The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Kirkboy In The Dry-dock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2008, 05:53 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
No matter how long the time, showing a younger Kirk seeing how the ship he wants to command one day is built and invoking the impression that this is a great project and not a ship done in mass production is great drama and emphasizes the relevance of the big E.

Any thing that size to a kid seeing it from his back yard would inspire wonder even if it was just being mass produced.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Vice Admiral

I'm still skeptical of the whole Enterprise built on Earth situation. I could get my head around components being built on Earth and then shuttled to orbital drydock for final assembly. But the whole 190,000 TON (380 MILLION POUNDS!!!) ship being built on Earth and then somehow transproted to orbit?? Sounds far fetched to me. Even in the 23rd century, lifting something that massive into outer space would be a monumnetal feat of engineering. It just doesn't sound realistic. (I know, it's a movie. I'll get over it somehow.)
Old 11-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I'm still skeptical of the whole Enterprise built on Earth situation. I could get my head around components being built on Earth and then shuttled to orbital drydock for final assembly. But the whole 190,000 TON (380 MILLION POUNDS!!!) ship being built on Earth and then somehow transproted to orbit?? Sounds far fetched to me. Even in the 23rd century, lifting something that massive into outer space would be a monumnetal feat of engineering. It just doesn't sound realistic. (I know, it's a movie. I'll get over it somehow.)

You and me both.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

My great-grandmother was born in the horse-and-buggy age and lived to see man walk on the moon, and more. That was a mere 90 year span.

To put 21st century limitations on 23rd century technology -- where we all easily accept warp space travel, alien cultures and transporters -- just to move a ship into orbit is... a bit unimaginative.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Lieutenant

Default I only have one thing to say...

Old 11-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestartrekker View Post
Was musing over the trailer
Kirkboy smashes through a barrier of somesort, looks like it could be a building site of some sort, then falls into an obviously man-made desert abyss- otherwise known as Enterpise dry-dock, excuse the pun
Would this be too corny if he was sneaking around a top secret facility like a Starfleet shipyard? Intoduce us to the bones of the story, a skeletal outline of a ship in construction "My name is James Tiberius Kirk. And one day, all of this....will be..mine!"
I don't think it would take twenty-five years to create the ship yards...
I think it's a rock mine.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Wouldn't it fly out under its own power, or did I not look in the ST Encyclopedia of probable starship physics reality or something?
Old 11-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Midshipman

Ok, so Kirk was very young when the car went over the casm. But he was older when he saw the constuction. Kirk was not the first Captain of the Enterprise. Remember how backward the episodes that featured Captain Pike looks, almost like 10 years before or more.

I look at the constructuon yard as a simple place to construct ships. Remember that there was a fleet out there beyond the Enterprise. Look at the primary epiodes, there are many many more ships! So the Enterprise was noe the only one being constructed. It was only one of a fleet of ships.