The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > 2 Reasons why Trekkers & Trekkies need to Relax
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Midshipman

Default Relaxed Trek Fan

I honestly don't know if I'm a Trekker or a Trekkie, but I do have a starship bridge in my attic as well as a bar named "The Escape Pod".

I am not freaked out or upset by any canon changes JJ is making. General (non-trek) audiences will not even notice the changes in the uniforms or changes in the Enterprise. The bridge & other interiors is a different story.

All I'm saying is I'm relaxed. JJ can't be expected to track down every blogger & reporter every that uses the word 'reboot' and tell them to retract it!

I'll be there on opening day dressed as an Andorian in a Current(DS9/TNG-Movie)Starfleet uniform.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
I wasn't trying to be insulting, just irreverant and witty. That's how I get my point across, in the most crass and smartassed way.

In any case Saint yes I do agree that this is a bastardized version of Trek. Anyone can agree with that. This isn't TOS. This isn't even TNG. They're crossing "The Fast and the Furious" which is a retard-fest and "Star Trek"...and they've made something that dumbasses can digest.

What I take offense to is your attitude. "You don't care about canon so you're not a true trek fan." I find it off putting and divisive.

That being said...I don't personally mean to offend you. I totally agree that they went to J.J. Abrams and said, "We need to make this franchise more user friendly...you make TV shows that people with no brains watch and get into....help us do that with Star Trek."

Believe me I feel your pain. I just don't agree with the execution of your discourse.
In mild defense of JJ, I watched the first few seasons of Lost and found that, while thinking was not necessary to enjoy it on a surface level, attempting to solve the mystery of the island allong with the characters rather than waiting for it to be delivered on a platter, made the show much more enjoyable. So, I think your a bit overzelous in stating that JJ makes shows that people with no brains watch and get into.

-Free Enterprise
Old 11-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
My 2 reasons why people need to relax?

1. It is a movie.
2. That means it isn't real.
3. goto 1

Old 11-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
At the same time that there's nothing wrong with doing it for the money -- that's why any movie is made -- they're doing it, as far as I can tell, mostly if not only for the money. That's not only bad for the story, for the "vision" if you like... it's actually bad for their bottom line, too. Nemesis, for example, was made mostly if not only for the money. Problem was, so was Insurrection, and by the time Nemesis rolled around enough people had figured that out that they tossed Paramount the finger.

And kindly do not exaggerate my position on continuity. It has nothing to do with treating Star Trek like a damn religion, it has everything to do with a little something called artistic integrity. If all they're in the storytelling business for is a buck, then they should be putting girls on street corners, not films in theaters.
This is unbased bullcrap theory that borders on conspiracy theory. Everyone involved in this project, including Abrams has expressed how much they want to make this movie. Abrams has said over and over in interviews that he wants to preserve the Rodenberry vision. Whether or not you agree that he's succeeding in doing that is opinion.

It's quite clear that the people involved in this project do like Star Trek. J. J. said he's "more of a Star Wars fan". That =/= "I hate Star Trek and just want to do this for a quickbuck".

None of Abrams past projects shows any evidence that "he's just doing it for the money". Thus far he's proved that he's pretty much a scifi geek - like us - and also sees the importance of a dramatic story that drives the project.

No, I'm not tossing Abrams' salad. In fact I have a major criticism about his style of drama. But he's got a signature, a style. You can spot an Abrams movie or show a mile away.

Why is it that "change canon" = "just doing it for the money". This is simply Star Trek in Abrams' eye. Yes, he's clearly trying to appeal to a wider demographic. But with viral websites, a prequel comic book to the movie, and directing the movie itself, it's quite clear that he and a lot of people are putting a lot into this.

Will he fail? Maybe. Is it "because he was doing it for the money"? Evidence shows no. If he fails, it may actually mean "hey, he tried something and failed at it." (Mission Impossible III for instance, in my opinion anyway).
Old 11-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Vice Admiral

Saint..i think you re just worried a bit too much for the movie,you shouldnt
if i may give u a friendly advice....wait for the outcome , i am sure it will finaly please u , like the rest of us
Old 11-29-2008, 05:35 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
There is a difference between change and demolition, TNG did not seek to invalidate TOS, thats why it was set a century ahead of the original series so there would be no conflicts with anything new they chose to introduce...such as a new ship design for example, so I don't think this is a conflict quite like that. This is a conflict between those who would prefer that Star Trek break from its established story lines, and those who would prefer that it remain true to them. I think the problem for a lot of people is that this does not seem to be a story set within what we now know as The Star Trek Univere, prequilic in nature or not. This seems to be a story setting up an entirely NEW universe that is now supposed to be the star trek universe and for those of us who grew up with the old one for 20, 30, 40+ years that's a hard and sometimes bitter pill to swallow especially since unlike something like Battle Star, the current Star Trek Universe has been growing and expanding for those 40+ years.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digginonrand View Post
1. Stress can cause ulcers.
2. Stree can cause diahrea, which is painful and annoying.
3. Star Trek is fiction--GET OVER THE CHANGES PURISTS.
4. Worrying about a Star Trek movie when there is terrorism, starvation, economic problems and other more important things going on in the world is just ignorant.

There you go. I give you 4 reasons.
If it's so ignorant, why are you on this board???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
Really that's the bottom line. Star Trek is fiction. Canon is relative. Consistency Schmonsistency. This sort anal retantiveness did not stop Peter Jackson (LotR) why should it stop Abrams. We need a story that preserves Rodenberry's vision and main characters we've come to love and theme of discovering frontiers in space.

Abrams did not throw canon out the window. Even details. Is Kirk still from Iowa? Does Spock have a human mom?

We're squabbling over Kirk's driving and age.

Really it's creepy how some of you treat Star Trek canon like a history textbook. It seems like to many of you, Kirk's age during ship construction is more important than who the first president of the United States of America is! It's disturbing really!
Star Trek's not....real???? Say it ain't so!! All this time I've been living a liiiiie! I've watched all the "Historical Documentaries" about the illustrious Captain Kirk and his valliant crew only to find out now that the whole thing was a sham!?!?!?! Somebody just k ill me now and put me out of my misery. My whole world has been turned upside down.

But I digress. Abrahms has thrown canon out the window and started anew from scratch with only the names and uniform colors remaining constant. Yes, Kirk is from Iowa. But the Enterprise was NOT built there. And Star Trek canon IS like a history textbook. It is the history of the Star Trek universe and should be adhered to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
"Resistance is NOT futile!" Hugh

Or to paraphrase Charleton Heston. "You'll have to pull TOS from my cold dead hands."
Damn Right!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
You know your right, there is no point arguing about this, I'm not going to change your view, and only seeing the movie and judging for myself will dispel whatever trepidations I and other (canonites, canonistas, whatever it is you chose to call us) may have. I'm tired of arguing. All the great stories of the world maintain internal plot and character consistency, and that's all I care about. Although I wish to point out that LOTR is a bad example, as the core storyline of LOTR is housed in JRR tolkeins books the filmic reinterpretation by Peter Jackson does not really overwrite the internal plot and character consistency of Tolkien's books. However since Trek's main storyline is contained within films and television seri, any aditional material shot and reinterpretation thereof has a direct plot revising impact on whatever came before it.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukalaka View Post
Dude.....we CAN'T RELAX THIS IS STAR TREK.

Star Trek is serious business.

Seriously.

Second!!

(If the bridge doesn't have at least some candy-based button controls I am going to die.....where's the respect for Candy Cannon, Abrams you phuck?)

Do you think any of these actors or writers care if someone changes something? NO they want MONEY that's IT.

Because....Star Trek....ain't real brother.[/quote]

Not...REEEAAALLL!?!?! Oh. Sorry. Already been through that.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgestl View Post
I honestly don't know if I'm a Trekker or a Trekkie, but I do have a starship bridge in my attic as well as a bar named "The Escape Pod".

I'll be there on opening day dressed as an Andorian in a Current(DS9/TNG-Movie)Starfleet uniform.
That's awesome! You're a Trekkie, dude. I've always wanted my own TOS Enterprise bridge but I don't have the time or money to build one. And if I go see the movie, I'll be dressed in my TOS command gold uniform - dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
3. goto 1
Whatever. We know it's a frakking movie. Get a grip.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D
3. goto 1
Whatever. We know it's a frakking movie. Get a grip.
Calm yourself, I was making a silly computer science joke. I knew it'd be lost on anyone who doesn't know BASIC, but I didn't expect anyone to flip out over it

Old 11-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Fleet Admiral

Martok's Chill Pill bar is now open for business.

First round's on me.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Martok's Chill Pill bar is now open for business.

First round's on me.

Make mine a double!!