The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Windows Or Mac: Which do you use?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I use Scrivener for writing, it's a great program.
I use Finaldraft, for writing. Great program as well. It's primarily designed for screenplays. It's both Mac and PC which is nice. That's one major downside to Mac, there are plenty of programs and especially games that are solely PC.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 11-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Captain

I do tend to use Final Draft pretty frequently, as well, but for timing scenes -- something that's important to me, Type A perfectionist that I am -- I find Montage a bit easier.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Windows XP.

Very easy to use, even to someone with rudimentary understanding of computers, like me.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
I do tend to use Final Draft pretty frequently, as well, but for timing scenes -- something that's important to me, Type A perfectionist that I am -- I find Montage a bit easier.
I have heard good things about Montage, but never used it. What about Montage do you find easier as far as timing scenes?

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 11-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
I have heard good things about Montage, but never used it. What about Montage do you find easier as far as timing scenes?
Well, to explain that: I use the Blake Snyder method of story structure, which means that I can time 'scenes' out to the minute in the "Save The Cat!" software, between 40-44 scene cards to a script. Divide the scene cards by the average page count of 90-110 and you get a rough estimation of the number of pages for each scene. The thing that makes Montage easier than Final Draft, for me, when taking this into account is that although Save The Cat 2.0+ and Final Draft are supposed to play nice together when it comes to exporting/importing these scene cards into a Final Draft script, I've yet to ever see this work.

It has worked for me, consistently, with Montage.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Even though I use Photoshop a lot, I'm still sticking to PC. I had to work with a Mac when I took some graphic arts classes because that's what's used the most in computer graphics but I hated it. The interface is very similar to Windows but so different at the same time. Actually, I think it's because of that that it was so difficult for me to adapt. Prior to this I had been working on a PC for about 10 years and some habits were just too hard to break. I'm not one to resist change but in this case, I just didn't have the patience. Plus, the stupid machines kept crashing! Photoshop and Illustrator NEVER crash on Windows and yet they did it a few times when I was working on a Mac. Mind you, it could have been because it was on a network in a large school but still...

Someone mentioned those Mac ads which, IMO, make PC owners basically uncool and aims at making them feel like dinosaurs... At first I thought they were funny but now they just annoy me. One more reason for me NOT to buy a Mac.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
Even though I use Photoshop a lot, I'm still sticking to PC. I had to work with a Mac when I took some graphic arts classes because that's what's used the most in computer graphics but I hated it. The interface is very similar to Windows but so different at the same time. Actually, I think it's because of that that it was so difficult for me to adapt. Prior to this I had been working on a PC for about 10 years and some habits were just too hard to break. I'm not one to resist change but in this case, I just didn't have the patience. Plus, the stupid machines kept crashing! Photoshop and Illustrator NEVER crash on Windows and yet they did it a few times when I was working on a Mac. Mind you, it could have been because it was on a network in a large school but still...
I felt exactly the same way you do for the longest time -- it was a combination of two changes Apple made that closed the deal for me. First, they switched to Intel processors, enabling the possibility of running Windows on the Mac if I just couldn't handle the change while at the same time making the Mac a platform for the stouter hardware components available to Windows PCs. Second: Leopard. I've been using a Mac since April and consider myself a highly proficient user now, just as I was on Windows (though I still have little use for the Unix terminal underpinnings of my system) but I still won't bother with iterations of OS X previous to Leopard.

Quote:
Someone mentioned those Mac ads which, IMO, make PC owners basically uncool and aims at making them feel like dinosaurs... At first I thought they were funny but now they just annoy me. One more reason for me NOT to buy a Mac.
You know, I agree that the whole air of smugness and self-congratulation in them is more than a bit sickening, BUT... I didn't buy a Mac because of them, and I'm just as glad I didn't turn away from a very solid computing experience because of them, either. Advertising -- and no offense, just my opinion -- is an equally silly reason to not buy a thing as it is for buying it.

If you want to experience the best advertising for the Mac there is, take yourself down to a Fry's Electronics or Best Buy and get your hands on one running Leopard for about half an hour. That's what will either sell you or not.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
I use Finaldraft, for writing. Great program as well. It's primarily designed for screenplays. It's both Mac and PC which is nice. That's one major downside to Mac, there are plenty of programs and especially games that are solely PC.
That used to be a problem. To an extent, there's still an extra cost involved, but you can run either a fully installed instance of Windows via dual-boot (with BootCamp) or virtualized (VMWare Fusion or Parallels). You can also run most Windows-only programs inside virtualized shells using CrossOver (a program similar to Linux's WinE).