The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > STAR TREK novels: A question
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Captain

My gut tells me it'll depend on how this film does, leaning toward original canon for the books, seeing as Star Trek XI is geared toward general audiences, and general audiences are less likely than dedicated fans to pick up a novel or comic book based on a franchise.

If this film is a huge commercial hit, then very likely novel covers and comics going forward will depict the new look and likenesses. If it bombs, I'm pretty sure Pocket and comics publishers will go on as if the film never happened.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Fleet Admiral

I like Voyager's Mosaic and I bought it because at the time...they...it was canon...
but shortly after Voyager and Enterprise Paramount revoked status of canon from all books. No more semi canon or canon book establishing that the only thing that is canon is the on screeen visuals and dialogue.

Marco Palmeri delivered this decision but it's unclear if it was his or from higher up.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:21 AM
Lieutenant

They already have options for choosing your own end of the federation, the genesis wave, an invasion of 7000 borg ships, the super plagues, majority of the fleet wiped out by the Totality, etc. The details differ, but they're all the same in killing a few trillion here or there, rendering large portions of the Federation and allies lifeless and without resources, and providing a last minute magic solution so the series can continued.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Midshipman

I'm looking forward to the comic adaptation and novel adaptation of this movie.

Saint,

I hope you're right. I'm not BIG into canon but its nice to know that if for some unlikely reason I don't care for this movie there will be the "tried and true" to sort of fall back on.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:53 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
My gut tells me it'll depend on how this film does, leaning toward original canon for the books, seeing as Star Trek XI is geared toward general audiences, and general audiences are less likely than dedicated fans to pick up a novel or comic book based on a franchise.

If this film is a huge commercial hit, then very likely novel covers and comics going forward will depict the new look and likenesses. If it bombs, I'm pretty sure Pocket and comics publishers will go on as if the film never happened.
This is basically how I see it, too...

Though if the movie works out, I could imagine the 'current' novel series expanding to include the new film as well. The cover art and title font would be the only significant means of distinguishing them, though - since, on the page, the two could be nearly indistinguishable. Aside from any detailed descriptions of people and places... though the current novels get those points wrong often enough as it is.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:45 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekfan69 View Post
Ok, well I guess it's just me then. I didn't realize that the books were not considered canon. Shame, that. Some of them are very well written. So what is official canon? Just what appears on the screen? Who is the canon master and how were the canon rules officialized?
Yep. None of the books are considered canon although I've heard that the writers of the film have used some of their favourite novels as "inspiration". For example Best Destiny by Diane Carey could perhaps have influenced their take on the young James Kirk growing up.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Since we're doing a "Back to the Future" style thing with STAR TREK XI...
More like Back to the Past

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 11-29-2008, 06:03 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile

Quote:
Ok, well I guess it's just me then. I didn't realize that the books were not considered canon. Shame, that. Some of them are very well written. So what is official canon? Just what appears on the screen? Who is the canon master and how were the canon rules officialized?
From reading stuff about Star Trek over the years canon is only what is shown on the series (original,next gen, DS9, voyager,enterprise) and the movies. The animated series is not part of canon and none of the books.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:09 AM
Ensign

Does Paramount considerthe animated series canon? This seems to be where there would be alot of contention as alot of back story to the enterprise is mentioned. Captain April etc.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:11 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles3347 View Post
From reading stuff about Star Trek over the years canon is only what is shown on the series (original,next gen, DS9, voyager,enterprise) and the movies. The animated series is not part of canon and none of the books.
And theres my answer. Thanks Miles.