The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek Baloon In Macys Parade????
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1jamest View Post
The USS Enterprise CVN-64 is in the shipyard in Newport News Virginia being overhauled. The ship in ST IV was the USS Ranger CV-61. The USS Enterprise CVN-64 has been stationed at NOB Norfolk Virginia since the early 1990s and has not been to Pearl since the 80s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Enterprise

All your people must learn before you can reach for the stars. -- Kirk, "The Gamesters of Triskelion"
They're overhauling her again? My God! That ship is already more than 50 years old! She just might be the oldest operating naval vessel on the planet!
And considering all the battles she's took place in, and all the trips she's made to places around the world, and all the humanitarian missions she's been part of, the American people have certainly gotten their money's worth out of the CVN-65! And then some. And now they're overhauling her again? That means she'll be operational for at least another 5 or 6 years! Thank you Big E!
Old 11-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
They're overhauling her again? My God! That ship is already more than 50 years old! She just might be the oldest operating naval vessel on the planet!
And considering all the battles she's took place in, and all the trips she's made to places around the world, and all the humanitarian missions she's been part of, the American people have certainly gotten their money's worth out of the CVN-65! And then some. And now they're overhauling her again? That means she'll be operational for at least another 5 or 6 years! Thank you Big E!
I thank it's just a refulling, they have to do that every ten years or so. She was built in 1961 not quite 50 yet (although it may be 50 years since the keal was laid), and there are ships older (some countries are still using WWII ships and there are a few pre 1950 submarines left). Best I can remember from the last major overhaul of the Big E, she is suppose to be around until the 2030s.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1jamest View Post
The USS Enterprise CVN-64 is in the shipyard in Newport News Virginia being overhauled. The ship in ST IV was the USS Ranger CV-61. The USS Enterprise CVN-64 has been stationed at NOB Norfolk Virginia since the early 1990s and has not been to Pearl since the 80s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Enterprise

All your people must learn before you can reach for the stars. -- Kirk, "The Gamesters of Triskelion"
Wait Wait Wait Wait Wait!

In 2001 I was in Pensacola Florida and I went on a tour of the Enterprise while it was docked there. And yes, it was CVN 65....so where did you get thati t has been docked in Norfolk since the 90's?
Old 11-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
Wait Wait Wait Wait Wait!

In 2001 I was in Pensacola Florida and I went on a tour of the Enterprise while it was docked there. And yes, it was CVN 65....so where did you get thati t has been docked in Norfolk since the 90's?
She was probably just visiting NAS Pensacola. Norfolk is her "home port." I'm pretty sure that's what was meant by "docked."

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 11-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Lieutenant

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
She was probably just visiting NAS Pensacola. Norfolk is her "home port." I'm pretty sure that's what was meant by "docked."
Thank you, I somtimes forget that not everybody was in the Navy and understands the lingo.

By the way I said "stationed" not "docked"

A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on and
licks it, or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.-- Dr. Boyce, "The Menagerie" ("The Cage")
Old 11-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Lieutenant

The Enterprise is due to be decommissioned by 2015.

This is a nice read on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(CVN-65)