The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Diverse Federation in Star Trek XI?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Commander

The Federation is, according to Picard, "spread across eight thousand light years". If we assume that Earth is roughly at the centre, then that'd mean that many - or perhaps most - Federation worlds are several years away, at the highest sustainable warp speeds. If we assume that all Starfleet cadets study on Earth, then that'd mean a very long trip for most of the aliens who're interested in enroling. Hence the preponderance of humans, Vulcans, and others who live close by.

Having crews comprised mainly of one species could be a matter of biological practicality: each species would have different heat and cold tolerances, a different circadian rhythym, and an innate biological preference for a particular atmospheric composition and gravity. In short, by having a crew that's mainly human, you can tweak the ship's environment and schedule and optimise it for human preferences. Members of other species who are really keen to mix with an alien crew still have that option, but they'd have to acclimatise themselves, or endure a certain amount of hardship.

For instance, I believe Deep Space Nine functioned on a 29-hour Bajoran day, which would've been a challenge for its human crew at first. Whereas the Vulcan-crewed ships could have the hot, dry, thin atmosphere and greater gravity that Vulcans are used to.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
The Federation is, according to Picard, "spread across eight thousand light years". If we assume that Earth is roughly at the centre, then that'd mean that many - or perhaps most - Federation worlds are several years away, at the highest sustainable warp speeds. If we assume that all Starfleet cadets study on Earth, then that'd mean a very long trip for most of the aliens who're interested in enroling. Hence the preponderance of humans, Vulcans, and others who live close by.

Having crews comprised mainly of one species could be a matter of biological practicality: each species would have different heat and cold tolerances, a different circadian rhythym, and an innate biological preference for a particular atmospheric composition and gravity. In short, by having a crew that's mainly human, you can tweak the ship's environment and schedule and optimise it for human preferences. Members of other species who are really keen to mix with an alien crew still have that option, but they'd have to acclimatise themselves, or endure a certain amount of hardship.

For instance, I believe Deep Space Nine functioned on a 29-hour Bajoran day, which would've been a challenge for its human crew at first. Whereas the Vulcan-crewed ships could have the hot, dry, thin atmosphere and greater gravity that Vulcans are used to.
This is what I should of said!
Old 11-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Lieutenant

While 8kly is canon, I doubt that Earth is near the center. They encountered the Klingons and Romulans etc. early on which would have confined their boundaries in those areas, Earth is probably within a couple hundred ly of the Federation's boundary.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Commander

Good point, that was a silly oversight on my part... it's not like the Empires would appreciate the Federation surrounding their territory with allies, after all

Old 11-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Ensign

Well, the trailer definately shows one "tall alien", though I have no idea what the species is. It is also possible that there are more Vulcans in the crowd, though it is hard to tell the difference between a Human and Vulcan unless you get a good close up.

Here's to hoping that JJ had some alien in Starfleet!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
While 8kly is canon, I doubt that Earth is near the center. They encountered the Klingons and Romulans etc. early on which would have confined their boundaries in those areas, Earth is probably within a couple hundred ly of the Federation's boundary.
Earth is meant to be located right along the border between the Alpha and Beta quadrants, I'd guess it wouldn't be too far from here to either the Klingon or Romulan Empires.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Lieutenant Commander

That big red Cloverfield monster is a potential Federation member.

Roaring in Kirk's face in his language meant "Yes, I would be happy to submit an application to join your interstellar family"
Old 11-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH The KING View Post
That big red Cloverfield monster is a potential Federation member.

Roaring in Kirk's face in his language meant "Yes, I would be happy to submit an application to join your interstellar family"
He's the transporter chief, that'll surprise any boarding parties
Old 11-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Ensign

Hehe are you sure he's not the councilor?

I wasn't aware that twelve Klingons constituted a swarm...
-Kirk
Old 11-22-2008, 06:01 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by United Federation View Post
I am not familiar with the source for those statistics. Are they canon or do they come from a semi-canon source?

In terms of interspecies conflict, by the time of Kirk or later Jean Luc Picard these species had been interacting together for a few centuries. Humans, Vulcans, Andorians, and other members had whole generations born knowing nothing but the Federation. The first years of a combined Federation Starfleet probably had some interspecies conflicts, but those incidents would probably be nothing but a historical footnote by the 24th Century.
*looks around at the real world* Umm... probably not. There are always going to be those who will not let go of their prejudices and they, in turn, infect others.