The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Gary Sinise should have been cast as McCoy.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 06:07 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
Seriously... how strong was McCoy's southern accent, really?! Most of the time I have to strain myself and/or really pay attention to pick up on it. Trip on ENT had a southern accent that you could cut through with a knife. But McCoy? Not so much.
In the beginning McCoy had a pretty good Southern accent. Now I will admit that it faded until about Star Trek 5...but I'm starting to look at Urban in a new way.

The guy just doesn't have that "Southern Whiskey Drinking Doctor" feel to him.

I dunno...I'm just scared of this movie. I know it's silly but I'm starting to see things that I didn't see before and they're pissing me off. Nothing about the way the ship looks or transporters or any like that. Just the characters and the way things feel in the trailer...there's NO kinda feel like a navy type vessel. The way it looks to me is like they're all on board a clean and glossy Millennium Falcon and it's every man for himself.

I'm just having second thoughts about this. This isn't the Trek I knew and loved and grew up with. This is something else. BUT...I will wait to see the movie to give my full thumbs up or down.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Um, Karl Urban is 36 years old.

And as far as accents, what I've noticed about McCoy's accent as played by Deforest is his pronunciation of r. That was present in the trailer.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
And you can tell this just from seeing him in the trailer for about 5 seconds? Wow... Unless you saw the other scenes that were presented to the reporters... Did you? Because if you didn't, then I would strongly suggest that you wait till you see the movie before passing judgment.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Admiral

As was pointed out to me when I was freaked out by Quinto's almost chipmunk reading of his lines, what we hear in the trailer isn't necessarily what we'll hear in the movie. It's entirely possible that Urban was brought back in to do a different reading of the line for the trailer (or, even, that the line isn't in the movie)...I wouldn't put it past Abrams to toss "problem" things into the trailer just to generate discussion (which, obviously, it does). I'm sure Urban will do "old country doctor" just fine.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 11-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Fleet Admiral

Also, Urban's line was fairly well 'shouted' or at least spoken in a loud voice, which would tend to dilute any southern drawl which would accompany a slower, less urgent reading.

Similar to the way people's accents often disappear while singing -- spoken cadence has a lot to do with how regional accents are delivered.

After all, we never heard Kelley shout, "It's worse than that, he's day-id, Jay-im!"

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Lieutenant

I really wanted Urban to say "Dammit, Jim!" or "I'm a doctor, not a ____" in the trailer I think Urban is really going to be awesome as Dr. McCoy. He's just got the right look to me. Besides, Urban is an amazing actor. He can pull it off.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Oh, I would want them to save that line for the film exclusively! I want to hear that in a long character-driven build-up and not know when it's coming.

I can't wait to see Urban say it... but I definitely want to wait.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Oh, I would want them to save that line for the film exclusively! I want to hear that in a long character-driven build-up and not know when it's coming.

I can't wait to see Urban say it... but I definitely want to wait.
Oh yes. You KNOW it's going to be in there somewhere.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Midshipman

I think Karl Urban will do a great job. He may have been in Doom and Pathfinder, but his acting in all of his movies is really good.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
In the beginning McCoy had a pretty good Southern accent. Now I will admit that it faded until about Star Trek 5...but I'm starting to look at Urban in a new way.

I dunno...I'm just scared of this movie. I know it's silly but I'm starting to see things that I didn't see before and they're pissing me off. Nothing about the way the ship looks or transporters or any like that. Just the characters and the way things feel in the trailer...there's NO kinda feel like a navy type vessel. The way it looks to me is like they're all on board a clean and glossy Millennium Falcon and it's every man for himself.

I'm just having second thoughts about this. This isn't the Trek I knew and loved and grew up with. This is something else. BUT...I will wait to see the movie to give my full thumbs up or down.
Have they shown McCoy speaking on the trailers. I would like to see McCoy and Spock bicker like in wrath of khan when they were discussing the genesis.