The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Crowd reaction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
What's with all the "no noise during the movie" stuff? Here in NY we get INTO the movies. We yell advice, we bootleg, we call people on our cellphones to give reviews...

(Which is fine for action flicks, but otherwise Netflix is a better option!)
When anyone's cellphone rings in my country, the rest of the audience deeply desires to punch whoever was so grossly inconsiderate as to leave the stupid gadget switched on. And heavens help any of those dopey, selfish pricks who actually make phonecalls while the rest of us are trying to pay attention to a film we've paid to see...

Old 11-25-2008, 04:01 AM
Ensign

I have to say that, when it comes to watching films/movies, I'm glad I live in the UK! No offence intended to Americans but, if I was watching a film or even a trailer in the cinema and people started whooping and cheering, I'd have to walk out straight away. I couldn't think of anything more intrusive or annoying when you're trying to watch a film!
I remember listening to the audio commentary for James Cameron's Aliens and he said that when Ripley appears in the powerloader towards the end and says to the alien, "Get away from her you BI*CH!", the entire audience just stood up and started cheering and whooping and punching the air (almost like some sort of Gerry Springer show?!). How annoying would it be to get to a great action moment in the film and somebody just stands up in front, blocking your view and shouting over the sound of the movie. Its a different culture I guess.
In fact, I'd go as far to say that in the UK, you'd probably get thrown out of a cinema for doing anything like that (Apart from that Mamamia film, anyway).

Last edited by VoyagerFan : 11-25-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:21 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
What duds!! (no offense!) Talk about Vulcans on modern day Earth!!
LOL it is logical to remain silent during the trailers and movie to experience everything without Wooping.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

It's very rare that I actually see that type of obnoxious behavior here in the states. Although the cell phone business is way out of hand......
Old 11-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyagerFan View Post
I remember listening to the audio commentary for James Cameron's Aliens and he said that when Ripley appears in the powerloader towards the end and says to the alien, "Get away from her you BI*CH!", the entire audience just stood up and started cheering and whooping and punching the air
Lol, you are kidding.
The cinema isn't a theatre where the actors actually could see your reactions. Clapping simply makes no sense.
And THAT, disturbing the other viewers right in the middle of the movie, that is just crazy.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Commander

See? It is NOT humans that Vulcans, Klingons, and Romulans can't stand. It's just us Americans!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Ensign

I'm eager to see the trailer in a theater, for two reasons:
1- to see on a big screen with high quality sound
2- to see the reaction of the audience

Of course, I prefer to see movies in good conditions, where people don't talk, move etc.
But sometimes it's nice to have the full audience reacting positively to a scene, like laughing loud or even applauding. It shows that the scene was good and I don't any issue with that.

I think the same kind of things happen in planes. Sometimes, when the plane lands, people applaude. The reason may be simply that they are happy to arrive, or that the landing was perfect or... anything. But I think it's inpredictible.
I'm always happy to see this kind of behaviour in a theater, provided that it's just for a short while and doesn't prevent to appreciate the movie.

Maybe it's a latin behaviour. We, French, are at the border of latin cultures, and probably more on the latin side.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Fleet Admiral

To the credit of my fellow, local moviegoers, I can't remember the last time I heard a cell phone ring in the middle of a film. I think the annoyance factor plus the pre-movie 'ad' campaign requesting people turn off their phones/ringers during the film actually has had an impact on audience behavior. At least in my town, though it is a quite media-savvy demographic.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Vice Admiral

My School Hasn't Said Anything. But I Asked My Career Exploration Teacher If She Liked trek.. She Said She Saw The Trailer, And Thought It was Awesome!