The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Nmts
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
No. You do have it. But it means that you are not actually a Trekkie. Go re-read all the posts from our resident "purists" and you will see that if this trailer did not pi$$ you off you are not a true fan.
It's science.
There's no one such definition of a "true fan", so let's drop that conceit right now.

And very funny original post... good timing for some laughs amid all the hystrionics around here!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
There's no one such definition of a "true fan", so let's drop that conceit right now.
I understand where you are coming from. Some of us like TNG more than TOS, or DS9 over Voyager. We (not you and I specifically, but fans in general) also disagree over many things. So there is no such thing as a true fan of Trek when it comes to our like and dislikes, our personal tastes, and our opinions. But how can someone be a fan and want this movie to crash and burn?

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 11-16-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Ensign

1) Some are angry that Trek couldn't die with dignity. They're horrified that another movie will be another embarrassment.
2) They're very set in their ways. They're particular in their attention to detail and they don't appreciate people changing things, especially not a Star Wars fan.

There are lots of reasons.

My 2 cents: Star Trek is long past the point where it can die with dignity. The only thing left is fight and fight and fight in the hopes of either once again rising to glory or making a last stand worthy of a place in Sto'vo'kor. I think the new movie will do either admirably

I wasn't aware that twelve Klingons constituted a swarm...
-Kirk
Old 11-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grelev View Post
1) Some are angry that Trek couldn't die with dignity. They're horrified that another movie will be another embarrassment.
2) They're very set in their ways. They're particular in their attention to detail and they don't appreciate people changing things, especially not a Star Wars fan.

There are lots of reasons.

My 2 cents: Star Trek is long past the point where it can die with dignity. The only thing left is fight and fight and fight in the hopes of either once again rising to glory or making a last stand worthy of a place in Sto'vo'kor. I think the new movie will do either admirably
So you are saying there are alot of reasons a "fan" of Trek would WANT this movie to fail, based on what little we know and have seen. Even hardcore canonites I know on this board don't want this movie to FAIL. They are concerned, yes, even horrified that a "Wars" fan is at the helm, but to actively want the movie to Fail, No, they don't want that. Only a few have developed such hatred for this movie that they want it to fail. I believe I am not in the minority when I say that mentality is "un-fan-like"
Old 11-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Fleet Admiral

I see your point and agree with it in general. From what I've read, we have some longtime fans on this board who are upset with the changes they see lately.

On one hand, any change is scary -- I think we're all a tad nervous under whatever emotions rule us while seeing these images and film clips, because we hope the film will turn out well and succeed, and thus worry a bit if it fails to meet our expectations.

Some fans, perhaps many this week at least, have their well-meaning concerns overriding what enthusiasm (if any) they feel -- they're more upset or nervous than they are pleased, so the negative reviews ensue. But I'd say almost all of those fans still want the film to be successful, or want to see TREK overall succeed, it's just not meeting their expectations of TREK... and in some cases, these expectations are SO specific than any change is "wrong" period.

Frankly, anyone looking forward to this film and NOT expecting SOME change was only fooling themselves and avoiding the reality of making a new TREK film in the 21st century. No two pieces of creation can ever be 'the same', that's an impossible standard to hold and meet.

Perhaps only few actually wish Abrams' film ill will -- some just need the attention of being different and standing out from the crowd, others may well hope the film fails because it even tries to change TREK. Sadly, for those fans, STAR TREK is truly dead because without new attempts at telling these stories in this fictional universe, TREK is a museum piece, an artifact -- a lovely and entertaining, classic artifact that (fortunately) will always live on in their favorite form, but a static piece of entertainment frozen for all time nonetheless. Also, any new films can never harm what already exists and entertains us, which some would do well to remember.

We're lucky to have such artifacts in our libraries to watch, to be sure -- but without new attempts to continue the story, TREK can never grow and evolve to better fulfill its creative potential. Growing involves pain and change, not always pleasant experiences, but its the only way to move ahead... and advancement and evolution are what TREK is about.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!

Last edited by MissionTrek08 : 11-17-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
I see your point and agree with it in general. From what I've read, we have some longtime fans on this board who are upset with the changes they see lately.

On one hand, any change is scary -- I think we're all a tad nervous under whatever emotions rule us while seeing these images and film clips, because we hope the film will turn out well and succeed, and thus worry a bit if it fails to meet our expectations.

Some fans, perhaps many this week at least, have their well-meaning concerns overriding what enthusiasm (if any) they feel -- they're more upset or nervous than they are pleased, so the negative reviews ensue. But I'd say almost all of those fans still want the film to be successful, or waht to see TREK overall succeed, it's just not meeting their expectations of TREK... and in some cases, these expectations are SO specific than any change is "wrong" period.

Frankly, anyone looking forward to this film and NOT expecting SOME change was only fooling themselves and avoiding the reality of making a new TREK film in the 21st century. No two pieces of creation can ever be 'the same', that's an impossible standard to hold and meet.

Perhaps only few actually wish Abrams' film ill will -- some just need the attention of being different and standing out from the crowd, others may well hope the film fails because it even tries to change TREK. Sadly, for those fans, STAR TREK is truly dead because without new attempts at telling these stories in this fictional universe, TREK is a museum piece, an artifact -- a lovely and entertaining, classic artifact that (fortunately) will always live on in their favorite form, but a static piece of entertainment frozen for all time nonetheless. Also, any new films can never harm what already exists and entertains us, which some would do well to remember.

We're lucky to have such artifacts in our libraries to watch, to be sure -- but without new attempts to continue the story, TREK can never grow and evolve to better fulfill its creative potential. Growing involves pain and change, not always pleasant experiences, but its the only way to move ahead... and advancement and evolution are what TREK is about.
Damn!! You write well. I should have used the phrase "wish ill will" when I was reffering to what I honestly consider the non true fans.(I use that term reluctantly) I agree with everything you have said here.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Just to let everyone know... I, Ron Salon, am a Trekkie, Trekker, Uber fan! Yes, since 1976. I own all the movies and most of the seasons of the TV shows. But make no mistake; I am by no means upset if they changed some things around for the new movie. For me it’s all about the camaraderie, the excitement that is our future and not to mention how much I would love to meet an alien (I know, what a dork). I could care less if J.T. Kirk did or didn’t drive a red sports car or if the nacelles are not positioned ‘right’. Those things are not important to me. Now if they made Spock slap Uhura, and then they all gang raped her—I would be upset. But from the look of things I think it’s safe to say that even though they changed a few ‘canon’ events, the overall effect appears multiple times better than any other Trek movie in history, IMO. There, I said it—now get mad and bitter and tell me I’m not a real fan or what you have to. I guess we both have NMTS. I will say that if they find my theory to be true about the syndrome, I’m glad I’m the one with these symptoms and not one of the others.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSalon View Post
Just to let everyone know... I, Ron Salon, am a Trekkie, Trekker, Uber fan! Yes, since 1976. I own all the movies and most of the seasons of the TV shows. But make no mistake; I am by no means upset if they changed some things around for the new movie. For me it’s all about the camaraderie, the excitement that is our future and not to mention how much I would love to meet an alien (I know, what a dork). I could care less if J.T. Kirk did or didn’t drive a red sports car or if the nacelles are not positioned ‘right’. Those things are not important to me. Now if they made Spock slap Uhura, and then they all gang raped her—I would be upset. But from the look of things I think it’s safe to say that even though they changed a few ‘canon’ events, the overall effect appears multiple times better than any other Trek movie in history, IMO. There, I said it—now get mad and bitter and tell me I’m not a real fan or what you have to. I guess we both have NMTS. I will say that if they find my theory to be true about the syndrome, I’m glad I’m the one with these symptoms and not one of the others.