The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The Canyon.. It might of been asked
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Lieutenant

JJ said they were FILMED in CA, they don't necessarily mean the scene is SET in CA.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
JJ said they were FILMED in CA, they don't necessarily mean the scene is SET in CA.
But the Enterprise was built at the San Francisco Fleet Yard....and that ain't in Iowa.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSpotRun View Post
But the Enterprise was built at the San Francisco Fleet Yard....and that ain't in Iowa.
Dude, it was never said ANYWHERE that that Enterprise was built in the San Fran fleetyards. They're in ORBIT. They're not ACTUALLY at San Fransisco.

The CONSTITUTION REFIT of NCC-1701 was done at the San Fransisco fleetyards.

So PLAUSIBLY the Enterprise was built in Iowa on the ground. I mean they didn't always have space docks you know.

This is from Wikipedia:

San Francisco Fleet Yards (also known as San Francisco Navy Yards or simply San Francisco Yards) is a Starfleet shipyard located in Earth orbit, with its shore offices probably located in the city of San Francisco. There is also an orbital office complex near the drydocks of the yard. (Star Trek: The Motion Picture)
Old 11-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Commander

A silly question but How can you tell if a ship is being BUILT or REBUILT?
Old 11-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
Dude, it was never said ANYWHERE that that Enterprise was built in the San Fran fleetyards. They're in ORBIT. They're not ACTUALLY at San Fransisco.

The CONSTITUTION REFIT of NCC-1701 was done at the San Fransisco fleetyards.

So PLAUSIBLY the Enterprise was built in Iowa on the ground. I mean they didn't always have space docks you know.

This is from Wikipedia:

San Francisco Fleet Yards (also known as San Francisco Navy Yards or simply San Francisco Yards) is a Starfleet shipyard located in Earth orbit, with its shore offices probably located in the city of San Francisco. There is also an orbital office complex near the drydocks of the yard. (Star Trek: The Motion Picture)
The problem I have with building ship on the planet is the ship Is massive and their is now apparent support structure for the warp nacelles and they are the most massive part of any star ship. The constitution class ship is more massive that a Nimitz class aircraft carrier I could see them building them in the water.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Midshipman

Any official confirmation of where on Earth the Enterpirse is being built?
If its IOWA I have no problem, just want to know.
Damm, I can't wait for MAY
Old 11-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
CANYON! If i hear one more word about canyon, I think I'm gonna flip out! I don't see why we have to keep to canyon! Canyon has just messed up Star Trek, I mean, look what it did to the Genesis planet. All that canyon just up and tore it apart! And Kirk in the new Star Trek, almost fell into one! I'm tellin' ya', canyon isn't good for Star Trek.
Classic.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSpotRun View Post
I don't think they are supposed to be in Iowa. We don't have areas that flat nor that dry and dusty here. Where are the verdant fields of corn? I think J.T. hijacked Daddy's relic (by that time) Corvette for a joy ride and ran afoul of the law somewhere in the Southwest. The Enterprise, therefore, wasn't built in Iowa - as some posit this shot means.
We're post world war III here remember? In Kirks time, we're post a lot of things. Who knows what environmental damage may have been done in all the years from here to there. Nothwithstanding the fact that just because the corvette has Iowa plates, doesn't necessarily mean it is in Iowa. We drive cars all over this country from every state. I see more different plates at work every day than you can shake an ear of corn at.