The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Is This The " Life Size Enterprise JJ Had In Mind?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post

For me, this is almost better than Abrams' model.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
It's bad enough that the thing is proposed as being "just like" the classic ship, but what's worse is people are acting like it actually is just like the classic! What?! After how much of what kind of hardcore hallucinogenic drugs does that thing look to anyone "just like" the classic design? So it's got a saucer, a neck, a secondary hull and two nacelles -- so did the Enterprise-D from TNG? Is anybody on hardcore enough crack that they'll say with a straight face the Enterprise-D looked "just like" the classic TOS Enterprise?

Dude will you chill for a second?

A. I agree with you that canon should be respected, seriously look at all my previous posts/ threads if you don't believe me, but

B. The Enterprise was supposed to have gone through at least four refits in it's years of service. I don't see how canon can't accommodate this new design and the others as refits of the ship. I mean we even saw the ships design altered during the run of the original series, The most obvious changes being the warp engines. In some episodes of season two ( a piece of the action) the back ends look like a pasta strainer, with all those little holes, where as in others (The Menagerie) they have the familiar end caps, interior corridors were redone all the damned time, and I'm not even getting into the changes made from the Original "Cage" model.

Is the new design a radical redesign sure. Is it ugly, well that's really a matter of taste, it it so different from the original design or the refit, that you could no longer comfortably call it a Constitution Class Star Ship?

That's up to you as well I guess.

-Free Enterprise
Old 11-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
It's a matter of perspective, for some the changes are major, for some minor. Believing that someone took drugs because he has a different view reveals a lack of understanding of diversity.
You know sometimes you do this vulcan thing so well it's kind of creepy.

-Free Enterprise
Old 11-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Commander

as it was meant...hehe I may live to see it!

-Free Enterprise
Old 11-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
It's a matter of perspective, for some the changes are major, for some minor. Believing that someone took drugs because he has a different view reveals a lack of understanding of diversity.
Diversity is the collective state of objects, persons or concepts which are unalike. I understand diversity perfectly. Diversity, however, is not in and of itself a virtue.

Neither is the implication that another must in order to be virtuous, share your own opinions, attitude or viewpoint. Nowhere have I stated or implied that anyone must feel or think as I do, nor have I issued a personal attack against anyone for failing to do so, with phrases such as "blow me" or the like.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
nor have I issued a personal attack against anyone for failing to do so, with phrases such as "blow me" or the like.
Point me to the offending post and I will gladly apologize for whichever non-cannonista told you to to that. The line must be drawn here.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukalaka View Post
Point me to the offending post and I will gladly apologize for whichever non-cannonista told you to to that. The line must be drawn here.
That person was you, in point of fact.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
That person was you, in point of fact.
Link to post?