The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > JJ throwing the canon out with the bathwater?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2008, 03:06 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
The trailer's not meant to be a Reader's Digest Condensed Movie... a key point of the trailer is to attract interest and generate speculation. Hence why there'll often be multiple trailers focussing on different aspects of the movie - some geared toward action, others highlighting drama or tragedy, maybe others that try to appeal to younger viewers. Sometimes these trailers bear virtually no resemblance to one another, and when they take liberties with the chronology of the film, it can be tough to get any real feel for what the finished product's going to be like.

That said, anyone with a modicum of brainpower already knows how Abrams' Star Trek is going to end: Nero's defeated, Kirk and the crew take the Enterprise out into the great unknown. It's the same with any origin story/reboot/re-hash. The fun comes from seeing how characters get to where we know they're gonna be.
Not of the whole movie. Typically of the 30 to 55 minute mark.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-22-2008, 03:41 AM
Commander

Action/sci-fi trailers tend to include a few snippets from later in the film, if there's a flashy "big finish" like a fight or battle of some sort. But those are the kinds of trailers that seem to leave out (or at most, hint at) the deeper or more intellectual content... Looking back at the original Wrath of Khan trailer, all it really 'reveals' about the film is the Enterprise and Reliant pounding on each other, and Khan quoting Melville.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:43 AM
Ensign

F Canon. I want a big, bold vision of Star Trek, and that's what it looks like we've got. Canon has been messed with for so long by Berman and his crew, its not as if we're talking about anything that had been held so sacred by previous writers. Who cares where the Enterprise is built? Who cares that there is a Romulan from the future? It's not as if we saw it being built before? What's important is that they're faithful to the characters, and so far that all looks like its been adhered to in fine fashion. This incarnation is finally the perfect excuse to have a reboot. So much has been changed, why not change some canon while we're at it? I'm not going to let such details ruin what could be a great movie.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:04 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbman View Post
F Canon. I want a big, bold vision of Star Trek, and that's what it looks like we've got. Canon has been messed with for so long by Berman and his crew, its not as if we're talking about anything that had been held so sacred by previous writers. Who cares where the Enterprise is built? Who cares that there is a Romulan from the future? It's not as if we saw it being built before? What's important is that they're faithful to the characters, and so far that all looks like its been adhered to in fine fashion. This incarnation is finally the perfect excuse to have a reboot. So much has been changed, why not change some canon while we're at it? I'm not going to let such details ruin what could be a great movie.
D'accord, mein amigo!

Old 11-22-2008, 06:42 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Action/sci-fi trailers tend to include a few snippets from later in the film, if there's a flashy "big finish" like a fight or battle of some sort. But those are the kinds of trailers that seem to leave out (or at most, hint at) the deeper or more intellectual content... Looking back at the original Wrath of Khan trailer, all it really 'reveals' about the film is the Enterprise and Reliant pounding on each other, and Khan quoting Melville.
Curiously, I've looked at the trailer in depth, and I don't seem to find a case of a single shot being fired by the Enterprise. I see the ship being built, and going to warp, but that's really it. And of course we know the Enterprise is going to be firing all weapons like crazy at SOME point during the movie.

I will point out that the trailer does bring up ONE concern, to me, and that is the matter of off-axis camera work. It shows two different tilted shots. A tilted shot now and then can add drama if done artfully; if overdone, it can be annoying. I remember a horrible, horrible sci-fi called Battlefield Earth, in which fully a third of the movie is shot off-axis. The movie seemed to devolve into self-parody when, during a tilted shot of someone looking at a security monitor, we see that the image on the monitor is, itself, tilted as well.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Midshipman

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
If I had a penny every time someone assumes all canon is being thrown out, I'd have a fortune by now!!!

Well lets see... Spock had been serving on the Enterprise for 40 years when Kirk took Command. Therefore would NOT be graduating with him. The Romulans are not SEEN untill Kirk's SECOND year of his 5 year mission.
The Constitution class looks NOTHING like the news ship that is more a
Phase II or TMP era ship than one having the feel of an early model design.
The Bridge has been reinvented & is being passed off as an original.
No this only appeals to the lemming. Being a lemming is NOT a good thing they have a fetish for base jumping without a cute or Bunjie cord.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJG Iferal View Post
Curiously, I've looked at the trailer in depth, and I don't seem to find a case of a single shot being fired by the Enterprise. I see the ship being built, and going to warp, but that's really it. And of course we know the Enterprise is going to be firing all weapons like crazy at SOME point during the movie.

I will point out that the trailer does bring up ONE concern, to me, and that is the matter of off-axis camera work. It shows two different tilted shots. A tilted shot now and then can add drama if done artfully; if overdone, it can be annoying. I remember a horrible, horrible sci-fi called Battlefield Earth, in which fully a third of the movie is shot off-axis. The movie seemed to devolve into self-parody when, during a tilted shot of someone looking at a security monitor, we see that the image on the monitor is, itself, tilted as well.
Actually, there is one, and the Enterprise is upside down in the shot during a big space battle, so it tricks you into thinking its the Kelvin. Its a quick shot and easy to miss. Someone did a screen shot where I saw it.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
And I've figured out exactly what it is about the look the whole thing that bothers me -- everything other than the uniforms is Star Wars prequel, not Star Trek. And we all know how well the Star Wars prequels did.
Excuse me, but the Star Wars prequels made a ton of money, and had fans lining up for days outside the theater. Also, they are true to the original movies-you just were too jaded to see it, because you wanted the same thing as last time. Here's the real truth about the Star Wars prequels; Why I Love The Phantom Menace

Don't believe that, you say? Well, here's more: Star Wars Blogging-Episode I: The Phantom Meance

I'm not too sure about the new movie, but I am sure about the prequel trilogy.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solex View Post
Excuse me, but the Star Wars prequels made a ton of money, and had fans lining up for days outside the theater. Also, they are true to the original movies-you just were too jaded to see it, because you wanted the same thing as last time. Here's the real truth about the Star Wars prequels; Why I Love The Phantom Menace

Don't believe that, you say? Well, here's more: Star Wars Blogging-Episode I: The Phantom Meance

I'm not too sure about the new movie, but I am sure about the prequel trilogy.
Aside from all that, what was wrong with the Star Wars prequels was not the look of them, it was the dialougue, and to some extent the extraneous story. We have no idea about the writing on Star Trek Yet.