The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Where are the Shuttle Bay Hanger Doors?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
I also see a windshield on the bridge.

Hmm...that's interesting.

I guess that means the bridges on these ships are oriented forward:forward relative to the ship itself. Stop me if I'm wrong, but a LONG, long long long time ago, I think I remember seeing like a bridge "floor plan" in some "Geek's Guide to Things That Aren't Real", which showed that on the TOS Enterprise, the bridge turbolift (which looks offset, not directly behind the captain's chair) is actually amidships; that means the bridge itself is actually offset about 40 degrees to port, so that when you're in the captain's chair and looking at the viewscreen, you're not facing straight ahead, but you're actually facing off to the left somewhere. Please tell me if my imagination invented this.

If it did not, and the bridge is genuinely oriented that way, is there any really good reason why? It doesn't seem to make any sense. I mean I suppose it doesn't matter, because it's not a window, but a viewscreen - the bridge could be facing backwards and still work fine. But it just seems very odd from a construction standpoint that the bridge would not simply for the sake of propriety be facing forward. I cannot think of a single reason why functionality or practicality would require rotating the bridge 40 degrees from forward.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Captain

Bad enough the thing is right at the top of the ship... now enemies can look right at the command crew with just a good pair of Bushnells.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJG Iferal View Post
I cannot think of a single reason why functionality or practicality would require rotating the bridge 40 degrees from forward.
It's so that if an enemy shoots the bridge dead on hoping to punch through the superstructure and hit the Captain, the shot will be blocked by the mildly obnoxious Russian navigator.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJG Iferal View Post
Hmm...that's interesting.

I guess that means the bridges on these ships are oriented forward:forward relative to the ship itself. Stop me if I'm wrong, but a LONG, long long long time ago, I think I remember seeing like a bridge "floor plan" in some "Geek's Guide to Things That Aren't Real", which showed that on the TOS Enterprise, the bridge turbolift (which looks offset, not directly behind the captain's chair) is actually amidships; that means the bridge itself is actually offset about 40 degrees to port, so that when you're in the captain's chair and looking at the viewscreen, you're not facing straight ahead, but you're actually facing off to the left somewhere. Please tell me if my imagination invented this.

If it did not, and the bridge is genuinely oriented that way, is there any really good reason why? It doesn't seem to make any sense. I mean I suppose it doesn't matter, because it's not a window, but a viewscreen - the bridge could be facing backwards and still work fine. But it just seems very odd from a construction standpoint that the bridge would not simply for the sake of propriety be facing forward. I cannot think of a single reason why functionality or practicality would require rotating the bridge 40 degrees from forward.
It was the production's explanation as to why the interior shots of the turbolift were offcenter and the exterior shots showed the turbolift to be directly behind the bridge...so someone figured that the bidge was not facing directly ahead to explain this.But you're right it doesn't make sense from a contruction standpoint....As for camera angles and dramatic purposes, it was to be able to look past the captian's shoulder to see who was coming out of the lift, instead of someone entering the bridge directly behind him....and that's all I got to say about that.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Bad enough the thing is right at the top of the ship... now enemies can look right at the command crew with just a good pair of Bushnells.
The bridge has obviously been at the top of the saucer section since the classic zoom-ins through the roof or when the Reliant takes bridge-messing-up-ing phaser fire in Wrath of Khan.

What's the rational 'canon' explanation for putting the command crew at one of the most exposed points of the ship?

Old 11-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukalaka View Post
The bridge has obviously been at the top of the saucer section since the classic zoom-ins through the roof or when the Reliant takes bridge-messing-up-ing phaser fire in Wrath of Khan.

What's the rational 'canon' explanation for putting the command crew at one of the most exposed points of the ship?
Dunno. We do know the bridge on the Enterprise was modular -- maybe in the event of an extreme situation it was also intended to serve as a self-sufficient (for short periods) lifeboat. We also know that on at least some ships, the saucer itself could be separated from the rest of the ship. I'm betting that in events like the Enterprise-D's saucer crash in Generations, the Bridge would be one of the safest places to be.

What's the rationale for having a relatively fragile (compared to the surrounding superstructure) windshield in the front of the thing?! If having the command center in such an exposed location is bad -- and it sure ain't good -- isn't giving potentially hostile ships the opportunity to literally look your command crew in the eyes A Whole Lot Worse? O.o
Old 11-30-2008, 02:03 AM
Federation Councillor

I don't think that point of light is the shuttlebay, if you look at the rear of the Kelvin in one of the trailer shots (which, unfortunately I don't know how to copy and paste in here) there is what appears to be the shuttle bay at the back of the ship.

Re the bridges, yes the Bridge of a starship is a plug-in module that can indeed be ejected to serve as a lifeboat in an emergency. It's also placed there on the saucer and built as a separate module to enable faster upgrades of bridge systems and interfaces etc. You just unplug the old one, plug in the new and Hey Presto!! New shiny bridge!

Which is also why there is a wide variety of bridge designs between even the same classes of starship. There were even theorised to be mission specific modules - for pure science work etc that could be swapped over for certain types of mission.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:35 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukalaka View Post
If the bridge was snug in the middle of the ship then all the lesser crew members near the hull would get jealous during a fire fight and try and storm the command crew. Much better to reassure the crew that the ones making the life or death decisions are the ones most likely to have their body parts orbiting the nearest planetoid first. The Kelvin's windscreen backs this theory up too.

And Navel vessels seem to like having their C&Cs up high and exposed too.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Fleet Admiral

Shields. You've heard them mentioned before, right? TOS had tilt down shots into a transparent dome above the bridge -- yet no one complains about that (probably because Abrams didn't direct the episode).

Actual TREK canon has shown that when a weapon penetrates shields, the ship interior and crew are damaged or injured whether the weapon penetrates the hull or any other exterior surface.

Given the apparent properties of transparent aluminum and such inventions, my very first guess would be that a clear 'windshield' on the bridge would be made to specs just as sturdy as hull plating, and thus would be no more nor less vulnerable to attack than a solid section next to it.

Can't we assume this isn't a fragile plate glass window by the 23rd century?

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!