The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What is your canon? and a little game.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2008, 05:01 AM
Ensign

Cut to Star Trek IV The Voyage Home. Catherine Hicks character asks Kirk if they use money in the 23rd century and the reply is a no. Cut to Star Trek V The Final Frontier, on Nimbus III in Pleasure City there is a scene with a TV in the background and what I caught from watching it was an advertisement for buying a new home and getting a loan from federation credit or something to that effect, so even in the original movies there was variations. By the way, I really enjoyed the odd number movies, especially V because I think it had very good character interaction and it really could have been much more, but I digress, back to the canon issue, there ya go.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:33 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I'm one for the big stuff...Vulcans are utterly respectful of life and so would not eat meat or wear leather (or furs!!), Spock served with Pike for 11+ years before Kirk showed up....

Chekov is 12 years younger than Kirk....

Stuff like that....

I realize I'm going to be hit with a canon issue or two with the new film.
Yes I was wondering when someone would figure out that they were different ages. According to the chronology Chekov was born the year that the Enterprise originally launched under Capt April.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Commander

I feel that since Chekov's age was never specifically mentioned onscreen (was it?) but only put forth in expanded universe sources, that fudging over that particular detail is ok.

-Free Enterprise
Old 11-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
I feel that since Chekov's age was never specifically mentioned onscreen (was it?) but only put forth in expanded universe sources, that fudging over that particular detail is ok.
Who mourns for Adonais...

Kirk: "Chekov... How old are you?"

Chekov: "Tventy Two sir."
Old 11-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile Range Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Isn't Yelchin 19 years old? Seems to fit if this movie is set a few years before the five-year mission (if there is any time reference in the movie).
Are they all supposed to be the same age same general age. Give or take a few years.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Vice Admiral

i dont care about canon,it has nimoy in it
Old 11-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Lieutenant

To me, most shows and movies are canon, a movie example is I don't consider STV canon, nor Spock's Brain, or that Voyager warp 10 episode where they evolve into newts. There are others but something has to be very low quality AND not be able to be explained away to not be canon.

TAS is semi-canon, and I also consider the better novels to be semi-canon... particularly the giant novels and some of the mini-series.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Lieutenant

Like the poster above, I see most on-screen items as canon. Because Gene said so, I treat Star Trek V apocryphal, but I otherwise use the universe as-is with very, very few exceptions. One notable one, though, is that I refuse to believe the existence of the abomination that was the ENT finale.

The only other changes are my inclusion of the Caitians and Edoans as part of my "official" Trek races (don't remember enough of TAS...I was still very
little when it came out)...I have a special affinity for Caitians, as I played one in an online free-form RPG for nearly 10 years, actually creating a language and culture for the race over the years.

I haven't really tackled the debacle of Nemesis just yet, but I'll probably change the details surrounding the event slightly to make it more of a palatable coup within the Romulan Empire (assuming I run any RPGs set in that time).

So, I have a few differences with established canon, but not many.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Last edited by TJJones : 11-28-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile

all my years of nitpicking I have thought cannon was simply what they show on the series and movies even if it conflicts with an earlier series or movie any thing else dose not count (book,games). That is what i have been told.