The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > U.S.S. Kelvin Playmates Toy?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

OK...but seriously...can someone give me the coles notes version of th ealtered timeline...I know Spoke goes back but I figured he would be trying to prevent alteration? I take it the charge happened and he goes back to correct it...which is why everything looks so different?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisko89 View Post
So, is it a dead cert that the E is from the altered timeline? Does the timeline divert when the Kelvin is destroyed?
That was my idea from another thread. I guess where the Kelvin is destroyed, the change in the timeline changed how the constitution class was planned. Instead of an exploration ship, it is now more of a battleship. I also think the reason it is more TMP like is because the constrution date got pushed back. By pushing it back, Robert April never gets command, its given directly to Pike. Also, because it was pushed back, they where able to impliment more TMP tech instead of TOS tech. Thats why it looks more like TMP than TOS. Nobody really like my idea in the other forum. This all assumes that the Kelvin wasn't destroyed in the original timeline. What date the Kelvin is destroyed may also have an impact.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Ensign

Maybe; It could clear a few things up.

The U.S.S. Kelvin is destroyed in battle against Nero's timeship. Listed as KIA are Commander Kirk and legendry Starfleet interior designer Wok Gan.

Meanwhile on Earth at the annual Starfleet designers conference.....

"So, it is agreed by a unanimous vote of the central committee. 60's kitsch is definitely not the way forward. That **** is seriously whack and has no place on a starship."
Old 11-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Martinez View Post
That was my idea from another thread. I guess where the Kelvin is destroyed, the change in the timeline changed how the constitution class was planned. Instead of an exploration ship, it is now more of a battleship. I also think the reason it is more TMP like is because the constrution date got pushed back. By pushing it back, Robert April never gets command, its given directly to Pike. Also, because it was pushed back, they where able to impliment more TMP tech instead of TOS tech. Thats why it looks more like TMP than TOS. Nobody really like my idea in the other forum. This all assumes that the Kelvin wasn't destroyed in the original timeline. What date the Kelvin is destroyed may also have an impact.
Sounds like a sound theory; it brings to mind the changes which were forced upon Starfleet by the disapearance of the Enterprise C in Yesterdays Enterprise. Assuming of course that the destruction of the Kelvin did not occur in the original timeline.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

Oh, and didn't the authors say that Yesterday's Enterprise was one of their favorites?

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 11-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Oh, and didn't the authors say that Yesterday's Enterprise was one of their favorites?
I believe so. If this is the case, they can do whatever they want. Kirk can drive his manual shift corvett, the enterprise can look the way it does, Pike can be in command and meet Kirk. All of this can happen and at the end, they fix the timeline and TOS is all back in cannon.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Vice Admiral

That sounds like a fantastic idea. It's what I was hoping from the first time I saw that awful looking bridge. Hopefully, after Nero screws up the timeline, Kirk and Spock will fix everything and we will see the REAL Enterprise and the REAL bridge in all their glory at the end of this movie. If not, then I will just have to run on the assumption that this entire movie is set in an alternate universe of Apple store bridges and really flimsy, crappy looking Constitution class ships. Bummer.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Sounds like an unlikely possibility IMO. Don't forget that just like the frist picture of the Kelvin, teh first picture of the E was released to make people talk. Guess on Monday she will look better in motion.

Which don't you think is a possibility, the theory or the toy being made?
Old 11-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Commander

no guarantee it will be fixed. Maybe it will, but this time line will still exist, paving the way for more movies.