The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > A Vote Of Confidence....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Federation Councillor

Well it seems clear that with every other situation where something established is re-evaluated for a afresh audience that there will always be two camps until the film is released. They won't be able to reconcile with each other until after the film at least, so it's just a matter of waiting to see the whole film.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Commander

He's done worse than kill us, he's hurt us. And he wishes to go on, hurting us. He's left us at the center of a dead planet. Buried alive.....buried alive.......buried alive. The gauntlet has been thrown down. There will be no peace until Trek lives.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Seven View Post
No doubt the naysayers will be in line (wearing trenchcoats and sunglasses) to see this movie. If only to see if they're were right. Then magically they'll cross over.
I'm sure that makes for a nice daydream for studio execs. And that's all it is.

Quote:
This is a new Trek for a new day.
Then for the sake of ethics and honesty, it should have had a new name and the courage to sail or sink under a new reputation instead of siphoning light off something it had no intention of attempting to live up to.

Saturday Night Live had more respect for Star Trek than this project seems to.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Ensign

I'm from the UK and the same thing happened to Doctor Who (which remember is the oldest, longest running most succesful sci fi series on tv ever!!)

They changed everything even the sacred Tardis (though they didnt change the exterior I'll grant you that)

Doctor Who was in the same place as Star Trek is now, dead in the water.
We had dvd's, reruns on satellite channels but us fans were thought of as nerdy and sad.

Then they brought us new WHO and its become more succesful than it was before!!!
It even made the news on all channels at prime time when he was supposedly going to regenerate.

nobody complains because we are just grateful that its become COOL again and the fall out from it is is that the CLASSIC series is more popular than its ever been because all the kids want to see the old ones.

We original fans still have our CLassic series (and to be honest I think they are better) but you also have the option to watch all new Who if you want.

So go see this film and if you dont like it you dont have to buy the dvd or go see any more and you can watch all the classic episodes every day for ever.

And it can live alongside this new improved Trek in harmony just like the Star Trek universe should be.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:19 AM
Captain

Nice comparison to Dr. Who.

I've heard the same argument made for the new/old BattleStar Galatica as well.

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Saturday Night Live had more respect for Star Trek than this project seems to.
Quite a statement and so very much out of bounds. We all need to take a deep breath and chill. Relax. It's going to be OK.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post
......from the producer and star of Star Trek Phase II James Cawley, who had seen the design of the new E last year.

It's a good read, and hopefully will inspire some confidence in the doubters out there, especially those worried about canon!

http://trekmovie.com/2008/11/12/edit...ar-trek-movie/
I thought he was actually a moderate….
But he linked Joel Schumacher’s Batmans with Tim Burton’s Batman’s….as if they were they were…all Tim Burtons…
That’s like only recognizing the good and not the bad. Is he really moderate?
I don’t know…

He was truthful.

Neither was this person that saw the movie in the prescreening. I mean really....that's 7 months before the movie ever comes out....this person on the forums that has seen the movie must be pretty high up on someone's favorite list in order to get a seat next to J.J.

I doubt they'd come on the Paramount forum and bash it...
this maybe a hired employee or something...but all this OVER positive flow of information....it's feels a little forced.

I'll remain impartial because it's JJ...
All bets are off once the lights go down.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post

Neither was this person that saw the movie in the prescreening. I mean really....that's 7 months before the movie ever comes out...
I do believe that that poster did say it was only a few minutes (around 20, I think) from the film...aka an excerpt....not the film in its entirety. The poster was apparently wowed by what little he saw, which is certainly more than anyone else has seen, so his opinion might be just a little more qualified.

[quote=Saquist
I'll remain impartial because it's JJ...
All bets are off once the lights go down.[/quote]
Now that's the logical approach. And indeed you are right. Once the lights go down, and the feature film has begun....all bets are off.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Lieutenant

Thank GOD Batman is not TREK...
Old 11-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I do believe that that poster did say it was only a few minutes (around 20, I think) from the film...aka an excerpt....not the film in its entirety. The poster was apparently wowed by what little he saw, which is certainly more than anyone else has seen, so his opinion might be just a little more qualified.

Now that's the logical approach. And indeed you are right. Once the lights go down, and the feature film has begun....all bets are off.
You're saying...he didn't see the whole movie...
I see....I thought he said he prescreened it.