The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Diverse Federation in Star Trek XI?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Yep, sure was. Here is the link:

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...cle/70414.html

I think there was another all Vulcan crew ship mentioned in DS9.
yes, you are right.
they were playing baseball against them.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Yep, sure was. Here is the link:

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...cle/70414.html

I think there was another all Vulcan crew ship mentioned in DS9.
IIRC, that ship was the USS T'kumbra. A Nebula-class starship.

Personally, I don't like the message that things like that send. The United Federation of Planets is supposed to be a inclusive, democratic government that values diversity. The very idea that ships would be crewed solely by one species is troubling.

It has been long established that Earth, Vulcan, Andoria, and Tellar founded the UFP. They bound themselves together in the hope of a better future.

IMO, the only movie that came close to showing the diversity of the Federation was ST: The Voyage Home. The scences of the Federation Council show a VERY diverse group, including all of the races I list above and more. If the government is diverse, why can't Starfleet be?
Old 11-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Fleet Admiral

It is just a money thing, that's why there were more aliens aboard the E in TAS and more aliens in subsequent series like DS9.
Starfleet HQ should not be on Earth, humans should be but a tiny fraction of Starfleet personal, but it is just not affordable and a certain "human centricity" is hard to take out of Trek. Although it is TV and cinema stuff, we can still let our phantasy flow and imagine more aliens in Starfleet.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
It is just a money thing, that's why there were more aliens aboard the E in TAS and more aliens in subsequent series like DS9.
Starfleet HQ should not be on Earth, humans should be but a tiny fraction of Starfleet personal, but it is just not affordable and a certain "human centricity" is hard to take out of Trek. Although it is TV and cinema stuff, we can still let our phantasy flow and imagine more aliens in Starfleet.
I honestly think it had less to do with budget constrains then fear the audience could feel alienated, literally. The heroes had to represent America in contrast to foreign challenges and threads. Thats why not only Starfleet but also the Office of the President of the Federation had to be located on Earth and both had to be located in the U.S. (where else ).

The only exeption was DS9. I dont know how many Episodes there are of that show where all main characters in the main plot are aliens.

Concerning the idea of "seperatism" in Starfleet: Lets assume the United Federation is less a USA in space and more like the United Nations, the European Union or NATO. Every world would have its own Starfleet but in regard of making cooperation more efficient rules and regulations are relatively equal as equipment and ships too.
So the Yorktown could be a Constellation Class owned by the Vulcan gouvernment (as the french NATO partner owns american Hercules airplanes for instance).
Old 11-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

That was perhaps the initial fear of a fiendish Spock, of Satan himself by some studio folks in the 60s, but I doubt that fear about aliens existed or still exist today.
From a dramatic perspective, it is more interesting to have only one or two aliens, because they always offer nice contrasts, like Spock or Worf and Data or Phlox.
After all, we have only a human perspective so the purpose of aliens is to show us somethign about ourselves.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

Why would Vulcan, Andoria, Tellar and Alpha Centauri give up their fleets and let Earth's Starfleet handle everything?

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 11-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Fleet Admiral

To clarify some things:
Starfleet (also referred to as the Federation Starfleet after 2161) was the military and deep-space exploratory service maintained by the United Federation of Planets.
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Starfleet

If one wants an in-universe explanation for the seemingly dominance of humans in Starfleet, Earth's Starfleet transition into UFP'S Starfleet implied that it's HQ remained on Earth, that many procedures remained as they were before, that a lot of humans applied to the Academy and that other UFP members kept there initial exploration/military agency like the Vulcans seemed to do (which TNG episode was that?).
Old 11-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Ensign

It probably didn't happen overnight. I'd figure that they didn't give their fleets up per se, but combined them under starfleet. i would imagine the early Federation Starfleet having a lot of ships from not only Earth, but from Vulcan, Tellar and Andoria. As they came together to design and build "Starfleet" ships, the older models were phased out for a more uniform style fleet.

I wasn't aware that twelve Klingons constituted a swarm...
-Kirk
Old 11-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Fleet Admiral

Then why do all Starfleet vessels have furniture, signs, consoles for humans and english letters on the hull?

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-