The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > JJ throwing the canon out with the bathwater?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #131  
Old 11-22-2008, 03:06 AM
The Saint's Avatar
The Saint The Saint is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
The trailer's not meant to be a Reader's Digest Condensed Movie... a key point of the trailer is to attract interest and generate speculation. Hence why there'll often be multiple trailers focussing on different aspects of the movie - some geared toward action, others highlighting drama or tragedy, maybe others that try to appeal to younger viewers. Sometimes these trailers bear virtually no resemblance to one another, and when they take liberties with the chronology of the film, it can be tough to get any real feel for what the finished product's going to be like.

That said, anyone with a modicum of brainpower already knows how Abrams' Star Trek is going to end: Nero's defeated, Kirk and the crew take the Enterprise out into the great unknown. It's the same with any origin story/reboot/re-hash. The fun comes from seeing how characters get to where we know they're gonna be.
Not of the whole movie. Typically of the 30 to 55 minute mark.
__________________
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 11-22-2008, 03:41 AM
Big D's Avatar
Big D Big D is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,112
Default

Action/sci-fi trailers tend to include a few snippets from later in the film, if there's a flashy "big finish" like a fight or battle of some sort. But those are the kinds of trailers that seem to leave out (or at most, hint at) the deeper or more intellectual content... Looking back at the original Wrath of Khan trailer, all it really 'reveals' about the film is the Enterprise and Reliant pounding on each other, and Khan quoting Melville.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 11-22-2008, 05:43 AM
Robbman Robbman is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 31
Default

F Canon. I want a big, bold vision of Star Trek, and that's what it looks like we've got. Canon has been messed with for so long by Berman and his crew, its not as if we're talking about anything that had been held so sacred by previous writers. Who cares where the Enterprise is built? Who cares that there is a Romulan from the future? It's not as if we saw it being built before? What's important is that they're faithful to the characters, and so far that all looks like its been adhered to in fine fashion. This incarnation is finally the perfect excuse to have a reboot. So much has been changed, why not change some canon while we're at it? I'm not going to let such details ruin what could be a great movie.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 11-22-2008, 06:04 AM
martok2112's Avatar
martok2112 martok2112 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River Ridge, LA
Posts: 6,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbman View Post
F Canon. I want a big, bold vision of Star Trek, and that's what it looks like we've got. Canon has been messed with for so long by Berman and his crew, its not as if we're talking about anything that had been held so sacred by previous writers. Who cares where the Enterprise is built? Who cares that there is a Romulan from the future? It's not as if we saw it being built before? What's important is that they're faithful to the characters, and so far that all looks like its been adhered to in fine fashion. This incarnation is finally the perfect excuse to have a reboot. So much has been changed, why not change some canon while we're at it? I'm not going to let such details ruin what could be a great movie.
D'accord, mein amigo!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 11-22-2008, 06:42 AM
LTJG Iferal's Avatar
LTJG Iferal LTJG Iferal is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Action/sci-fi trailers tend to include a few snippets from later in the film, if there's a flashy "big finish" like a fight or battle of some sort. But those are the kinds of trailers that seem to leave out (or at most, hint at) the deeper or more intellectual content... Looking back at the original Wrath of Khan trailer, all it really 'reveals' about the film is the Enterprise and Reliant pounding on each other, and Khan quoting Melville.
Curiously, I've looked at the trailer in depth, and I don't seem to find a case of a single shot being fired by the Enterprise. I see the ship being built, and going to warp, but that's really it. And of course we know the Enterprise is going to be firing all weapons like crazy at SOME point during the movie.

I will point out that the trailer does bring up ONE concern, to me, and that is the matter of off-axis camera work. It shows two different tilted shots. A tilted shot now and then can add drama if done artfully; if overdone, it can be annoying. I remember a horrible, horrible sci-fi called Battlefield Earth, in which fully a third of the movie is shot off-axis. The movie seemed to devolve into self-parody when, during a tilted shot of someone looking at a security monitor, we see that the image on the monitor is, itself, tilted as well.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 11-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Lazyike67 Lazyike67 is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
If I had a penny every time someone assumes all canon is being thrown out, I'd have a fortune by now!!!

Well lets see... Spock had been serving on the Enterprise for 40 years when Kirk took Command. Therefore would NOT be graduating with him. The Romulans are not SEEN untill Kirk's SECOND year of his 5 year mission.
The Constitution class looks NOTHING like the news ship that is more a
Phase II or TMP era ship than one having the feel of an early model design.
The Bridge has been reinvented & is being passed off as an original.
No this only appeals to the lemming. Being a lemming is NOT a good thing they have a fetish for base jumping without a cute or Bunjie cord.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 11-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Robbman Robbman is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJG Iferal View Post
Curiously, I've looked at the trailer in depth, and I don't seem to find a case of a single shot being fired by the Enterprise. I see the ship being built, and going to warp, but that's really it. And of course we know the Enterprise is going to be firing all weapons like crazy at SOME point during the movie.

I will point out that the trailer does bring up ONE concern, to me, and that is the matter of off-axis camera work. It shows two different tilted shots. A tilted shot now and then can add drama if done artfully; if overdone, it can be annoying. I remember a horrible, horrible sci-fi called Battlefield Earth, in which fully a third of the movie is shot off-axis. The movie seemed to devolve into self-parody when, during a tilted shot of someone looking at a security monitor, we see that the image on the monitor is, itself, tilted as well.
Actually, there is one, and the Enterprise is upside down in the shot during a big space battle, so it tricks you into thinking its the Kelvin. Its a quick shot and easy to miss. Someone did a screen shot where I saw it.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 11-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Solex's Avatar
Solex Solex is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 54
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
And I've figured out exactly what it is about the look the whole thing that bothers me -- everything other than the uniforms is Star Wars prequel, not Star Trek. And we all know how well the Star Wars prequels did.
Excuse me, but the Star Wars prequels made a ton of money, and had fans lining up for days outside the theater. Also, they are true to the original movies-you just were too jaded to see it, because you wanted the same thing as last time. Here's the real truth about the Star Wars prequels; Why I Love The Phantom Menace

Don't believe that, you say? Well, here's more: Star Wars Blogging-Episode I: The Phantom Meance

I'm not too sure about the new movie, but I am sure about the prequel trilogy.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 11-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Robbman Robbman is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solex View Post
Excuse me, but the Star Wars prequels made a ton of money, and had fans lining up for days outside the theater. Also, they are true to the original movies-you just were too jaded to see it, because you wanted the same thing as last time. Here's the real truth about the Star Wars prequels; Why I Love The Phantom Menace

Don't believe that, you say? Well, here's more: Star Wars Blogging-Episode I: The Phantom Meance

I'm not too sure about the new movie, but I am sure about the prequel trilogy.
Aside from all that, what was wrong with the Star Wars prequels was not the look of them, it was the dialougue, and to some extent the extraneous story. We have no idea about the writing on Star Trek Yet.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.