The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What is your canon? and a little game.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Commander

Default What is your canon? and a little game.

With all this heated rhetoric being blasted about the forum concerning canon and it's adherence to, or lack thereof in the new Trek film it has become quite clear that canon means wildly different things to many people.

At one extreme there are people content with any change that occurs to Star Trek, as long as the words Star Trek are put before it. At the other end there are those who would burn the film reels because the buttons on Kirk's command chair are on the left armrest instead of the right.

Then there are all the rest of us, occupying some nebulous final frontier in the middle. So my question is, what is canon for you?

I will go first,

For me everything is about the continuity and believability of the vast star trek story line that has been built over the last 40 years. I don't care about visual set elements, modernization of the bridge, a remodeling of the Big E, or what have you. All these things are acceptable, as long as both the general concepts and details of Trek's story lines and character backrounds are respected.

I will in fact accept any change that is either explained to me within the context of the Star Trek universe, or can be easily rationalized with a plausible in universe explanation.

In fact I find it exceedingly fun to rationalize and concoct in universe explanations for Trek canon foibles of the past.

Why did Khan recognize Chekov in Trek II when he wasn't in the cast until season two, at which point Khan was already on Ceti Alpha Five? Quite simple really, like Sulu, Chekov had been on the ship for a long time, but wasn't promoted to his bridge station until season two.

Or, Why is Zephram Cochrane from First Contact so different from the Cochrane seen in TOS?, Well, The companion is obviously an energy entity of great power, when she first encountered Cochrane he was old and in poor health, as in First Contact, because she felt a desire to protect and nurture this creature she used her formidable power to revitalize Cochrane into a younger more virile form.

This brings me to the second part of my post. I would like for Trek fans who enjoy ironing out Trek plot inconsistencies in the same way I do to have a little fun and try to rationalize the three "canon problems" seen in the trailer, either in a humorous or serious way..

For example...Kirk couldn't drive a car in "a piece of the action", because moments before a vast anvil was dropped on his head, posibly by Data who was once again flitting around time and playing with anvils, this caused Kirk temporary amnesia, and he forgot that he knew how to drive.

The three main inconsistencies I'd like to "work around" are

A. Kirk meeting and fighting the Romulans in his academy days when he hadn't even seen them until many years later in "Balance of Terror"

B. Kirk meeting Pike when he was promoted to fleet captain and Spock serving under Pike for 11 years before Kirk took over the Enterprise, when both Kirk and Spock were assigned to the Enterprise as cadets under Pike. (as per the new film)

C. Kirk forgetting how to drive a car in the years between his childhood in Iowa and the episode "a piece of the action"

Have fun everyone, and be creative, I look forward to your many canons and many "fixes"

-Free Enterprise

Last edited by radoskal : 11-27-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Captain

Chekov appeared in season 2.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Commander

my mistake

-Free Enterprise
Old 11-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
A. Kirk meeting and fighting the Romulans in his academy days when he hadn't even seen them until many years later in "Balance of Terror"
He fought an elite regiment of Romulans who wore ceremonial masks in combat, like Maximus in the Colosseum.

Quote:
B. Kirk meeting Pike when he was promoted to fleet captain and Spock serving under Pike for 11 years before Kirk took over the Enterprise, when both Kirk and Spock were assigned to the Enterprise as cadets under Pike. (as per the new film)
Kirk: Always had trouble with remembering people, like Demora in GEN.

Spock: Served twice with Pike. No big deal.

Quote:
C. Kirk forgetting how to drive a car in the years between his childhood in Iowa and the episode "a piece of the action"
The Iotian vehicle was alien technology. He only knew how to drive Earth cars.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
So my question is, what is canon for you?
A big tube that shoots a big projectile at a sufficient enough velocity to tear apart anything it hits.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralroot View Post
A big tube that shoots a big projectile at a sufficient enough velocity to tear apart anything it hits.
while I recognize the joke, your object would be called a cannon.

-Free Enterprise
Old 11-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
while I recognize the joke, your object would be called a cannon.
Or a gun, if we were on a naval ship.

Canon, to me, is anything that anyone wants to do as long as it makes a modicum of sense with what the general population knows about Trek. If all of a sudden Spock was a Marxist terrorist and the Enterprise had 4 nacelles and the Romulans were all blonde and buff, that would be bad.

Otherwise, heaven knows, anything goes! And why shouldn't it? Making a movie for an audience of 500 doesn't make much sense.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Captain

I was introduced to ST at a very impressionable time in my life- I think I was 5 or 6. These childhood memories became very dear to me and became very solidified in my mind. I read all the tech manuals and novels and it became a very real universe to me. I wanted everything to make sense, just as I did in real life. The iconic forms of the landing party equipment became burned into my head and to this day, they remain my favorite toys. From middle school, I would argue with my friends over minutia of plot continuity and various inconsistencies. For me then, anything that deviates from all this is anti-canon. I am not saying that I want to live through the 1960s again but for a franchise to have lasted as long as it has and to have generated a 40 real time earth-year history over 5 TV series and 10 thus far movies, anyone attempting to interact with that history had better respect it. The nacelles and the saucer and the size of the viewscreen on the bridge and the thread count in the uniforms don't mean as much to me as the story, but by that I don't mean the quality of the script as much as the respect for the history that has been set up for us over the past 40 years. What canon means to me is : don't change things that have been set into place and have been so for 4 decades.

So with regard to the 3 inconsistencies mentioned above, I would not even know where to start, nor would I want to because I am having trouble accepting these new facets of the story, though I am far more pissed about point 'B' than 'C'.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Captain

To me, canon is each and every details which remained unchanged the longest. If you want to rewrite the rules, write your own rules for your own universe. Don't like the classic Constitution class? Don't play in the 2260s. Don't like the colors of the classic Enterprise's bridge? Don't use the classic Enterprise bridge as a setting in your story.

What does respecting canon mean? Same thing respecting another man's house means. Can't leave it alone? Then stay the f*** out.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Commander

For a similar story to Abrams Trek from a Canonist viewpoint read Diane Carey's Final Frontier

New built Enterprise? Check!
Romulans? Check!
A contentious relation between a Kirk and a Vulcanoid? Check!

A great read.