The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Fiction Sample: "Rebels Of Gor"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2008, 01:57 AM
Captain

Hope it's okay to bump this, I don't know if too many people read it.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-26-2008, 06:01 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

No thanks. Don't get me started on all the reasons I hate Gor. Any "philosophy" that automatically supposes that one sex is superior to another, and that any variations in human sexuality is an abomination, is so stupifyingly backward that it deserves every insult people can fling at it.

Normans novels are worthless crap. Worse, than that, they lead the people who read them down a path of intolerant, insulting stupidity.

And, for that matter, they're written about as well as your average Harlequin Romance.

If you want some good barbarian fantasy, read some Haggard, or maybe Karl Wagner.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Vice Admiral

What Is This?

Old 11-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
No thanks. Don't get me started on all the reasons I hate Gor. Any "philosophy" that automatically supposes that one sex is superior to another, and that any variations in human sexuality is an abomination, is so stupifyingly backward that it deserves every insult people can fling at it.
I agree. That's why you'll find that, while the setting in this story (this excerpt is taken from a story requested by someone who feels the same way about the philosophy behind Gor even while she was drawn to the world Norman depicted) is Gor, the protagonists behave very differently from Norman's.

Quote:
Normans novels are worthless crap. Worse, than that, they lead the people who read them down a path of intolerant, insulting stupidity.
For the most part, also sadly true.

Quote:
And, for that matter, they're written about as well as your average Harlequin Romance.
And I think that saying that is an insult to your average Harlequin Romance. Norman's narrative is broken and disjointed, shot through with self-aggrandizing rants the neolithic mentality of which would be shocking in a layperson of the 20th century, much less an ostensibly highly educated individual; his dialogue is so contrived and repetitive that it's outshone by the Sunday comic strips, and his penchant for neologisms is staggering. You don't find any of that in the excerpt of my work, however.

Quote:
If you want some good barbarian fantasy, read some Haggard, or maybe Karl Wagner.
Or, give a read through this and see if I haven't turned Gor on its head through the actions of character even without altering setting. It won't hurt you, I promise.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
What Is This?
This is an excerpt of a novella commissioned by a young lady who enjoyed the series of books, "The Chronicles Of Counter Earth" by John Norman. Having managed to choke my way through one of these books, I agreed to tackle the assignment, but while I kept the world Norman created as intact as possible, I crafted heroes in it who, unlike Norman's, show the virtues of self-restraint and compassion.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Vice Admiral

(Thinking)......