The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > To Everyone Who Says That Jj Hates Star Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Definitely agree Frenzy, it seems everytime a villain comes up in a new Trek movie they compare him to Khan, 'he'll be that good!', I remember the marketing campaign tried to paint a similar picture of Shinzon. It was pathetic.

The great thing about Khan is he was played as a guy that thought he was doing the right thing, maybe it was the right thing for him, but regardless, he played it honestly. He didn't try to be bad, evil, a villain. He let his action speak for that as we all do. He was a human being and you don't see that in villains very often. He wasn't a mustache twirling villain. Shinzon and his sneer and oily look gave you his top the second he got on screen. But not Khan, just like in space seed, he seduced the audience. It's Richard III, he seduced the audience.

Nero, remains to be seen of course, but he'll be no Khan, I'd bet on that. On the bright side at least he has a good name!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"

Last edited by Livingston : 11-22-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Definitely agree Frenzy, it seems everytime a villain comes up in a new Trek movie they compare him to Khan, 'he'll be that good!', I remember the marketing campaign tried to paint a similar picture of Shinzon. It was pathetic.

The great thing about Khan is he was played as a guy that thought he was doing the right thing, maybe it was the right thing for him, but regardless, he played it honestly. He didn't try to be bad, evil, a villain. He let his action speak for that as we all do. He was a human being and you don't see that in villains very often. He wasn't a mustache twirling villain. Shinzon and his sneer and oily look gave you his top the second he got on screen. But not Khan, just like in space seed, he seduced the audience. It's Richard III, he seduced the audience.

Nero, remains to be seen of course, but he'll be no Khan, I'd bet on that. On the bright side at least he has a good name!
Yeah, I agree. If Nero and Khan went head to head, Khan would be the last man standing.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 11-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Hey is that a new signature Omegaman? Never noticed it. Always liked O'neill's answer: "Though a light shines within my house, there's no one at home."

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 11-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Lieutenant

Oh yes i remember it well, Tom Hardy apparently studied Khan in great detail to emulate his performance No wonder he has no movies now. Bana has proved himself in movies so acting wise i am not so scared. And JJ's lost has villan ultimate Ben Linus, so maybe he could be Khan coz u can never get more self righteous villanous like Linus

""The Island made me do it!!!" lawl
Old 11-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayce1701 View Post
I've been reading around a lot of sites about how JJ likes Star Wars over Star Trek, or how JJ hates Trek. I got news for ya: Nicholas Meyer, the director of Star Trek 2 and Star Trek 6. When he was approached to direct Star Trek 2, his immediate reaction was: 'I've never watched Star Trek, I don't even know what it is. It's a guy with pointy ears, yeah?'

Nicholas Meyer knew nothing about Star Trek when he directed Star Trek 2, and what did we get? Undoubedly the best Star Trek film, and one of the greatest Science Fiction films of all time. You don't have to be a Trek fan to make a good Trek movie ok.. In actuality, it seems that non-trek fans should be the prefered directors for Trek movies, as seen by Star Trek 2 and 6. The only really good Trek movies directed by someone involved with Trek was 4 and First Contact. 3,5, and Generations were good, but they weren't revolutiary the way 2 and First Contact was.

JJ will revolutionize Trek, it is guaranteed.
Funny you mention Meyers. Since he did do ST2 I had REAL high hopes for 6 - yet it was cheesy - especially the whole crew getting a standing ovation?!?!
Old 11-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayce1701 View Post
I've been reading around a lot of sites about how JJ likes Star Wars over Star Trek, or how JJ hates Trek. I got news for ya: Nicholas Meyer, the director of Star Trek 2 and Star Trek 6. When he was approached to direct Star Trek 2, his immediate reaction was: 'I've never watched Star Trek, I don't even know what it is. It's a guy with pointy ears, yeah?'
A little more to your title.. some people honestly believe he hates Star Trek and couldn't care less about it. In fact, some took his comments about not having a mancrush on Spock and Kirk as meaning he "absolutely hates Star Trek" and that it somehow contradicted his other comments about "having seen Star Trek before" or something. It was just sheer stupidity to no end. Everytime he says something, someone is trying to twist it into something it's not and and it's getting old quite frankly.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Lieutenant

Well, if we can't all agree on this new film, at least we can all agree on the fact that Nemesis was a piece of crap.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Commander

I'm under the impression that Abrams simply wasn't a Trek fan as a child, which is when most fans seem to cement their enthusiasm. Doesn't mean he cannot have developed a healthy respect for it since then. People quibble about canon changes, but what hasn't changed for this new movie is far more significant.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:36 AM
Vice Admiral

if you re a fan i believe has nothing to do with the movie,if you re a realy good professional moviemaker has to do.abrams is very talented and has shown good examples,
Old 11-23-2008, 02:51 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Revolution is not always a good thing. What Trek needs is not a revolution but a course correction back to its roots.
Funnily enough, J.J agrees with that, he wants to refocus Trek back to it's original aspirations. He's even said as much.