The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The Canyon.. It might of been asked
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Is this a Code?

I don't think they are supposed to be in Iowa. We don't have areas that flat nor that dry and dusty here. Where are the verdant fields of corn? I think J.T. hijacked Daddy's relic (by that time) Corvette for a joy ride and ran afoul of the law somewhere in the Southwest. The Enterprise, therefore, wasn't built in Iowa - as some posit this shot means.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSpotRun View Post
I don't think they are supposed to be in Iowa. We don't have areas that flat nor that dry and dusty here. Where are the verdant fields of corn? I think J.T. hijacked Daddy's relic (by that time) Corvette for a joy ride and ran afoul of the law somewhere in the Southwest. The Enterprise, therefore, wasn't built in Iowa - as some posit this shot means.

Its in the future. How are we to know what Iowa looks like then? Even today, i'm sure there is a dusty area like that in some part of Iowa.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile Space Colony

What if that was a space colony Kirk was living on when he drives the ancient car off a cliff. Like a domed city on the moon Tycho City, New Berlin. Yes the car had a Iowa license plait on the car this might explain why their is a open pit mine Kirk did not now about. This space colony might serve as a ship yard were enterprise could be built allowing the crews to work in plane clothes and simply partitioning the area around the ship with a force field to launch her. The moon or asteroid would give the crews low gravity to work on the ship. Kirk's father might have brought the car with him to fix up and did not remove the license plate while stationed on the colony and Kirk in grief after his father dies drives off in the car not knowing the canyon was their. My theory it explains every thing.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Ensign

Can anyone make out the tan and yellow blocks of numbers?
Old 11-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Lieutenant

why do you say he didn't know about the quarry (not canyon)? evidence?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
why do you say he didn't know about the quarry (not canyon)? evidence?
Does he intentionally drive the car off the cliff if he had not lived their long he would not be familiar with the back country were ever he was. It would have been easier to just stop and get out and push the car off the cliff in to the pit.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles3347 View Post
Does he intentionally drive the car off the cliff if he had not lived their long he would not be familiar with the back country were ever he was. It would have been easier to just stop and get out and push the car off the cliff in to the pit.
If characters did everything the easy way, movies would be incredibly boring. And never filmed.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSpotRun View Post
I totally agree. I don't believe this scene or the later scene where the Enterprise is being built to be in Iowa! I recall reading recently an interview where either J.J. or Bob Orci said some of the scenes in the trailer are in California... The close up to the license plate is just showing that the CAR and DRIVER are from Iowa... therefor implying to the fans that this is James T. Kirk!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Vice Admiral

Plus, you can see where the rock has been cut in straight lines, quarry-style.

The land is flat enough that it sure isn't anywhere east of the Mississippi. How come nothing cool from Trek (except Dr. McCoy) is fron the east??
Old 11-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwise3 View Post
I totally agree. I don't believe this scene or the later scene where the Enterprise is being built to be in Iowa! I recall reading recently an interview where either J.J. or Bob Orci said some of the scenes in the trailer are in California... The close up to the license plate is just showing that the CAR and DRIVER are from Iowa... therefor implying to the fans that this is James T. Kirk!
Whats throwing people off is the fields in the background were they show Kirk riding his motorcycle to view the construction of enterprise look like the fields were he was driving the car.

Last edited by miles3347 : 11-25-2008 at 11:06 AM.