The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > 2 Reasons why Trekkers & Trekkies need to Relax
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
i may sound cruel and harsh but the old star trek must , i repeat must die to be reborn like the phoenix from its ashes,like kirk said in trek 6 , people afraid of change
And as a Star Trek fan, that's something you want to have happen? You're not pulling, instead, for a middle ground, or -- dare I hope -- for something that revitalizes Star Trek without throwing it all away and replacing it with dumbed down popcorn fare for the locker room crowd?
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastor.dude View Post
Hey all!
I have noticed a whole lot of negativity going on after the release of the Trailer and Pics of the Enterprise. I want to give you two good reasons why everyone needs to relax and enjoy the movie!

1. The Nimoy Factor. Ok, we know he is in the film. We know he endorses Abram's vision for the movie. Remember, when the TOS Remastered project was announced, he was against it saying you shouldn't mess with a classic. Well, if he supports the new film it must be really good! AND did you see the latest version of the trailer with a Nemoy? This film will work!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39238

2. The Shatner Factor. Ok, so he's not in the movie as far as we know. However, on the forum is a interview with him on his opinion of the Enterprise and Abram's vision. HE SAYS TO EMBRACE IT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUoaFITdfQ4

So let's do everyone a favor! Let's wait and watch the movie before we go all freakish on Abrams...BTW, its that freakish fanbased negativity that has landed Star Trek in the laughable fanboy catagory. Instead be glad that we have a film to go see!

I don't know if that made any sense at all...
So we do the Oposite of what Nimoy says.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:54 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
Passionate is one thing. I consider myself pretty passionate about Star Trek. But when it turns into anal retention, then it becomes a problem.
Thank You! I loved the original series and much of what followed, but anal retention is right. Let's make the judgement call about the story and more important things once the film is released. JJ has been successful because of his out-of-the-box approach to his projects. One thing I've learned in life--you can't please everyone no matter how hard you may try. Thus, I don't try anymore. It makes no sense to pass judgement on small, fictional issues. If you don't like the film once it is released, then just pretend in your
minds that it never happened in your little fictional worlds. And really, there are more important things in life to worry about . . if I hurt anyones feelings, give me your address and I will send you a candy gram . .
Old 11-27-2008, 04:06 AM
Lieutenant

Dude.....we CAN'T RELAX THIS IS STAR TREK.

Star Trek is serious business.

Seriously.

(If the bridge doesn't have at least some candy-based button controls I am going to die.....where's the respect for Candy Cannon, Abrams you phuck?)

Old 11-27-2008, 04:07 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
And as a Star Trek fan, that's something you want to have happen? You're not pulling, instead, for a middle ground, or -- dare I hope -- for something that revitalizes Star Trek without throwing it all away and replacing it with dumbed down popcorn fare for the locker room crowd?
Four words.

There be whales here!

Old 11-27-2008, 04:35 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Again, this is just a trailer. And pound for pound, all movie trailers, including Star Trek trailers \/\/hore out the movie's elements that appeal to the mainstream crowd: sexuality, explosions, special effects, suspense.

Given Abrams track record I doubt we're going to get a product that's for the "locker room crowd". We'll get something for everyone really.

This leetism among the Star Trek fans is getting annoying. Star Trek is mainstream. It always has been. Why shouldn't there be more fans? The TOS used the sex sells method at every chance it got. When the movies came out it kept using sex sells and added explosions sell. But underneath all that are thought provoking stories and the theme of space exploration and social commentary on our present life. That's what matters here. Will Abrams still preserve the main ideals and vision of Roddenberry's Star Trek, even if liberties are taken with canon.

Again I say, it didn't stop Peter Jackson.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:45 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
You know your right, there is no point arguing about this, I'm not going to change your view, and only seeing the movie and judging for myself will dispel whatever trepidations I and other (canonites, canonistas, whatever it is you chose to call us) may have. I'm tired of arguing. All the great stories of the world maintain internal plot and character consistency, and that's all I care about.
That's the point I was trying to make! While liberties were taken with canon the internal plot was still maintained. However consistency changed even in LotR. Who took Frodo to Rivendell? How old was Frodo? (an age consistency that rivals that of the whole Kirk age at the time of ship construction) When did Aragorn get his sword back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
Although I wish to point out that LOTR is a bad example, as the core storyline of LOTR is housed in JRR tolkeins books the filmic reinterpretation by Peter Jackson does not really overwrite the internal plot and character consistency of Tolkien's books. However since Trek's main storyline is contained within films and television seri, any aditional material shot and reinterpretation thereof has a direct plot revising impact on whatever came before it.
Pardon me, but that's very superficial. It's all fiction in my book. We're not talking about a real historical fact here. We're talking about fiction.

About character consistency. I learned to play the clarinet when I was in fourth grade. If somehow, someone went back in time and changed it to where I learned clarinet even 4 years later, would that change who I am? It might have changed my development a bit, but I would still be me.

Whether or not Kirk knows how to drive is not what's going to determine whether or not at his core he is still Kirk. Kirk is Kirk because of how he deals with things. The types of choices he makes. This goes for all the characters and story all around. It's still Star Trek whether or not canon was screwed with. Thus far anyway. Again... we won't know until the movie comes out!
Old 11-27-2008, 08:13 AM
Vice Admiral

i will always cherish star trek in my dvd collection, but only there , i didnt mean kill star trek literally for a new kind of pop corn fandom,you missunderstood me , only fond memories i have from the past trek, series and movies,but people its time for a change, a big change ,a bigger vision , we mast not live in the past, as zardoz said to me once the future holds much more interesting things, and that goes for trek too
Old 11-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post

Pardon me, but that's very superficial. It's all fiction in my book. We're not talking about a real historical fact here. We're talking about fiction.
Thats right, but we are talking about perceived reality, and perceived reality must be maintained in order for any fictional piece to function, that's one of the first things they teach you in writing and for that mater film classes. A character cannot be wearing a blue shirt in one frame and then suddenly be wearing a red one in the next unless some interceding event explains the sudden change in shirt color.

I was simply trying to point out that in the case of LOTR, one fictional interpretation has no direct bearing on the other. They are like two separate universes. The same can not be said for the new Trek film in relation to all the other Trek incarnations that have been.

Perhaps it would have been better if this was a complete reboot ala Quantum of Solace, then us sticklers could have our Trek and a new viewership could have a new Trek and all would be well in Trekdom.

-Free Enterprise
Old 11-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digginonrand View Post
1. Stress can cause ulcers.
2. Stree can cause diahrea, which is painful and annoying.
3. Star Trek is fiction--GET OVER THE CHANGES PURISTS.
4. Worrying about a Star Trek movie when there is terrorism, starvation, economic problems and other more important things going on in the world is just ignorant.

There you go. I give you 4 reasons.
You forgot number 5: Stress can lead to death!

GREAT SCOTT!!! ANOTHER FRIEND OF ZARDOZ!