The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Youtube Review of Star Trek trailer
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2008, 05:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

I don't think that's true...I think just the opposite is true.
Star Trek lore will be lost if you revitalize the past.
Keep the future in our present and the past in the past. I'll never agree with a prequel. I'm just not intrested in the past of Kirk no matter what it is. There is not mystery ...even if they do something more with it.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:27 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Keep the future in our present and the past in the past.
But if you keep the future in the present, that will put the present in the past. Then if the past is in the past and the present is in the past and the future is in the present, the past and the present and the future will all be the same.

My head hurts.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
I trust Leonard Nimoy's opinion about this movie more than I trust the guy in the video. People thought redoing The Joker wouldn't work because no one could do it better than Jack Nicholson. Heath Ledger proved them wrong. New young actors WILL keep Star Trek alive. Young teens aren't watching the old TOS TV series anymore. Star Trek lore will be lost if it isn't revitalized. What a shame that would be. Good for JJ Abrams for taking a chance. The young actors are putting their careers on the line. Star Trek comes with some negative baggage so for any young actor to jump in is worthy of our appreciation.
Great analogy with the Joker. I was curious as to wether or not I would be accepting of a new Joker, after being such a fan of Nicholson's Joker. And I was VERY impressed with Ledger...an incredible job of acting.

Nice points!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
But if you keep the future in the present, that will put the present in the past. Then if the past is in the past and the present is in the past and the future is in the present, the past and the present and the future will all be the same.

My head hurts.
Why did you have to go and do that? I'll be up all night now with that running through my head....

Nothing wrong with a new interpretation of Trek, and it will never affect Trek of the past. If this movie is bad, are you going to stop watching Trek forever? Are you going to burn all of your Trek books, throw out all of your Trek movies, and never speak of it again?

Regardless of how the movie does, Trek will still be here.

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Federation Councillor

IMO, I trust Nimoy's opinion about the film more than literally anyone else's, and his decision to appear in it. Maybe it's putting all my eggs in one basket but he has a formidable grasp of the overall meaning of Star Trek, both in terms of simple entertainment and it's larger themes and I don't believe he would appear in anything at this point in his life that wasn't appropriate to that.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Lieutenant

Yes thats a very valid point, after all Nimoy shaped Trek in more ways than one!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
IMO, I trust Nimoy's opinion about the film more than literally anyone else's, and his decision to appear in it. Maybe it's putting all my eggs in one basket but he has a formidable grasp of the overall meaning of Star Trek, both in terms of simple entertainment and it's larger themes and I don't believe he would appear in anything at this point in his life that wasn't appropriate to that.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Yes thats a very valid point, after all Nimoy shaped Trek in more ways than one!
I agree....but do we know if Nimoy has seen the total finished product? And it sounds as if he isn't in a majority of the movie, so was he commenting on his scenes alone, or the whole movie?

It sounds like his scenes with Kirk are pretty memorable...hopefully the rest of the movie is too!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Lieutenant

No i dont think Nimoy would go " Hey i can do a scene for a Trek movie " Remember this was a guy who did not want to do Phase 2, so it must be a good script to pique his interest. [ All Pure logical conjecture ]
Old 11-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

You know if this was a bad movie...Nimoy wouldn't know...he probably has a small part and many times the actors don't know how the parts come out in the end.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Lieutenant

Yeah and Nimoy is just another bit actor just in for the fame and money? Yeah right, get real. Nimoy cares more about trek than Shatner ever did. Infact if it was not for Spock TOS would have never ran!

I talk of Shatner just to say that i could believe shatner would not read the part unlike Nimoy!
Old 11-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
You know if this was a bad movie...Nimoy wouldn't know...he probably has a small part and many times the actors don't know how the parts come out in the end.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Yeah and Nimoy is just another bit actor just in for the fame and money? Yeah right, get real. Nimoy cares more about trek than Shatner ever did. Infact if it was not for Spock TOS would have never ran!

I talk of Shatner just to say that i could believe shatner would not read the part unlike Nimoy!
I think we can all say that Nimoy isn't in it for the money. But like Saquist and I both said, maybe he hasn't seen the whole film, and can only comment on his role in it.

I hope that's not the case, that hopefully he was allowed to see the direction the whole film was taking.