The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > "I'd watch it, but it's Star Trek... so I won't." :(
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-20-2008, 10:24 AM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
Perhaps some people are turned off by Star Trek because of comments made like this by Trek fans. I've noticed that some people in the Trek fan community seem to think they are better then other people who don't watch Trek because if you watch Trek you are more intelligent then others. Not to mention all the cannon arguments that go on (in the end it is just fiction). I can see why non Star Trek fans maybe turned off.

Soooo, these Trek haters that have never watched Trek, they refuse to watch Trek because they are afraid the "nerds" will make fun of them for not understanding it??

It's not about being "better" or "more intelligent" than NON-fans, it is however about enjoying more than shallow entertainment. I enjoy a mindless "reality" show every once in awhile (think: Tila Tequila), but do you think the average "reality" junky would give Trek a chance? The "nerd" or "brainy" stereotype exists for a reason. It is NOT accurate, but exists because Trek, in many instances, requires a more thoughtful viewer in order to be appreciated. Plain and simple.
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-20-2008, 10:24 AM
jerhanner's Avatar
jerhanner jerhanner is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deep in the 100 Acre Wood
Posts: 3,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
In my opinion, many people don't like TV shows that are thought provoking. Trek is a drama first, then sci-fi second, in my opinion. Many, many episodes deal with moral issues and parallel our current time. Many "average" tv viewers don't like to have their own views or thoughts challenged, they prefer mindless entertainment. Many people have simply said they thought Trek was too boring. They watch a couple of minutes then change the channel.
Let us not forget American's thinly veiled hostility to anything that smacks of intellectual entertainment.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-20-2008, 10:27 AM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Let us not forget American's thinly veiled hostility to anything that smacks of intellectual entertainment.
Agreed 100% And I don't believe that to be condescending to non-Trek fans.
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-20-2008, 11:24 AM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Enterprise Captain, see Fullphaser's post for a more articulate way of stating what I mean:

http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4279
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-20-2008, 11:34 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Update: his reason is that he thinks it'll be too much fiction and he doesn't think our future will be anything like Trek.
Hard to draw someone like this into sci-fi. Perhaps a discussion about idealism, about how ideas can change the world changes his mind.
Just ask him how the world would look like if Marx had not written his books, or if we would know the word subconsciousness without Freud. Or you blow him away with my favorite Keynes quote:

The ideas of economists and political philosophers, both when they are right and when they are wrong, are more powerful than is commonly understood. Indeed the world is ruled by little else. Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Enterprise Captain's Avatar
Enterprise Captain Enterprise Captain is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 1,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Soooo, these Trek haters that have never watched Trek, they refuse to watch Trek because they are afraid the "nerds" will make fun of them for not understanding it??

It's not about being "better" or "more intelligent" than NON-fans, it is however about enjoying more than shallow entertainment. I enjoy a mindless "reality" show every once in awhile (think: Tila Tequila), but do you think the average "reality" junky would give Trek a chance? The "nerd" or "brainy" stereotype exists for a reason. It is NOT accurate, but exists because Trek, in many instances, requires a more thoughtful viewer in order to be appreciated. Plain and simple.
I'm sure some people that don't really understand Star Trek are intimidated by fans that do and if no one explains it to them they may not want to watch the show. I singled you out because of this comment you made:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Tell your your friend to shove his small minded attitude up his a*s!!

When people I know diss on Trek, when they haven't even watched it, I NEVER hesitate to defend it. I usually tell them that it is not surprising that they don't like drame that requires some thought.
Would you really want to watch a show after someone said that to you? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying you are one of these fans that thinks they are better then the "average" person but I have meet some of these people and the way some folks on this board write they seem to fall in that category as well. When I meet those fans I feel that it's because of them Trekkies are given a bad name and why I have to always explain to non Star Trek fans we are not all like that. Don't forget the amount of Star Trek material out there I'm sure intimidates people and makes them not even want to get started, plus all the detail nitpicking. I agree with the rest of your point about reality TV but to each there own.

Last edited by Enterprise Captain : 11-20-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 AM
The Saint's Avatar
The Saint The Saint is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
One of my friends after seeing the trailer:
"If I wouldn't know that this is Star Trek, then after seeing this trailer I would probably watch it. But I've never liked Star Trek, so I'm not interested."

I guess the marketing campaign has to point out that this will be different
This illustrates a point I've been pushing for a long time. The fact that it carries the name is going to turn people off. The fact that almost all it carries is the name is going to turn others off.

J.J. apparently never heard the phrase, "**** or get off the pot." He's trying to pull a dodge where he's making Star Trek, but not making Star Trek, and this is the result. Star Trek fans won't go because it isn't made for them. Non-fans won't go because it still (almost) looks like it was made for Trek fans.
__________________
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Carrot Carrot is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 90
Default

The trekkies that really give trekkies a bad name are those that sit on a Jury in their "uniform".

http://www.cnn.com/US/fringe/9603/03-14/trek.html
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-20-2008, 11:51 AM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
I'm sure some people that don't really understand Star Trek are intimidated by fans that do and if no one explains it to them they may not want to watch the show. I singled you out because of this comment you made:

Would you really want to watch a show after someone said that to you? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying you are one of these fans that thinks they are better then the "average" person but I have meet some of these people and the way some folks on this board write they seem to fall in that category as well. When I meet those fans I feel that it's because of them Trekkies are given a bad name and why I have to always explain to non Star Trek fans we are not all like that. Don't forget the amount of Star Trek material out there I'm sure intimidates people and makes them not even want to get started, plus all the detail nitpicking. I agree with the rest of your point about reality TV but to each there own.
Ok. I am probably too aggressive at times. I will put on my dunse cap and sit in the corner now!
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-20-2008, 11:52 AM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot View Post
The trekkies that really give trekkies a bad name are those that sit on a Jury in their "uniform".

http://www.cnn.com/US/fringe/9603/03-14/trek.html

Please don't bring her up!! She is the epitome of taking Trek wayyyyy too far!!
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:10 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.