The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Hope for those with none. (Re: New E)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky D View Post
I haven't heard of this type of scenario, however; I like your line of thinking.
Thanks.

It seems to me that in every Star Trek movie we rarely see a lot of ships in Earth orbit. Since Earth is the home of Star Fleet with lots of delegations travelling back and forth from their home planets we should expect to see at least an Andorian or Vulcan vessel now and again or more than one vessel in the space port, which by the way looks far too small to accommodate many ships at all. In TMP we only had the Enterprise available to protect the planet. One would expect Star Fleet to maintain at least a minimum amount of ships to protect the planet and its interests in the solar system.

How many ships are there in Star Fleet?

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 11-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Thanks.

It seems to me that in every Star Trek movie we rarely see a lot of ships in Earth orbit. Since Earth is the home of Star Fleet with lots of delegations travelling back and forth from their home planets we should expect to see at least an Andorian or Vulcan vessel now and again or more than one vessel in the space port, which by the way looks far too small to accommodate many ships at all. In TMP we only had the Enterprise available to protect the planet. One would expect Star Fleet to maintain at least a minimum amount of ships to protect the planet and its interests in the solar system.

It was hilarious in the text commentary of TMP when (as Kirk is saying that "The only starship in interception range is the Enterprise.") Mike Okuda says: This seems to happen a lot. I wonder if other starships stray away when the Enterprise is in town, knowing that danger must be near?

Old 11-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Vice Admiral

Lol!!

Old 11-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Thanks.

How about this...

There must be orbital restrictions in place. Makes sense. Make Mars and the moon waypoints and bring traffic to Earth via vessels with clearances.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Seven View Post
How about this...

There must be orbital restrictions in place. Makes sense. Make Mars and the moon waypoints and bring traffic to Earth via vessels with clearances.
That kinda makes sense there. I mean, in real world air traffic control, any two planes that apparently come within so many miles of each other on conflicting flight paths is considered a near collision, as I understand it.

It could be possibly the same with Star Trek rules of flight around Earth.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
If the big E has always had the option to separate the saucer section from the rest of the craft in times of crisis.

One would think that this type of operation could also be used as a means of upgrading the ships engines at any stage, sort a plug and play system.

Theoretically you could simply uncouple the primary hull (saucer section) and whack on a new secondary hull, nacelles (or a complete replacement).
It would be relatively easy then to refit the bridge with any new systems leaving the rest of the saucer alone and be on your way in a few days.

Has anyone any knowledge of this type of scenario been mentioned in any of the series or books?
Seems to have been Matt Jeffries' idea, here is what we supposedly wrote or said working on Phase II:

Basically," Jefferies said, "what I did to it was change the power units, and make a slight change in the struts that supported them. I gave the main hull a taper, then I went flat-sided and thin with the power units, rather than keeping the cylindrical shape. Trying to work out the logic of the refit, I knew a lot of the equipment inside would change, but I didn't see that there would be any need to change the exterior of the saucer. Certainly, though, the engines would be a primary thing to change. Part of the theory of the ship's design in the first place was that we didn't know what these powerful things were or how devastating it would be if anything went awry, so that's why we kept them away from the crew. And that meant they could be easily changed if you had to replace one."

http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/phase2_1.php
Old 11-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Midshipman

I must admit i will never understand how can somebody look at that pic and tell me this enterprise is RADICALLY DIFRENT then the original one, and be serious about it? Ok yes it's a LITTLE BIT difrent, but cmon, it's not like they did the one from series called Enterprise? The basic shape is pretty much the same with few changes here and there, but overall, it looks verry similar. When i looked at it i know right away it's old TOS.
So seriously, yes difrent a bit, but how can you be serious and tell that it's radicaly difrent?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
That kinda makes sense there. I mean, in real world air traffic control, any two planes that apparently come within so many miles of each other on conflicting flight paths is considered a near collision, as I understand it.

It could be possibly the same with Star Trek rules of flight around Earth.
That would make sense if space wasn't so huge. Earth has a total airspace of 10,919,220,000 cubic kilometers. But low earth orbit alone has a total volume of 116,863,170,000 cubic kilometers, two orders of magnitude greater. If you extend near-earth space out to the average altitude of the moon, that gives a total volume of 2.37928758 × 10^17 cubic kilometers. Sounds like space is plenty big for lots of starships.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

Hope: Assured Expectation....

you know...before this ship...I think I had some of that.
Unbelievable....wow....how bout that?
I was just pondering how a long time ago I thought....Nothing could be worse than the NX Class Star Ship....

how-could-I-be-so-wrong.............................................

Old 11-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Hope: Assured Expectation....

you know...before this ship...I think I had some of that.
Unbelievable....wow....how bout that?
I was just pondering how a long time ago I thought....Nothing could be worse than the NX Class Star Ship....

how-could-I-be-so-wrong.............................................
At least the creators made an NX-class ship appear to be less advanced than a Constitution-class.