The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > New Enterprise...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Admiral

I definitely see what you're saying with the large problems and financial order, may be just as big as all the rest, being that the world's wealth is shifting to corporations. The way things are going I could definitely see something like a Weyland-Yutani as in Alien arising. Might be thinking too much on that, but things seem to be heading in that direction.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 11-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Fleet Admiral

I don't think that such large companies arise, it happens when there is something like a natural monopoly like with operation systems in the case of Microsoft or when companies produce very specialized goods where larger company size leads to more efficiency.
I think more interesting is how far one can contain the spillover of the current financial crisis into development countries right now and how they deal with global warming which hits them hardest and with overpopulation, which occurs also there and of course how we react and assist them.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I think more interesting is how far one can contain the spillover of the current financial crisis into development countries right now and how they deal with global warming which hits them hardest and with overpopulation, which occurs also there and of course how we react and assist them.
good point.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Ensign

I don't mean to sound jingoistic, but I believe capitalism will save us all. Just look at the European Union. There will never be another war in Western Europe because everyone is too busy buying stuff from each other.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think it has more to do with interdependencies which are of course partly economical, current currency we have over here, no trade barriers and so one, but also partly political since quite some government activity is done on the EU level instead of the national level. It surely reduces the risk of violent conflict, but if there emerges a real problem, a country still might quit the Union.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Going back to the sentient life and extrasolar planets all that, found this article. Kinda interesting.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news...I.New.Planets/

Old 11-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Ensign

Default E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
light speed...we've had detection only for what...a hundred years...
the longer time goes on the less likely there is intelligent advanced life out there.
Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm still not quite sure I understand your argument here. Let's say there exists or existed a civilization that is or was 50,000 LY from us. Hypothetically, if they were advanced enough to start broadcasting radio signals, say, 50,000 years ago, those signals would just now be reaching us, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I think conservative estimates of the Drake equation are more of the order of about 1 civilisation or even less in our galaxy.
I was actually quoting that number from a book by an astrobiologist named David Grinspoon. The book is called Lonely Planets: The Natural Philosophy of Alien Life. Here's the quote from page 299 re: the Drake Equation: "... even in the most pessimistic estimate of all these brilliant scientists, the galaxy should contain, at present, a thousand advanced civilizations."

However, I'm sure that figure is hotly debated among astrobiologists.

Last edited by Captain Tightpants : 12-05-2008 at 05:01 AM. Reason: OCD.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:33 AM
Ensign

Errrr, Isn't this supposed to be a discussion about the New Enterprise
Old 11-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Ensign

Why must we follow the 1960 version? Thats what they had to create the enterprise, the budget and technology that was in that error.

Why is it so bad to update it with more modern look. The fanboys "US" can not keep trek afloat forever. We need new audience, and trust me, 12 year old Jimmy isn't going to watch a movie that is showing a 1960s starship. No matter how good the story line is, if Jimmy does see "BOOM" and shiny things he going to tell his friends how bad the movie was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
To be honest even the NX-01 bridge was clearly significantly more advanced looking than the TOS bridge and it was supposed to be a century older. So when you're dealing with a show made in the 1960s exact replication is always going to be difficult because of the colour palette and style of finish. But then I cannot call myself a purist when it comes to some areas of design.

And I must take the approach offered by Mission:Trek, which is to actuall wait and see the film to understand exactly what has been changed, if there's a reason, what that reason is and whether it's sigificant enough to consider too severe. I'm willing to bet not a single person on this forum know precisley, to the letter, to the tiniest detail, what happens in the film, and I see no point in scorning it until the context of the changes can be understood.

Back to the Ent design though. My feeling based on the teaser is for the visual detail that was seen in TMP, as it's clearly the TMP style saucer and bridge module, married with TOS nacelles, refinished to match the rest of the ship. As to the Deflector dish, I have no guess, possibly closer to TOS though is what I'm expecting.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:50 AM
Vice Admiral

12-year old Jimmy won't know it is a 1960's starship design unless somebody tells him so. If the original Matt Jeffries design were updated using modern CGI technology as the Defiant was in "In A Mirror, Darkly", then it would look perfectly modern and play very well on the big screen. Just look at deg3d's design to see what could have been. EdenFX also has a beautifully rendered CGI version of the original Jeffries design that is fantastic. So that argument doesn't fly with me.