The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I think it's just a bad picture
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
But after awhile I appreciated that Spock...Spock was the other key to the movie. A sublte under current. The needs of the many...outweighing the needs of the few.
The Spock plot is Khan is about as subtle as being whacked in the forehead with a big ol' floppy

Old 11-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
There's a flaw in your logic, and that is assuming that you can argue the point logically. It has occurred to me that when it comes to Trek there is so much emotion involved that rational thinking, logic, goes right down the crapper. Kinda ironic, don't you think?
And some fans are worried Spock is showing too much emotion in the trailer?

Now that's some irony.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Actually, it's indicative of the theme and pacing of the film.
A trailer's pacing and conjunction of otherwise unrelated shots is an entirely different product from a 2-hour feature film. While the parts exist in the whole, they serve two entirely separate functions. More importantly, a trailer fails to include a vast amount of information which exists completely in the feature -- a crucial distinction which is quite deliberate.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukalaka View Post
The Spock plot is Khan is about as subtle as being whacked in the forehead with a big ol' floppy
I don't understand your sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post
Why do so many people automatically associate sleek with better? In aircraft design there are plenty of aircraft that "looked" sleek and turned out during testing to be lemons.
Because they're not designers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
i dont know, cause its candy for the eye i guess
See...

Old 11-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Why do so many people automatically associate sleek with better? In aircraft design there are plenty of aircraft that "looked" sleek and turned out during testing to be lemons.
Ever since the mid-80s or so, it has been assumed that in the future, everything will be curvy, stylized, and stretched where before it was flat, straight, and simple. That's just what the future is assumed to look like. Car manufacturers, in particular, seem determined to make this reality; each year sees new cars that contain fewer and fewer abrupt changes in a vehicle's general shape, so that logically by 2020 or so we'll be driving perfectly ovoid cars, unless the aesthetic changes.

In fact, a very good example of this is the way the Next Generation Enterprise looked, in contrast to the old Enterprise. The "future is curvy" rule was not in effect in the sixties - a time when people imagined robots with tin-can-shaped eyes, big and obvious antennae, and large boxes of controls on their chests. The vision of the future at that time was that there would be more technology, but not that said technology would be more stylish than current designs; therefore, you've got a starship with a Main Engineering section that looks for all the world like a drawbridge control room. But the future-is-curvy rule WAS in effect when TNG was created, so the Enterprise was made all curvy and stretched so the audience could more readily accept that this was supposed to be "the future".
Old 11-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Fleet Admiral

That's true too. Sort of a backward trend now with the retro designs.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Lieutenant

And the funny thing is...the future is going to look like what is practical for it to look like. Some things will change, true, but I'm pretty sure a hammer will still look like a hammer, and a shovel will still look like a shovel.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I see all your points and I agree with most of them.

The feeling I get from this trailer is, "Look at me I'm Star Trek I'm hip and cool now I'm just like 'The Fast and the Furious'.."

Which may or may not be the reality of it.

As far as the ship...I will reserve judgement until I see the whole film.

But, from the shot I'm looking at here...it looks like crap. TMP Enterprise is the best looking one imo. She's the true grey lady.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
And the funny thing is...the future is going to look like what is practical for it to look like. Some things will change, true, but I'm pretty sure a hammer will still look like a hammer, and a shovel will still look like a shovel.
Logic does prevail then.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Lieutenant

Default Just because I like to stir the pot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
look here

Now between the three of em, I gotta say. The Original is fine and upstanding, the refit (my fave) is spectacular, and the New one...well, from the picture it does in fact look like nothing to write home about.

The engine Pylons look droopy, the saucer section out of place. Yet, at the same time when I see it zooming around in the trailer, It takes on a totally new life and somehow becomes much more identifiable as a constitution class starship. It's like the motion actually breathes a bit of sparkle and life into the otherwise, saggy model, leading me to believe that we should all take a deep breath, and wait to judge the ship when we can see it, to be blunt, on a really big screen, and for more than a few frames at a time.
That's not the refit E, it''s the 1701 A sometime after STIII.