The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > To Everyone Who Says That Jj Hates Star Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
The other example is Baird... :S
Yes, precisely.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I totally agree with you. And saying that JJ Abrams "hated" Star Trek before he got involved with this movie is absolutely ridiculous. He NEVER said that. All he said basically is that he didn't care much about it, that's all. I love how some people over-exaggerate everything around here...

Old 11-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Yes, precisely.
Sorry, but incorrect. Baird had no love for TREK at all and demonstrated his personal ignorance of it throughout filming.

To the opposite point, JJ surrounded himself with TREK experts including one of the co-writers of the film, and relied on them to speak to the parts of TREK which he knew less about. He remains most enthusiastic about the film, as both a producer and director.

No comparison at all between the two directors and their approaches to the projects.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Lieutenant

Return to its roots? Star Trek at its roots is best preachy and cerebral in nature. A la Insurrection. Not that it delivered on that front either Movie trek to be successful has to be clever in its approach. Action is a absolute must!! Breathtaking visuals is a MUST!! [I dont care if the constitution looks huge in the movie, that scene was breath taking.] A good villan, Khan is at the best end, Shinzon was an absolute failure. Neither did his chemistry with Picard any good, his villany was obviously laughable. Together with the Scimitar it was out of sync even for Star Trek fans.

Nemesis is an example for failed ideas. In the DVD commentary Spiner said that Braga and Berman brainstormed specific scenes in advance of making a script, which is why we ended with a lame plot. I hope and believe from JJ's record that he wont make those mistakes
Old 11-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
In all fairness, Baird had a dog of a script to work with and Meyer had one solid tight screenplay there. You can always turn chicken salad into chicken $hit, but you can never turn chicken $hit into chicken salad, the latter being the task Baird was hired for.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 11-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Lieutenant

Well Baird did not attempt to make a coherent attempt to better Nemesis, it was a naked attempt to put a lot of CGI and hope no one sees the movie for the plot, besides the Battle scenes were hardly exciting. Scimitar was ugly ugly ugly ugly. I would have prefered the Valdores and Enterprise perhaps with a Galaxy dish it out. Instead there was this ugly fish in the movie!!
Old 11-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Vice Admiral

Is Meyer Alive??

Old 11-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Ensign

Just listen to Baird's commentary during the film. I didn't know much about him but after listening to him I was turned off. He came off as uninterested & it felt like he was doing the commentery because he had to.. my 2 c's
Old 11-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Admiral

I haven't listened to the commentary but in interviews he did come off as not giving a rat's --- about his job on the film and it showed in the final product. With Meyer, he may not have known Trek, may not have been that interested in it but he did know a good story and how to make a damn good movie. And yes, Meyer is still alive and kickin'.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 11-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Lieutenant

Khan Noonien had all the classic elements of a villan, He was not the Shizon like hahahaa i have a big ship and i will blast you all to the stone age. He was some one you could relate to in his vengeance, though i would not go around killing people. Even McDowell in Generations was ok at least.

But i am worried Baba's Nero will join this growing list of failed villans. Anyway since the movie is about Kirk, Spock and gang most of the time it would not matter