The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > If we could go back in time and re-do Voyager....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

Sure, the setup of the show would have been fine for some dark Trek, but after some dark Trek in DS9 and before a dark season in ENT, it was nice to have something brighter and warmer and something more episodical. The essential questions have been discussed in Year of Hell and Equinox, it does not become more interesting when you prolong them and stretch them to season length.
Sure, the Borg have been ruined as villain and more important, the interesting themes about inidividualtiy and collectivism prominent in the few TNG Borg episodes were not present. First Contact should have been the last appearance of the Borg.
It also teaches us something concerning fanfic about the Guardian of Forever or the Doomsday Machine(s). Some things are better left a mystery because they otherwise lose their appeal.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:28 AM
Commander

Having 7of9 as a crewman more or less guarenteed at least a Borg episode per season as part of her character development. I think that would have been fine and I think having FC as the Borgs last appearance would have denied Voyager some good stories. But yeah leaving a bit of mystery in there could have let them keep their edge, I like the Doomsday Machine analogy, up till after Best of Both Worlds I felt the Borg and the doomsday were quite similar in that respect.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think destroying the doctor at some point would have been a great improvement.
Voyager needed a character killed off.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Ensign

Here is how I would have redo the series;

First the obvious;
Lasting damage
Wear and tear
The ship in the series premire and the series finally would not look exactly the same.
For at least the beginning the Maquie would have remaind in their "uniforms".
Kill off a couple of characters during the series run
Have Seven look more Borg, much more Borg.

Now here is my basic season layout;

Season 1-2
The main enemy would be the Kazon, more cases of friction between the crews and their veiws on how things should be done. Arguments between Janeway and Chakotay, in private. At the end of season 2 Voyager would be captured by the Kazon, "Basics".

Season 3
The crew remains on the planet the Kazon dumbed them on for several epsiodes, eventualy to be rescued by some allies they had made during the first 2 season. They would then spend the rest of the season fighting to get Voyager back, leading to a big battle in the season 3 finaly. Also near the end the Videins would be introduced. Do to these ordeals they would truly have become one crew.

Season 4
The main enemy for season 4 would be the Videins, by the end of the season the crew would have cured the Phase and the Videins would be rebuilding their civilization. Mid way through the Hirogen would be introduced, the season would end with the Hirogen attacking and capturing Voyager.

Season 5
Season begins with "The Killing Game", leaving Voyager in Major need of repair. Small confrontations with the Borg, like one maybe two. Introduction of the Vadwaar at mid season point, season end with the Vadwaar attempting to ally with Voyager agianst a common enemy, maybe the Borg.

Season 6
Vadwaar betray Voyager, but Voyager is barely able to escape. Return of the Hirogen, "Flesh and Blood." Vadwaar ventualy launch a full scale attack on Voyager, while they are able to defeat the Vadwaar the season end with Voyager adrift in space.

Season 7
First few episodes would deal with getting Voyager back up and running, a new ally would be meet during this. Brief contact made with Starfleet, only able to let them know that Voyager is in the delta quadrent. They locate the chartacers mate, she blames them for his death and attempts to destory them. The series end with them finaly convincing her that they did not kill him and her sending Voyager home.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:31 AM
Ensign

I think Voyager is good as it could become.
So I don't want to change the plot.
Maybe some more special effects and scenes with the Aeroshuttle!!

To Legate:
Your story sound far to much like BSG. I like this show too but Star Trek should stay Star Trek!!
Old 01-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign506 View Post
To Legate:
Your story sound far to much like BSG. I like this show too but Star Trek should stay Star Trek!!
Well keep in mind that the outline I posted was just archs that would have come through the seasons, there would have been plenty of the exploration stories.

Also I am not sure how this sounds like BSG, though that might just be beucase I came up with it before I saw BSG.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:58 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I think destroying the doctor at some point would have been a great improvement.
Voyager needed a character killed off.
Robert Picardo was one of the only regular characters to consistently deliver a strong performance from episode to episode.

I think, really, that the series just needed better writing. I re-watched a few of the real doozies on Youtube (like the one where Tom 'evolves' into a lizard) and you just realize how horrible some of these ideas were.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:09 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukalaka View Post
I think, really, that the series just needed better writing. I re-watched a few of the real doozies on Youtube (like the one where Tom 'evolves' into a lizard) and you just realize how horrible some of these ideas were.
Yeah I agree... I even tried to help out a bit but they denied one of my submitted scripts I sent in and the reason they stated was, "It's too unbelievable." I mean WTF!!! Least it wasn't a lizard boy... though to be fair it was way back in season one/two when I sent that in... maybe if I had waited a few years they woulda loved it to death... lol

All in all however, I still enjoy the series... and the Doc is a great character... but Janeway's voice still makes me want to put in ear plugs...
Old 01-12-2009, 05:33 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukalaka View Post
Robert Picardo was one of the only regular characters to consistently deliver a strong performance from episode to episode.

Come on, Treshold was so bad it was nearly good again. Warp 10, the big mystery and what happens ... you turn into lizards. High expectations, large disappointment, Kinda like in TFF.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Come on, Treshold was so bad it was nearly good again. Warp 10, the big mystery and what happens ... you turn into lizards. High expectations, large disappointment, Kinda like in TFF.
I also love how about a third of the episode is the interesting Warp 10 plotline, and then they completely disregard that and switch to lizards for the other two thirds.

I mean, there's the crew of the D getting biologically ****faced and Tasha looking like a cheap call girl servicing Mr. Data......and then there's Tom Paris coughing up a prosthetic tongue.