The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > It's official: Cannon Schmannon?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
Things change Saint. Deal with it or move on already.

Frankly people are getting tired of your negative attitude about everything.
I, for one, totally agree with Saint. And I consider him to be a true fan of Star Trek who wants to see the franchise grow but not at the expense of the past 40 years of Trek history. There would have been many, many ways to do this movie in such a way that it would have slotted in neatly with the established Trek timeline and continuity. But TPTB decided to go their own way and disregard all that has gone before and start a new Trek from scratch. Sure, the names are the same, but that's about it. I have decided to resign myself to the conclusion that this new movie is in an alternate timeline/universe created by Nero's interference and that the Star Trek that I grew up with is alive and well. So there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
That's because no matter what the thread is about you have to chime in and remind us how much you HATE this new film and NO ONE who likes Trek should like this film and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.

We get it. You don't like it. So why keep posting about it? Just don't read the threads that aren't titled "Why I Hate This Movie" and then you won't have to stay angry all the time.
Saint isn't angry all the time. He's just irritated that the Star Trek that we have been watching and enjoying for 20, 30, 40+ years is being erased as if it never existed in favor of this new version of the old Star Trek. It's like the Genesis device was dropped on the collection ot TOS shows and movies. It has destroyed the Trek we love in favor of its new matrix.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Lieutenant

The "Trek that you grew up with" is fine. It's on video/DVD. They can't get to it. It's fine; trust me.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Lieutenant

It's not that they are going to hunt down and burn every copy of TOS on video/DVD. Heck George Lucas can't even do that with his Star Wars Holiday special, and he's physically trying.

The issue is...fine, a new generation gets a new Star Trek for themselves. What do we get? Suddenly our money isn't as good as somebody elses money? We have to content ourselves with nothing but remastered edition after remastered edition. Furthermore, and on a sillier note, at what point do we start "losing" trivia contests because our answers are now "incorrect" because we gave an answer from TOS and not NuTOS.

I realize there's a perception that people who deeply love TOS are all approaching retirement age, but I certainly ain't. I have a good 40 to 50 years at least of money to throw at Star Trek. What do I get? A pat on the back, a sad smile and a toss into a padded room?
Old 11-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Vice Admiral

But it's only a movie! A movie! Based on a TV show! That means it's all pretend. Why on earth should that make anyone more than mildly annoyed?

If the main angst in your life is whether or not a character in the land of makebelieve is doing what you want him/her to do, you're leading a pretty good life.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Lieutenant

Again, asking people who have treated Star Trek as something more than just a bunch of TV shows and Movies for the past 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 42 years to suddenly stop and just treat it as any other movie they might have seen is asking the leopard to change its spots.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Saint, Thanks for the info. What about a fan fiction Trek story? We all know how you feel and what your stance's are regarding Trek, but we haven't seen an example of how you would have written, or would write, a Trek story. I actually think you could write an awesome Trek story. Maybe you could do a TOS short story?
I'd love to. If and when a time comes that I have the time for more than just a half dozen posts at a time on a bulletin board to devote to writing about Star Trek purely for leisure, you have my word I will.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Midshipman

Hmmmm... glad there seems to be peace in the valley again.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
I'd love to. If and when a time comes that I have the time for more than just a half dozen posts at a time on a bulletin board to devote to writing about Star Trek purely for leisure, you have my word I will.
Sounds good. I look forward to it.