The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Monchezke officer
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-29-2008, 07:17 AM
lordisaiah's Avatar
lordisaiah lordisaiah is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 468
Default

Saint is referring to the fact that they are coming up with new aliens that were not present or mentioned by any other series, particularly TOS.

The Denobulans were never mentioned on Star Trek prior to Enterprise, and suddenly they are founding members of the Federation...so apparently, they went upstairs never to be heard from again.

The big problem is how many of the 100 or so worlds in the Federation at the time of Kirk (if there were even that many) are inhabited by creatures virtually identical to humans. There could have been Betazoids on Kirk's Enterprise, and we'd never known it, because it never came up. Same goes for Trill, we know Dax was on Earth during the 23rd Century, but we never saw anyone with that kind of makeup. (Of course, apparently violating her own statement, we see Dax hiding her spots, which suggests that while humans may have known about the Trill, they were not Federation members and certainly not part of Starfleet. Then again, Curzon was a Federation ambassador, so maybe no spots was simply a choice the Trill went by at the time.) And what of the dozens of aliens mentioned during TOS that simply "go upstairs" themselves.
__________________
I have seen the darkness in my soul and shine brighter for it.

Last edited by lordisaiah : 11-29-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-29-2008, 07:47 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Ah so limiting one to the few aliens in TOS would be the best choice for any prequel? Just because we did not see them on screen does not imply that the Federation is limited to Andorians, Vulcans, Tellarites and hoo-moons
Besides, important is above all that a character is interesting, which was the case for Phlox IMO. He had the alien view upon mankind which yielded many interesting and funny insights.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-29-2008, 08:05 AM
lordisaiah's Avatar
lordisaiah lordisaiah is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 468
Default

Unfortunately, we are now in an age old gamers debate,

"Do the rules allow you to do that?"
"They don't specifically say I can't."
"But, it's implied elsewhere that you shouldn't do that."
"Again, it's not specifically stated."
__________________
I have seen the darkness in my soul and shine brighter for it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Frenzy's Avatar
Frenzy Frenzy is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 424
Default

Most Aliens in TOS looked hideous or human, this guy looks just the right mix Hope he is like Worf, the best security chief ever
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-29-2008, 08:30 AM
miles3347 miles3347 is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 178
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post
Saint is referring to the fact that they are coming up with new aliens that were not present or mentioned by any other series, particularly TOS.

The Denobulans were never mentioned on Star Trek prior to Enterprise, and suddenly they are founding members of the Federation...so apparently, they went upstairs never to be heard from again.

The big problem is how many of the 100 or so worlds in the Federation at the time of Kirk (if there were even that many) are inhabited by creatures virtually identical to humans. There could have been Betazoids on Kirk's Enterprise, and we'd never known it, because it never came up. Same goes for Trill, we know Dax was on Earth during the 23rd Century, but we never saw anyone with that kind of makeup. (Of course, apparently violating her own statement, we see Dax hiding her spots, which suggests that while humans may have known about the Trill, they were not Federation members and certainly not part of Starfleet. Then again, Curzon was a Federation ambassador, so maybe no spots was simply a choice the Trill went by at the time.) And what of the dozens of aliens mentioned during TOS that simply "go upstairs" themselves.

Are you referring to the episode were they had the transporter accident that sent them back to the twenty first century before the Bell Riots.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Frenzy's Avatar
Frenzy Frenzy is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 424
Default

Aaah Worf, didnt he have a line in DS9 where he goes "Death to the opposition" ?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-29-2008, 08:36 AM
lordisaiah's Avatar
lordisaiah lordisaiah is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles3347 View Post
Are you referring to the episode were they had the transporter accident that sent them back to the twenty first century before the Bell Riots.
Actually, I was referring to the the episode where they get involved with the events of "The Trouble with Tribbles."
__________________
I have seen the darkness in my soul and shine brighter for it.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-29-2008, 08:42 AM
miles3347 miles3347 is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 178
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post
Actually, I was referring to the the episode where they get involved with the events of "The Trouble with Tribbles."
Sorry for that when I was rereading your post i remembered the episode were they went back in time via the orb of time. That point in time the planet trill may not have been part of the Federation. Explaining a trill being on the enterprise in a star fleet uniform roaming the ship would have been difficult.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-29-2008, 08:47 AM
lordisaiah's Avatar
lordisaiah lordisaiah is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 468
Default

I did mention that possibility in my post...
__________________
I have seen the darkness in my soul and shine brighter for it.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.