The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Diverse Federation in Star Trek XI?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Then why do all Starfleet vessels have furniture, signs, consoles for humans and english letters on the hull?
Probably for the same reason that English, American style, is the language of international aviation.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Then why do all Starfleet vessels have furniture, signs, consoles for humans and english letters on the hull?
Because no viewer can read imaginary languages, hence also the universal translator or the fact that artifical gravity generators never fail (but in TUC), lights go off, every redundant system of antimatter containment can fail, half teh ship can blow, but never artifical gravity.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

Oh, but Klingon ships have Klingon writings everywhere... same with Vulcan, Andorian ... etc. ships

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 11-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grelev View Post
It probably didn't happen overnight. I'd figure that they didn't give their fleets up per se, but combined them under starfleet. i would imagine the early Federation Starfleet having a lot of ships from not only Earth, but from Vulcan, Tellar and Andoria. As they came together to design and build "Starfleet" ships, the older models were phased out for a more uniform style fleet.
Well put. Eventually the techincal expertise of humans, Vulcans, Andorians, and Tellarites was combined into new classes of starship.

There is a popular theory that the reason the Federation and Starfleet were headquartered on Earth is because it was the one race that all others trusted prior to the founding of the UFP. The government of United Earth was allied with the Vulcans, on friendly, cooperative terms with the Andorians, and appeared to have no conflict with the Tellarites. As a result, those races had every reason to make Earth the capital of their new interstellar government.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Why would Vulcan, Andoria, Tellar and Alpha Centauri give up their fleets and let Earth's Starfleet handle everything?
You're not getting it!! Starfleet was probably the best organized and best able to readily assume the lead role. After time, Starfleet became larger as the other planets contributed to it's growth, both through manpower and raw resources. The command structure and ship design remained recognizable even with the addition of alien technology from the other member planets.

Please don't mention Alpha Centauri, nothing written about Alpha centauri has become canon onscreen. Were there aliens or was it just an early Earth colony that sought independance? Depends on which book you read.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grelev View Post
It probably didn't happen overnight. I'd figure that they didn't give their fleets up per se, but combined them under starfleet. i would imagine the early Federation Starfleet having a lot of ships from not only Earth, but from Vulcan, Tellar and Andoria. As they came together to design and build "Starfleet" ships, the older models were phased out for a more uniform style fleet.
great explanation. This is what I was trying to get at.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Oh, but Klingon ships have Klingon writings everywhere... same with Vulcan, Andorian ... etc. ships
please don't take it too seriously!!! I enjoy conjecture, but don't lose site Trek was made in the USA for a television audience!!!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Well it was not up to JJ. He directed a script from Orci and Kurtzman. Orci being the hard Trek fan here, me thinks that these elements will stay true, yet perhaps be expounded upon in hopefully logical ways.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhaige View Post
Well it was not up to JJ. He directed a script from Orci and Kurtzman. Orci being the hard Trek fan here, me thinks that these elements will stay true, yet perhaps be expounded upon in hopefully logical ways.
which post are you replying to?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by United Federation View Post
I have been wondering if JJ is going to make the Federation and Starfleet appear more diverse than the original series and movies.
The thread starters