The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Mistake in Movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Explanations

1- The car in "A Piece Of The Action" was an alien design

2- It had a manual transmission.

Pick one and be content.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I think we are forgetting one VERY essential piece of information here.
The car in the trailer ends up sailing over a cliff!
That, to me, is not something that would happen if Kirk were a good driver.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Vice Admiral

Agreed

Old 11-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjh1701 View Post
"It's just I can't believe that something so pointless as a gear transmission(even if it is canon) even bothers people at all, compared to all the other canon discrepancies being discussed and dealt with.

Does this manual gear shift bother you that much dude?"

Actually, and I mean no offense by this, yeah, the manual gear shift does bother me that much...

I replied to another post about this same point. In the grand scheme of all the other gripes and complaints being thrown around about this movie, no it doesn't matter much at all.

Thanks for meeting me halfway at least.

Quote:
But to me it stood out, because I've been an "old school" Trekkie (yeah, I know, don't even start on the Trekkie vs. Trekker crap!) since I was a little kid. I'm 42 now and watched the first syndicated reruns when I was about 8 or so. I grew up with Trek and have been a fan my whole life.
That's cool that you were here from the beginning of Trek.

But I'm only 20 and it saddens me that older Trek fans seem to think they own the very essense of the series itself.

It is quite alienating to younger Trek fans when it feels like we're being thrown scraps of Trek rather than being able to sit at the same table with the seniors and sharing.

Quote:
The fun of Star Trek has always been these stupid little things that I watched over and over, grew up with, remember and enjoy. It's familiar and fun. And I guess part of being a diehard lifelong fan is that you get a little bit protective of something you grew up with and enjoyed so much.

Trek has always been a part of my life. I went to the first convention in New York City with my dad. At about 12, I met Gene Roddenberry, got a handshake and a real autograph (I still have it - he even personalized it!). I remember saving my allowance to buy Starlog magazine as a kid just to grab the latest news about the first new movie - STMP.

I cut out of school early to get in line for the first showing of TWOK (and got grounded for a week when my mom found out). I watched the premier episode of TNG in the dorm lounge in college on a big screen tv. I didn't even give up after I saw Star Trek V!
My dad introduced me to Star Trek(and he doesn't even care about Star Trek that much), so I know what you're talking about here. We used to watch TNG episodes together when I was a kid, one time he rented all of the first 6 movies on VHS for me to watch. He carried our entire family to the movie theater to see the the rest of the movies.

Quote:
It's always been a part of my life, so yeah, something dumb like seeing a young Kirk tear around in a Corvette bothers me.
I don't see why that is so bad. Kirk's always been a rebel of sorts and he does like antiques, seems fairly true to character to me.

Quote:
And so does a totally different looking Enterprise being built on the ground in Iowa.
I had a little trouble getting used to it being built on the ground too. I got over it, as for it being built in Iowa I still say that the clips that were shown were being ambiguous and weren't telling the whole story, not to mention that some of the reporters that documented the clips didn't have any idea about the real canon and had no idea how to fill in the blanks and create an accurate report.

Quote:
And so do Romulans being seen before Balance of Terror.
Time travel changes many things. Lily(21st century) knows what The Borg(24th century) look like.

Quote:
And yes, it scares me to hear somebody say they never really understood Star Trek, preferred Star Wars, and wants to make a movie for new fans. And, well, you get the idea.
Well Trek isn't just for current Trek fans. At least I don't think it should be.(my dad is a good example of this potential new fan base)

A non-Trek fan(who IS now a Trek fan) making a Trek movie seems like a good test to see if non-Trekkies will finally get it and realise what they've been missing out on.

This movie needs to be made if you believe that Star Trek should evolve and live on.

Quote:
I just feel a bit protective of something I grew up with. Something that's been a part of my life for well over 30 years.
I'm guilty of being a bit protective and irrational about it as well. I've shown the trailer to a lot of my friends and their first response after watching the trailer has almost unanimously been "I'm not a fan but, I want to see this movie."(sound familiar?)

This movie has me optimistic that I wont be too lonely in my love of Trek for much longer.

It's nice to know you're not alone, it's even nicer to know that there's a chance that there's more people out there that will potentially join you in something that you love.(Humanity's and Star Trek's quest for intelligent life is a nice parallel here)

Quote:
I was just expecting a little more loyalty to the original legend that started it all, built four series, ten movies, and all the fun I've enjoyed my whole life.

That's all.
I hate to quote something from Star Wars(I'm a fan of both ) but, "Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose." - Master Yoda

I'm not saying that I'm not guilty of flying off the handle about canon, but I do recognise that this nitpicking is destructive and hampering in the grand scheme of things.

I believe that everything can be better than it already is.(this is also what Star Trek has led me to believe)

Sometimes to make something better overall you have to make some sacrifices.

For now, I'm asking that we give up the gear transmission thing, I don't think that's too much to ask.

We Trekkies often dream about living in the future, yet we seem so intent on having a death grip on the past.

It can't be the way it is now forever, it just can't be.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS View Post
It is quite alienating to younger Trek fans when it feels like we're being thrown scraps of Trek rather than being able to sit at the same table with the seniors and sharing.

... loooooong post ...
That is a very, very interesting analogy.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
Hmmm, I might disagree with that on one count: if any 'average driver' here tried this stunt, they would be tumbling over the edge right after the Corvette. Cutting it that close and making a clean escape would require excellent judgment, vision, timing, vehicle management, etc.

And given how he drives the car as a kid, how he speeds along on his bike as an adult, Kirk seems no stranger at all to high speed driving skills -- one can assume gained by substantial experience.

I still believe he's wrecking the car -- and not wrecking himself -- very much on purpose, and all at the car owner's expense. Think but can't prove, of course!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
If you watch the trailer carefully you will see that it is premeditated action by Kirk. He wants to wreck the car. He knows there is a quarry there. He has to pass through the gate which is sign posted. He dives out of the car at the last possible moment. He needs the near death experience, just like when he climbs El Capitan.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 11-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Lieutenant

Good GOD! Get a LIFE ALREADY! The Canonites (Canonites meaning those crazy people who truly believe TREK actually has some form of "biblical" canon to it... when it really doesn't) drive me nuts! So what if Kirk couldn't drive a car in A PIECE OF THE ACTION! I didn't hear you people going this bonkers when Zephram Cochrane of ALPHA CENTAURI in METAMORPHISIS mysteriously teleported to BOZEMAN, MONTANA in FIRST CONTACT... The SHAT was right... GET A LIFE!
Old 11-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Commander

Yep, a little glitch like this is the least of our worries. A minor detail. And yet I admit, it was good attention to detail for you to notice it.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolFan2020 View Post
Good GOD! Get a LIFE ALREADY! The Canonites (Canonites meaning those crazy people who truly believe TREK actually has some form of "biblical" canon to it... when it really doesn't) drive me nuts! So what if Kirk couldn't drive a car in A PIECE OF THE ACTION! I didn't hear you people going this bonkers when Zephram Cochrane of ALPHA CENTAURI in METAMORPHISIS mysteriously teleported to BOZEMAN, MONTANA in FIRST CONTACT... The SHAT was right... GET A LIFE!
The visit to Cochrane in First Contact took place in a time WAY before TOS. His presence on Earth at the time the Next Generation crew travelled back through time on Earth WAS the time he was supposed to be there according to canon, to invent warp drive. "Metamorphasis" took place many years thereafter.