The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Parallel Universes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 AM
DNA-1842's Avatar
DNA-1842 DNA-1842 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
I saw one where they theorized that there could be as many as 11 different dimensions existing all at once all around us. How one would get from one to another, they couldn't say. But they did say there may be some dimensions you wouldn't necessarily want to visit, because you wouldn't survive there. They surmized all this on and around Einstein's theory of relativity and whether that theory was correct or not.
Those dimensions are dimensions in the sense of extensions of up, down, across and time. While we are talking about universes.
__________________
Gronda Gronda to all Zarking Hoopy Froods! Bowties are cool.
I Am A Friend Of


(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-20-2008, 10:27 AM
jerhanner's Avatar
jerhanner jerhanner is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deep in the 100 Acre Wood
Posts: 3,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
Any one able to recomend a good book on Quatum Physics?
Feynman does good stuff on regular physics... I think he touches on quantum physics a little.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-21-2008, 07:51 AM
FanWriter45's Avatar
FanWriter45 FanWriter45 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.
Posts: 3,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
Those dimensions are dimensions in the sense of extensions of up, down, across and time. While we are talking about universes.
DNA,

The two are inter-related. You have to have the geometry in place in order to support multiple universes in the same space.

Another good book on this subject, I remembered, is "The 4th Dimention" by Rudy Rucker. It's a good primer, written for the lay audiance, with little to no brain-exploding math.
__________________
Number Two: Conform, Number Six! Conform!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-21-2008, 11:02 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,046
Default

I really wish I could get my head around that kind of theory, I'd love to understand it better.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-21-2008, 11:53 AM
FanWriter45's Avatar
FanWriter45 FanWriter45 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.
Posts: 3,051
Default

Think of the dimentions as being the jar, and the universes being the water in it. (LOL, actually, not even close to approximating the real situation, but you gotta start somewhere.)
__________________
Number Two: Conform, Number Six! Conform!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Livingston's Avatar
Livingston Livingston is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Along the Kessel Run
Posts: 4,964
Default

The analogy in the show was pretty nice. Thinking of yourself on an ocean. You see the two dimensional plane, (well not really of course), but you appear to be on a two dimensional plane, floating on the ocean, but there is an entire world below. The fish below may be aware of you if you splash the surface or dive in, but otherwise, you go ahead floating in your dimension, they go ahead swimming in theirs. Crude analogy but it works somewhat.

Another analogy I remember is think of a two dimensional being, it can't go anywhere but forwards/backwards, side to side and then it comes to a cliff. Being a two dimensional being it wouldn't comprehend height, the cliff, it wouldn't know what it was looking at. M theory, says we exist in 11 dimensions so seven of them we cannot only perceive, cause they are imperceptably small, but we cannot conceive of them, 'cause we're 4 dimensional beings, at least that's how we perceive the world around us: 3 spacial dimensions, 1 time.

Crazy stuff!
__________________


"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-23-2008, 07:32 AM
DNA-1842's Avatar
DNA-1842 DNA-1842 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
DNA,

The two are inter-related. You have to have the geometry in place in order to support multiple universes in the same space.
Yes, I know. The quoted poster had the two confused as the one thing. Which is mostly wrong. But only mostly!
__________________
Gronda Gronda to all Zarking Hoopy Froods! Bowties are cool.
I Am A Friend Of


(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-23-2008, 11:24 AM
FanWriter45's Avatar
FanWriter45 FanWriter45 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.
Posts: 3,051
Default

Livingston,

I think you are talking about Edwin A. Abbott's "Flatland" A fun little book, and is also a great introduction to the ideas behind dimentional geometry.
__________________
Number Two: Conform, Number Six! Conform!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-23-2008, 01:02 PM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
The analogy in the show was pretty nice. Thinking of yourself on an ocean. You see the two dimensional plane, (well not really of course), but you appear to be on a two dimensional plane, floating on the ocean, but there is an entire world below. The fish below may be aware of you if you splash the surface or dive in, but otherwise, you go ahead floating in your dimension, they go ahead swimming in theirs. Crude analogy but it works somewhat.

Another analogy I remember is think of a two dimensional being, it can't go anywhere but forwards/backwards, side to side and then it comes to a cliff. Being a two dimensional being it wouldn't comprehend height, the cliff, it wouldn't know what it was looking at. M theory, says we exist in 11 dimensions so seven of them we cannot only perceive, cause they are imperceptably small, but we cannot conceive of them, 'cause we're 4 dimensional beings, at least that's how we perceive the world around us: 3 spacial dimensions, 1 time.

Crazy stuff!
That sounds pretty much like an analogy I heard, an ant crawling over a globe, which seems two-dimensional to it and having no limit, if it crawls long enough it reaches its starting point. Digging through the globe to reach the other end instead of crawling around as a shortcut is how I imagine a wormhole. The problem is of course that you have to first get somehow access to that fourth dimension (third dimension for the 2d-ant) if you wanna create one.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.