The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Industrial Light and Magic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2008, 04:03 AM
Commander

I guess it really shows what a difference a few years can make. Hopefully now with a blockbusters budget and 6 years since Nemisis we should be getting effects in XI that look like they're going to pop out the screen and hit us in the head. And if the trailers anything to go by that's exactly what we're going to get. (Fingers crossed with the story and characters been as good)
Old 11-28-2008, 04:28 AM
Lieutenant

Hurrah to L&M!
Old 11-28-2008, 04:55 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles3347 View Post
First Contact was the last star trek movie that used a physical model.
In general, you would be right. But technically, the last physical model was used in "Nemesis." The crash sequence close-up with the E ramming the Scimatar was done with an actual model.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJTrek View Post
Just to be weird, I really did like the Briar Patch effects in Insurrection, and I thought the battle was decent. If you look at First Contact, the effects aren't really all that spectacular, and the landing of the Vulcan vessel is really pathetic if you look at the background and the rendering. Honestly, I don't think that fx are what led to the downfall of Star Trek. Look at Nemesis - it had the best Trek fx to date (maybe minus TMP) and still flopped.
I don't think the change in effects houses contributed to the lower box office either, just that personnally they didn't look as good as FC. The Vulcan ship and the engine coolant at the end of FC are indeed weak spots, but the Borg battle in FC is, to me, much more realistic looking than the battle in Insurrection.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
I guess it really shows what a difference a few years can make. Hopefully now with a blockbusters budget and 6 years since Nemisis we should be getting effects in XI that look like they're going to pop out the screen and hit us in the head. And if the trailers anything to go by that's exactly what we're going to get. (Fingers crossed with the story and characters been as good)
Heck, the shipyard teaser had better effects than some whole movies, let alone the theatrical one just released.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:59 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

ST5 effects did suck badly, in fact they looked a lot the effects done for TOS, major step backwards. Its just great to have ILM back for this film. I think there was 2 other big factors as to why Nemesis failed, the story was weak and the score didnt do it for me, it was a bit lackluster all the way thru, i love Goldsmiths scores usually but this one did not do it for me, Insurrection was a huge score so was FC, so i was a bit let down by the whole somberness of it, ok going off topic now lol. But all of the effects i have seen so far for this film look awsome.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:09 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles3347 View Post
First Contact was the last star trek movie that used a physical model.
To my knowledge Insurrection did use a physical model...but in combinatioin with the CGI.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:15 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile CGI vs ILM model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
To my knowledge Insurrection did use a physical model...but in combinatioin with the CGI.
The space and space Battle used CGI that is what I read in Star Trek the magazine when they were disusing the production of Insurrection. They never used that model built by ILM after First Contact again.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Lieutenant

The last films have been crap due to the badly thought out plots and badly executed scripts.

A forced relocation? Floating Data? A 1960s thrift store costume-wearing Picard clone with a telepathic Number One adept at mind rapage?

Are you fscking kidding me?

Old 11-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Midshipman

I've always thought FC's images were great. ILM does great work, glad they're doing the ST movie.