The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Is it the same Enterprise??????
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Maybe I misinterpreted the question. Is it the same ship from TOS? Not remotely. Is it a ship that could be 'refit' into the ship we saw in TMP? Not any more easily than the classic ship was. Assuming the saucer is a direct number-by-number copy of the one on the TMP ship, which is just what it looks like, the rest of the thing is too small, with the exception of the engines, which are Dolly-Parton's-hooters HUGE by comparison.

I don't mind the design, but I have to agree with you on the engines . . .
Old 11-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhamster View Post
Because to my mind the teaser enterprise looks so much different to the one in the movie

Dont get me wrong i have no objection to the new E but i would much have preffered this one...
No it's exactly the same.
I think...If I had to guess..

Old 11-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Commander

Since the original design's been around for over 40 years, it makes sense that it'd get pretty ingrained into our minds, hence the difficulty some have with accepting the (relatively minor) changes that have been made for the new version of the story. It's also why the new ship "just doesn't look right" to so many - it's a very new design, after all, one we've had barely a few weeks to get to know, and we still haven't had a long, clear look at it. It takes time to get used to something, especially when it's competing with something so long-established.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Ensign

I think that you purists really need to check yourselves. There have been 9 various incarnations of the Enterprise so far if any are not just right it would have to be the one from Enterprise, it was not even the same basic shape. Sure the design in the 60’s was great, and even ahead of it’s time but get a grip people. In the 60’s we no way to make a ship look extremely realistic like we can today, add to that the relative gap between TV and film. The new ship is sleek, badass and looks like the Enterprise in form.

If you really want to whine about Starship design, lets talk about the insanely stupid looking Enterprise-D from TNG. That ship was so top-heavy it was ridiculous, and those warp engines looked like they were designed by the Cartoon Network. Now that was a stupid ship… fricken love boat in space is all it was.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Lieutenant

Yeah I guess I'm starting to agree that the new ship is nice looking... by the time the movie comes out maybe I'll be OK with it... every Trek ship has its charm... even the D, which I liked fine, but in my case that was the first one I saw for the most part, and became interested in... heck even the NX Enterprise was alright, though not correct in form cause it's a different class ship.

This new one grows on ya after a while I GUESS... maybe, perhaps, could be...
Old 11-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by thypentacle View Post
Yeah I guess I'm starting to agree that the new ship is nice looking... by the time the movie comes out maybe I'll be OK with it... every Trek ship has its charm... even the D, which I liked fine, but in my case that was the first one I saw for the most part, and became interested in... heck even the NX Enterprise was alright, though not correct in form cause it's a different class ship.

This new one grows on ya after a while I GUESS... maybe, perhaps, could be...
You know, the Ent-D actually brings up a very good point, we all know that design that works on TV does not generally translate to film, which is why they blew up the D in Generations. [/font]

I know you have affection for the D as it was your first Enterprise, but man, I grew up on TOS, I saw all 6 TOS films on opening day (yes, at some of them I was even in a uniform) and while the E is truly a badass design the D just looks wrong to me somehow. I still watched (and in later seasons liked) TNG, but the ship always sat wrong with me.

Part of my problem was the Star Warsafacatoin of Trek in TNG I know a lot of you are thinking “WTF?” about that, but bear with me. I am not talking about shallow stories, or really stupid characters, rather the way that the ships moved. The D was the first enterprise that started doing all sorts of crazy maneuvers. Star Ships are supposed to be like Navy Capitol Ships, they are slow to turn at best. When people started taking away the weakness of the ships they became less interesting.

When Kirk was facing off with a Klingon Cruiser, you knew that this was going to be a slugfest, but when the E can cut through borg Ships like a hot knife through butter, it just seams to loose some of the excitement. One rule to follow is ALWAYS make sure that the heroes do not have the upper hand as soon as they do, you take away the drama.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Ensign

I thought i had to say this

mjcrawford mccoys says "space is disease and danger WRAPPED IN darkness and silence"

sorry but grammer really gets my goat just they way i was brought up

people tell me im to english for my own good
Old 11-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Lieutenant

Do periods and capital letters get your goat, because I see problems with your post as well. I'm not sure you should be throwing stones, sir.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile disease and danger wrapped in darkness

Bones must hate space travel.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digginonrand View Post
Do periods and capital letters get your goat, because I see problems with your post as well. I'm not sure you should be throwing stones, sir.
Plus a couple of spelling errors! I guess we just have to remember that it's a message board and not an English classroom otherwise I'd be sitting at the back!