The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > To Everyone Who Says That Jj Hates Star Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Lieutenant

Well i dont think he will throw it to the wind, changes yes. I dont want a BSG like sex operation on Kirk or Spock [ Starbuck of the original becomes a female in the new series ] Though talking of BSG, i love the new one and totally hate the old one :O

Nah that wont happen to me and Trek!!

BSG is Battlestar Galactica
Old 11-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Well does Benjamin Sisko need to be black for people to understand his charecter and the series in general?
Sure it is important, at least in the context of Far Beyond the Stars and the fact that a black and a woman were in the center seat in DS9 and VOY has some significance as well.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
Please. Talk down to me some more. I love that.

We're talking about over 40 years of stuff here. By the time most people get halfway through (assuming they ever would) they won't remember half of what they've seen anyway. Not everyone is a canon nazi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
I'm not talking down to you, i'm trying to illustrate my point in a straightforward manner that point being once again, that consistency and continuity are very important if a story and or fictional universe are to be made believable. I think JJ and Co. could have very easily maintained consistency with other Trek and yet they chose not to in certain instances, which I find needless and disapointing.
Yes, you were, and your example was ridiculous. No one changes direction like that from one chapter of a book to the next and you knew it when you wrote it. That kind of exaggeration to make a point is inane.

The details that fans like you are fretting over are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. The vast majority of moviegoers will never know or even care that Kirk had trouble driving an antique car in one episode shot 40 years ago, or whatever the next piece of trivia is that you people find to nitpick. The important thing is that the movie has been made, the franchise isn't dead yet, and the cast has been signed for two more.

It really doesn't matter if you agree with me or not. I'm right and I know it.

Have a nice day.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
No one changes direction like that from one chapter of a book to the next
It can be pulled off, made for an intriguing story, not necessarily a good one, but...
Old 11-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Commander

Quote:
Yes, you were, and your example was ridiculous. No one changes direction like that from one chapter of a book to the next and you knew it when you wrote it. That kind of exaggeration to make a point is inane.

The details that fans like you are fretting over are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. The vast majority of moviegoers will never know or even care that Kirk had trouble driving an antique car in one episode shot 40 years ago, or whatever the next piece of trivia is that you people find to nitpick. The important thing is that the movie has been made, the franchise isn't dead yet, and the cast has been signed for two more.

It really doesn't matter if you agree with me or not. I'm right and I know it.

Have a nice day.
The producers of a show called Enterprise thought that too, oh we'll just change a detail here, a "historical fact" there...no one remembers any of that stuff anyway...the result was..well obvious, the shortest lived Trek series since TOS, but I guess the film will vindicate either you, or me, Honestly I hope its you..cause believe it or not I want trek to suceed as much as you do.

-Free Enterprise
Old 11-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
The producers of a show called Enterprise thought that too, oh we'll just change a detail here, a "historical fact" there...no one remembers any of that stuff anyway...the result was..well obvious, the shortest lived Trek series since TOS, but I guess the film will vindicate either you, or me, Honestly I hope its you..cause believe it or not I want trek to suceed as much as you do.

The thing is, if the producers of Enterprise had changed "historical facts" about Trek, but had still produced a show that had amazing, thought-provoking stories, witty, clever dialogue and memorable characters... violations of "canon" wouldn't rankle the way they do. Or at least not as much.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that canonicity shouldn't be the make-or-break issue for this movie. The big question should be, "is it a good story?"

It would be amazing if the writers could find a way to reconcile the movie with all the stories that have gone before, but I wouldn't be too upset if they didn't -- provided the story is a good one, well told, and faithful to the optimism and hopefulness of Trek.

Ok, screed over.
"Then we're going to lunch."
Old 11-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

I wonder what the canonites say when they read or see Shakespeare. That Hamlet sucks because he behaves like a Elizabethian instead of a 8th or 9th century or whenever Danish prince.
It's about a good story and good charactors, not about misinterpreting a funny scene from A Piece of the Action and taking the word that Kirk cannot drive a car too serious. It is not anyhow essential to his character whether he can drive a car or not.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Lieutenant

With the way some people on this message board act, you'd think Wrath of Khan might have been ruined for them by having new uniforms, the Checkov line, and the genesis device not looking in line with previous tech 'evil computers of the week' from the 1960s!

You guys are cards, though, I love you <3

Old 11-26-2008, 04:35 AM
Lieutenant

Lol, good point Kukalaka Another series that comes to mind is Dexter, it now radically differs from the novels and frankly speaking it has saved the serial from becoming a Buffy rehash. Please tell me some one watches Dexter!
Old 11-26-2008, 04:38 AM
Lieutenant

IMHO ENT died because of television politics, bad plot lines and giving the finger to fans by consistently delivering shoddy episodes for 2 seasons. I like the Xindi arc though it could have been shortened. And got rid of the Temporal cold war. The villans of that story line were laughable!