whan Nick Meyer did and how ENT changed once old fans like Sussmann or the Reeves-Stevenses came aboard?